Studio One 5.4.1 crashing when opening saved song

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Bennett.Jackson, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

@BEAT16, he's my system specs.

Windows 10 Pro. Clean install the other day on an SSD

i7-9700K @ 3.60Ghz.

RTX 2070.

16 GB RAM.

Behringer UMC404HD audio interface with the latest driver.

Studio One 5 V5.5.2. Fresh install, no previous version on this reformatted SSD.

I had upgraded to Windows 11, but with each update, Windows become more unstable to the point of it randomly crashing, hence the fresh installation on Windows 10. It's been absolutely perfect since. By "playing around" I mean trying a manor of configurations when met with the option to start in safe mode. So far I haven't found any configuration that seems to weed out what the error is.

I've just loaded up a track three times in Studio One to try and recreate the crash. The first two times it opened perfectly, the third time it crashed after opening a project and displaying it for a few seconds.

I'll take a look at the links you've provided now. Thank you for those.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  2. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The safe mode thing (bluecreens) is a serious thing, can you write down the error numbers the next time you crash.

Did you check all cables if they are tight, is your CPU fan running, are the RAM bars tight?
    Have you updated all the drivers? Graphics card in correctly?

3. Parasite-B

@BEAT16 Sorry, I'm not getting the actual blue screen of death. It's been fine that way. It's just Studio One itself that crashes. I meant the box that opens up the next time you start it that asks is you want to disable ARA, ASIO, start normally. Those are what I've been trying combinations of. One that's popped up recently is "disable need 533". At times I can reinstall the plugin and it will work straight away, other times it won't work at all.

All of my driver's are up-to-date, and cables are plugged in properly. Same for my RAM sticks and graphics card.

I don't have any problems anywhere else, aside from Studio One. I also use my PC for gaming and graphic design, and I've not had a single problem, so I'm thinking it's not hardware related. I'm running a memory diagnostic right now, which is nearing its end, and no problems found so far.

I have made a couple of tweaks in my PC using the links that you've helpfully provided. I'll run a project a few times after this scan and see what happens.

Many thanks for trying to help with this issue. It's greatly appreciated.

Edit: Yep, it's still crashing after spiking my CPU to 100%.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. Parasite-B

@BEAT16 I've been scanning through a whole bunch of forums, and it seems a lot of users have been having this problem, even with legit versions, so I take back what I? said about the cracked version. That's a lesson to me in looking before saying something.

I guess I just have to wait for the next update and hope that it fixes this issue.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You can of course install the previous version.

I also have Studio One (cash paid) but I have never had a crash.
    Can you post the error message sometime or take a screen shot of it?

6. Parasite-B

@BEAT16 I certainly can do that, but! I do think I have found a solution. I need to test it a few more times firs to make sure that it is a definite solution, but I've found that if I turn off the very CPU plugins I have in this track before I save and close the project I can then open the project with no problems... So far. The offending plugins seem to be anything from Neural DSP (which I currently have 6 instances of open) and CTC-1.

I have just saved a diagnostics report. I don't know if there's a way that I can send it over to you on here? If not I can always upload to Mediafire and post a link.

I will replicate the problem again, though, and post a screenshot here.

7. Parasite-B

upload_2022-5-19_15-27-25.png That

Attached Files:

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You cannot read a *.dmp extension. So you do not need to post.

Windows:
    If Studio One crashes on Windows, a dump file with a .dmp extension on it will be created. The file will be created in C:\Users\Your User Account\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus. You can simply attach the .dmp file to a support ticket and we would be happy to assist. You can log a support ticket from your account under the "Support" tab.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

First, back up your data!

I would guess that some plugins cause the crash.

I would first disable only VST 3 plugin folder.
    I would empty the entire contents of the VST2 plugin folder and save it somewhere else.
    Then I would copy plugin by plugin back in there until I identified the faulty plugin. So after each plugin restart Studio One.

P.S.: Do you have iLok up to date ?

10. Parasite-B

@BEAT16 I'm thinking exactly the same as you. Need 533 constantly gives me grief when it comes to disabling a plugin with that start screen. I really am starting to think that it's my fault and error. I honestly am starting to think that I am pushing my system way too hard with my current project.

I will try your suggestion, though.

And no! I've not even installed iLok on my system. I completely forgot about it.

This is going to sound like noob question, but do I just download it straight from the site?

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You can just download and install Ilok. https://www.ilok.com

12. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Might be an AI problem.

From Presonus Manual - Appendix 1 - The AI Guide for Modern Producers.
    - Push button A and Studio One will compose your song for you.
    - Push button B and Studio One will arrange the instrumentation for your song.
    - Push button C and Studio One will mix and master your production.
    Any manual intervention in any of the above stages will result in Studio One refusing to open your project
    and if really pissed off will simply crash.
    Do as you are told - human!

13. Parasite-B

@BEAT16 thanks for that, man. And for real, thank you so much again for all of your help!

Next time I won't try to push my system so hard.