Studio One 5.4.1 crashing when opening saved song

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Bennett.Jackson, Dec 7, 2021.

1. I thought alonzo86 was kidding because he said he had no ARA process in his project. Neither did I! How are you supposed to know to disable ARA when none of the plugs you have in your project use it? That's why this solution seemed kind of ridiculous. There's no way to get to it unless you're just guessing.

2. alonzo86

alonzo86 Member

Glad it helped ! Obviously it's a bug...

Question, do you have Revoice R2R installed maybe ?

3. Nope, Revoice is not installed. I agree with you, it's a bug of some sort, and man, did I just waste a heck of a lot of time dealing with it. I'm just glad now that I didn't lose a ton of work... I was freaking out!

Thanks again for your help!

4. alonzo86

alonzo86 Member

I thought it was maybe revoice problem, because I have it, and I did use it in this project, but I commited the files...

I will probably go legit with S1, just for the sake of reporting the bugs :D even though I don't use it as my main DAW.

5. pcdocstl

pcdocstl Member

I would say it is more likely a bug in the cracked software or your machine than in the product itself or it would be more prevalent within the PreSonus, as well as other related, support sites. Speaking of your PC, what hardware are you running S1 on? Windows sucks. Always has, always will. Spending more than 10 hours on a single problem without performing a backup/clone and then complete reinstall of everything is pure lunacy. For those of you with limited system resources and resort to juggling plugins, PreSonus has introduced a Plug-in NAP feature within Studio One 5.4. Yes, nap as in sleep! Here's more about that - https://www.google.com/search?q=studio+1+5.4+plugin+nap

My Studio One rig has worked flawlessly since I moved to the PreSonus platform a couple years ago, quickly jumping on the PreSonus Sphere mega-bundle (which I feel is the greatest bargain in the audio universe just get it when on sale for $115 most holidays). Prior to that, the last DAW I used that was comparatively trouble free was Digital Orchestrator Pro close to 30 years ago! In between was just one buggy crapshoot after crappy bugshoot and I went through them all. Most more than once throughout the years whenever they would perform a total rewrite, change ownership, or even a name change (cakewalk/sonar/cakewalk).

Some excellent (mostly for windows) things I learned through it all (I got my first job as a tech at small chain Computer Country in 1981) is reboot often, reload annually (or bi-annually for less used machines), driver updates are a blessing/curse (MS drivers 99% curse), and cracked/patched WAREZ can be buggy as hell.

6. drb9091

drb9091 Newbie

Just saw this thread
    (I had an older login from years ago that I don't have a functioning email for anymore so had to create a new one)

On mac, I had Studio One 3, and it was working while I had a project going. Then re-opening the project it crashed.
    Sent info to PreSonus and they told me, paraphrasing, "disable all your plugins and re-enable them one by one checking to see which one crashed it" and I said "Do you mean each plugin or each version of the plugin, VST1, AU, etc?" and they said "Each Version" and I asked if they didn't just have a LOG that could dump which plugin crashed it and they said they didn't.

Well I told them this was an unacceptable method bc 1) I don't have time to go through my 400 plugins and 3+ versions of each one to find the buggy one and 2) I wasn't going to give up on my Commercially Purchased Mainstream plugins. I have Waves, UA, Slate, Toontracks, iZotope,, Sound Toys, Brainworx, etc, NONE of them are weirdly unknown or crack plugins. PreSonus should be investigating what blows them up or not, or have a viable dump log where they can tell where a problem lies for them or the user to suss out OR have an auto-feature that remembers what it last tried and auto-cancels that version of the plugin like some other DAWs do.

So every new version I check to see what people say. It's Studio One 5, and thats been out a while, and I read a thread like this and I think "Oh, they STILL are having that problem, not ready for prime time" and I read someone saying to do what they told me to do years ago. It's like telling someone when they complain that there is a problem with their home's door shutting properly in the frame "Well, just dismantle your entire house and rebuild it and that should fix the problem." Its just begging for a big and well-deserved curse.

The shame is, Studio One is a luscious looking DAW, I like that many controllers (of course their own) integrate fantastically but this plugin issue keeps me away, unfortunately.

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Tell me which version you are using now and are you still having crashes. How long ago did you have this problem?

8. drb9091

drb9091 Newbie

I was on Studio One 3, sold it, and am lurking to see when PreSonus can make a version that will have robust plugin handling. So I don't have a version of it currently, despite WANTING to.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I have PreSonus - Studio One 4 Professional v4.6.0 and nothing has ever crashed on me. I would rather optimize my computer.

What kind of computer do you have and what is your audio interface ?

