Studio One 4

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by LALALA, May 22, 2018.

1. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

Humm...I was hoping for better video support.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

As a Studio One user since V2 and ex-FL user, the step sequencer is not up to par. Its a great drum idea tool but you will convert it to a regular midi event to finish the song.

I need a one-to-one work flow, as in, kick has its own midi track, snare, etc.. even in my FL days I would "explode channels". This step-sequencer doesnt allow you to work like this as you can't see the "ghost notes" if you will.

oh and you can't record from a controller to the step sequencer

The new drum editor tab is perfect though. Don't have to see 100 notes when I only need 16, and Impact XT may get me to switch from Battery 4 and be able to use the native file management of S1.

I havent used the chord track functions yet.

Sample One is now actually useable, before I had to use the overpowered PresenceXT editor for simple sampling.

And thats basically all the changes.
    I don't think the upgrade is worth it for most people yet (Presonus will keep adding new features but they needed a small pay day), but I like to be on the latest software so I'm happy with the 190 CAD I spent.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Someware

Someware Ultrasonic

I umm... err guess I just saved.. um err.. I own enough DAWs to be like err.... ahh fuck it,. Load Ableton, Load Reason, Load S3.5, load Reaper... >< Sorry not won me over. Yep I own S3.5 would love the drum editor, but its so tiny, when I can /fold keys in ableton :( not meaning to sound like a sour daisy but its just meep..

4. farao

farao Rock Star

You can vertically change the size of the drum tracks so they get quite large and easy to edit, but you might mean something different when you say it is tiny?

5. Someware

Someware Ultrasonic

Yeah regarding Tiny, I just meant Tiny bonus. I do like the upgrade, but is it something that makes me want to quite other DAWs? dunno, may need to be more convinced :)

(editted as the quote seemed to miss the part I wanted to quote :) )

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Use Splitter in routing. :invision: This has been also implemented before. However, I get your point. These are very little enhancements that can be added in 4.01.

Open all video and audio formats your operating system supports. Enjoy better video performance with 64-bit video engines for macOS and Windows
    https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One#

Something I would like to know is that if the GUI has got more optimized for small screen than before. For example, for each vst there was a useless bar above it. Does that exist yet?

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  7. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

Does anyone know what the demo limitations are?
    can't seem to find info on their site...

8. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

Yep, inkwarp can't go on kvr and pretend to own this as well as all other daws.

9. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

Re. video support, that's where S1's video support ends.
    I was referring to multiple video tracks with thumbnail preview and such......
    Thanks for the advice though.

10. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic

Tried the demo, when put my plugins folder i can't open this version anymore, everything works fine with all daws including version 3.5.
    It freezes in the "scanning plugins". already unistalled, cleaned everything 4 times so know i already give up.
    the only good thing to me is the import sessions data, the look improoved a little bit and maybe this sampler one, if i could test it at least.

11. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

Guys, there are a lot of new features, which weren't included in release notes. Plz, if you'll find something like that, write it down in this thread.
    For example, now you can point audio to audio. Actually now you can point anything to anything(even Master).
    Secondly, they included a lot of features from so-called "Studio One X" in midi editor.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. petepx

petepx Kapellmeister

I switched to Cubase few months ago, because of song import, midi power (with process logical editor, macros and remote control with Lemur), track presets and expression maps, but I'm considering to come back to Studio One. I miss a few things in my workflow mainly based on UX. Btw UX is one of the keys to get efficient workflow.
    I'm not really interested by the VI features (Impact and Sample One), I use 3rd party tools mainly. I'm really glad they added song import. Any news about articulation/expression maps integration or workaround?

• List
  13. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

True that.
    You can now view note colors by velocity or pitch.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • List
  14. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Glad they listened to a lot of the feedback and feature requests they received.
    While generally their customer service is not lightning fast responsive, their general behaviour towards feature implementation is quite impressive, especially given how "bad" some of the old stuff was.

15. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

I watched stream where guys, which are working with developers, told us that "there is a framework for that"(articulation/expression maps), so, they hinted that it's just a matter of time(my bet - it'll be in 4.5).

16. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

To those who upgraded to v4:

1. hows the overall performance now compared to v3x?
    2. Specific Win7, v3x and a nvidia gfx doesn`t play well, improved now?
    Thank you

17. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

18. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

I`m aware of it, thanks ... not on my current setup possible (W10 btw)

So again, I`d appreciate direct answers to direct questions:
    To those who upgraded to v4:

1. hows the overall performance now compared to v3x?
    2. Specific Win7, v3x and a nvidia gfx doesn`t play well, improved now?
    Thank you

19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Id like to demo ver. 4 , to see how much has changed, tbh it looks pretty good.

20. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Super old quote
    Never really understood this old ass quote as I have always felt that those that can't should not be teaching