Studio One 5.4.1 crashing when opening saved song

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Bennett.Jackson, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Was hoping one of you might have seen this and knows the solution. I'm using S1, latest R2R version, on a Win 10 machine. I'll save a song/project I'm working on, but when re-opening S1 and attempting to re-open that project/song S1 crashes and has to be closed out from Task Manager. Did some fiddling with permissions for folder where those song files are stored but that didn't correct it. This problem occurs with any saved song. Any ideas? Thanks.

3. SharkBait O-reily

SharkBait O-reily Kapellmeister

i've had similar issues -- for that, try opening the project without 3rd party plugins and then disable all plugs and save... and start opening, and enabling them plugins one by one and saving them and closing project.. then reopening the project to see which plugin is causing the issue.. once we find the plugin that is causing issues, just remove /upgrade it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

you're most likely right about the cause, but that would really suck to do if you had a lot of plugins installed. (like most of us).
    it would save a lot of time if OP knew which plugins were in the crashed project and only moved those outside of /vst or whatever. op, any new program or plugin installs or upgrades recently?

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

That's where the mistake lies, you don't need to intervene and change anything.

1.) Back up your projects and data 2.) Delete Studio One 3.) Reinstall Studio One 4.) Copy your projects into the existing folder

6. Tommy2Late

Tommy2Late Noisemaker

Did you install "Knock" Plugin from Decap? THis one made me mad with the same problem. But also I have the lowkey feeling that the recent Version of S1 is not running as smooth as the previous sometimes. Right now its working fine tho. Greetz

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Is removing Studio1 going to remove all his Third-Party plugins in vst/vst3 folders? If yes, then he will have to reinstall all of them. If no, then it will leave the offending plugin there and not fix this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

No, the plugin folder with the plugins is not deleted. The plugins are located in:
    C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins or C:\Program Files\Vstplugins or C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
    This is a user error. When he reinstalls Studio One, Studio One sets the folder structure.

9. SharkBait O-reily

SharkBait O-reily Kapellmeister

let it crash, when it boots up again, there should be an option to create a diagnostic report --- send that to presnous as well as the crash dump.. they will tell you what plugin is messing things up... often time. presonus will indicate what plugin caused the crash as well when it restarts constantly as well..​

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

yeah, kush plugins are notorious crashers

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

With me in Studio One, all Kush plugins run without any problems.

12. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Kapellmeister

-couldnĀ“t this do some harm to the sending person , depending on what kind of version u have installed ? ....:banned:

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

if sent from a legit looking email? nope.

14. alonzo86

alonzo86 Member

I had that problem as well with 5.4.1... I solved it by booting without ARA support when it prompted for it's "safe mode". Funny thing is that I didn't have any ARA process in the project.

Also, the project created in 5.4.1 was crashing the 5.4.1 on opening, but I could open it in the last 4.5 by editing the metainfo.xml without a problem, but I couldn't finish it there because I was using envelope volumes in 5.4.1...

Went back to the last 4.5 version.

So 4.5 opens the project created in 5.4.1 by editing the metainfo.xml while 5.4.1 crashes, I guess 5.4.1 is still buggy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  15. Hey Everyone!!!!!!! Thanks so much for all the tips and advice on this problem, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Unfortunately, this problem goes on and seems to get more bewildering! Overnight I spent 3 hours trying different things. I'm pretty sure its not any particular vst plugin on my song projects. This S1 crashing happens with any saved song I try, and they all have different plugins used, so it seems unlikely its a particular plugin causing the problem.

I decided to go for uninstalling/re-installing. The first try with that I left some of the old Presonus folders in Documents to see where it goes. Same thing happened after that re-install, trying to open any saved song crashed S1.

Tried another uninstall/reinstall removing all the old Presonus folders in the Documents folder, cleaned up any other Presonus folders I located, still the same damn thing! S1 crashes each time you try to open up a saved song.

Just tried a third experiment - I created a new saved song file in S1 based on opening just 2 vst's that I almost never use and are fairly lightweight, no other data, and then immediately saving it as a new song. S1 created a new song folder in Documents for that saved file. Shut down S1. Then reopened S1 and tried to open that new saved song file I had just created. S1 immediately crashed!!!! I cannot figure out what the F is going on.

As for the suggestion of contacting Presonus, nah, I'm not doing that with an R2R version of their stuff. But thanks for the idea.

Tonight I'll give a last try of not only cleaning out all folders after another uninstall, but also cleaning out any Presonus/Studio One registry entries I can locate before re-installing to see if that accomplishes anything. I did look around comments on sister site as well as the Ru site. I did spot some comments by people that sounded as if they were having a similar problem. One person said he solved it by installing an older version of S1, then installing the most current release on top of that, and that doing so got him working okay again. We'll see... I'm pulling my hair out at this point and worried I'm going to lose a lot of saved S1 work.

Keep those ideas coming if you can. this is still a problem.

Thanks again to all!!!

EDIT: Okay, just to be certain I just tried saving a song in S1 with no plugins opened, just a blank song. Closed S1, then re-booted it and tried to open up that blank song. S1 crashed. So, it's definitely not the plugins.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2021
  16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

1.) First, save all your projects, burn them or put them in a different folder, etc.
    2.) How to uninstall Studio One on Mac and PC.
    https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...69-How-to-uninstall-Studio-One-on-Mac-and-PC-
    3.) Then use CCleaner and restart the PC
    4.) Install the latest version of PreSonus - Studio One

[​IMG]

17. I'll give it another shot a little later. Thanks a lot for being so helpful, I really appreciate it.

18. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Yeah Maybe not :rofl:

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

The worst case scenario is they ask you to verify any account info, which obviously you won't be able to do. If you write support@ wherever, and you can write a decent and believable email; they will answer your questions without checking ownership. it's less effort to just answer your question.

you'll probably end up back on a forum asking for help anyway, unless there is some legitimate bug in the product. but they aren't going to send the r2r police.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  20. So, tried it all again with your instructions from above. Same freaking thing! When that failed I also tried updating all the C++ redistributables with one of those all-in-one downloads, still no joy. You want to laugh though??? When alonzo86 said he tried the option to boot without ARA support I kinda thought maybe he was kidding..
    Turns out that actually works!! Of course you still have to crash and fail, close out S1 thru the task manager, then re-open it and re-boot the program opting for disabling ARA. But it did open up the song file doing it that way. Seems this is some sort of bug in 5.4.1, one that only affects certain machine setups -- no idea what's going on with my machine that its affected, but I'm glad to at least find a partial resolution that allows me to access my song files again. This has been some mess! Must have spent at least 10 hours on this, still a lot of work to do putting back together all the S1 files. Thank you AudioSex for this partial solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @ Bennett.Jackson, you can " Disable ARA plugin-in Support".

Startup and Recovery Options in Studio One 5.2 and higher

With the release of Studio One version 5.2 we now have a Startup and Recovery option available. This allows the user to troubleshoot a crash that occurs in Studio One. This dialog will appear on the next launch after an application crash, but can also be manually called by holding down the 'Shift' key when starting Studio One.

[​IMG]

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...Recovery-Options-in-Studio-One-5-2-and-higher

New Safety Options in Studio One - No More Crashes?!

Corrupted Projects
    go to "song" menu and import all the song data, events, busses, markers, etc., from the corrupt file into a new file and never look back.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021