Don't let audio glitches ruin your performances!
    www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

LatencyMon 7.00
    The LatencyMon software analyzes and identifies which device, which driver or which service is causing audio dropouts or malfunctions.
    Real-time audio suitability checker for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/2016/2012/2008 (x86 and x64)
    Scroll Down to: System Monitoring Tools www.resplendence.com/downloads

Native Instruments - Windows Tuning Tips for Audio Processing
    https://support.native-instruments....1729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

PreSonus - Optimizing Your Computer for Audio - Windows 10
    https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10

Ableton - Optimizing Windows for Audio
    https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071469-Optimizing-Windows-for-Audio

FL Studio - Optimizing FL Studio performance
    www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/app_opt.htm

Steinberg - Windows für die Arbeit mit DAWs optimieren
    https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/...d-Optimierung-einer-Digital-Audio-Workstation

Focusrite - Windows für die Arbeit mit DAWs optimieren
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

10. drb9091

drb9091 Newbie

I am using Universal Audio Apollo 8 Quad into either a 2012 iMac or 2014 15" MacBook Pro
    I use Reaper with no problem with plugins. That is, IF it has a problem it auto-disables it.

I see they allow 30 day demo and then it reverts to a free version of Studio One 5?
    Generally I don't like to waste my time, but I suppose I could find that old project I had to port stems over from
    and see if it still blows up under 5's demo version.

11. drb9091

drb9091 Newbie

Apparently I didn't sell it. Studio One 3 is still active in my account. Hmmm, I was wrong. So upgrade is $149 to 5, but I can still try the Demo for 30 days.

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You need this one: PreSonus - Studio One 4 Professional v4.6.2
    This is the last version of Studio One V4.

[​IMG]

13. drb9091

drb9091 Newbie

Whats the advantage of V4 vs the latest V5?

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You save the money for the update to 5. Updates from Studio One 4 Professional are $149.95. With each update and new features, Studio One becomes more and more complicated and error-prone. It is always an eternal update of the new functions. If you stay with version 4.6.2 you don't have to worry about the annoying updates. This version is also very stable.

15. ablekuma

ablekuma Noisemaker

After a daily search, I found the intruder! It turned out to be Steinberg Spectralayers. I deleted its plugin from the VST3 folder and S1 began to open songs again. I reinstalled the previously deleted Melodyne and a miracle! Everything works :)

If you don't have Spectralayers, then the usual suspects are:

Old Melodyne (before v5.1)
    VocALign
    Auto-Align Post 2
    Hit'n'mix RipX

Hope it helps.

16. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

Hey guys, the same problem as OP happened to me today (cracked Studio One hanging/freezing when opening projects) on a newer version (5.5). Anyone have a solution for this? It happens with EVERY single project regardless of what is in it. Creating a new project works fine.
    I read thru this post. Disabling ARA support is what fixes it, but I don't know why. What even is ARA? And do I have to force quit EVERY time I want ARA support to be disabled?

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

ARA
    Audio Random Access (commonly abbreviated to ARA) is an extension for audio plug-in interfaces, such as AU, VST and RTAS, allowing them to exchange a greater amount of audio information with digital audio workstation (DAW) software. It was developed in a collaboration between Celemony Software and PreSonus.

Functionality
    ARA increases the amount of communication possible between DAW software and a plug-in, allowing them to exchange important information, such as audio data, tempo, pitch, and rhythm, for an entire song, rather than just at the moment of playback.

This increased amount of information exchange, and availability of data from other points in time, removes the need for audio material to be transferred to & from the plug-in, allowing that plug-in to be used as a more closely integrated part of the DAW's overall interfac

18. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

Personally, I can't help but feel that it's a bug with the cracked version.

I've been having the exact same problem, and that's on a PC which has recently been formatted, then the latest version of Studio One installed, then a whole fresh bunch of plugins.

Watching the task manager Studio One uses 100% of my CPU, which in turn seems to cause the crash. I've played around with a whole bunch of setting, with zero luck on finding something stable. It definitely seems like the cracked version to me.

I'm just going to sit back, wait for a new update and hope that that fixes the problem.

It just seems to be the cracked version in general.

Also with this version if can't set my block size to the highest setting with my cursor turning into a constant blue circle. That's using a Behringer UMC404HD. It eats away at my CPU and freezes everything.

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I can't actuate that there is a bug.

What DAW are you using now? Which audio interface? CPU? RAM?
    If you write more about your hardware we can help you better.
    What did you do it with before? What do you mean by playing around?

Please optimize yours for muisk production beforehand:

1.) PreSonus - Optimizing Your Computer for Audio - Windows 10
    https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10

2.) Don't let audio glitches ruin your performances! www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  20. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

@BEAT16, thank you for the reply. And yes, adding that info would definitely have been helpful. Apologies.

I'll send a better reply with all of my specs when I'm at my PC later.

Thanks again.