Studio One 4

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by LALALA, May 22, 2018.

1. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

Yup.
    And what makes it even more strange is fact that a lot of PT's "veterans" switched to S1. Seems they're kids too, or just got some diseases typical of old people.

2. LFO

LFO Kapellmeister

It's used for proper gain staging before the fader.
    It's really important especially if you use a lot of "analog modeled" plugins as most of them were calibrated to do their best work/sweetspot at -18dB RMS (0dB VU) and of course, if you're using bunch of outbord gear.

Also distortion/character/saturation plugins works best at lower RMS on input, that's the reason why most (but not all) of them has input metering VU scale to properly calibrate the signal coming into it.

3. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

4. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

Yeah, I know. But there are input meters on almost every modern plug in. Plus you can change level of audio events, and if you need, you can even add metering plug in/on event.

5. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Those that can...... just do it.
    Those that can't.... teach.
    Everyone else...... just trolls the internet spreading negativity.

6. Jeffriezal

Jeffriezal Producer

Exactly..we like to keep the gain staging (at least their average level) after processing not changing too far, and afterward, we mix and balance the entire song/track using fader with just our ear, only matter after that is the master bus overall output level after mix and balance with the fader.

That's how I learn to gain staging during my early year with a console, and because already get used to it so much, a pre-fader metering will be a big plus one for the monitoring workflow.. but it is not much a deal breaker if a DAW doesn't have it. Still can get the job done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. complete

complete Producer

Hahaha,
    all the trolls, haters and men on their high horses!
    This thread isn't for you, nothing to see here.

Fuck off :bleh:

8. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. TW

TW Guest

Bro no-one in this whole thread used the word "kid" for s1 users. Except you :rofl:

Maybe ...if one steps on the cat's tail, it miaows...?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2018
  10. LFO

LFO Kapellmeister

OK, my first impressions after trying it shortly:

It feels much better than video suggests for me, which is great thing. It's snappier, smoother and more fluid than latest V3 version and also less hit on CPU with same projects (created in V3, of course).
    Colors and graphics on GUI are noticeably improved and it's joy to work with new Sample One XT, it clearly sounds better and no more annoying harsh filter by default and I have a feeling that they fixed terrible aliasing from old Sample One, because I can easily hear new one sounding better even without any measurments. Inteface of Sample One XT is great and really responsive to the point that I may not need any 3rd party samplers (except Kontakt because of libraries) like Battery, TAL Sampler, Geist etc.
    I also like new 0% luminance color on mixer, it looks amazing (similar colors to V2), feels more like Pro Tools colors pallete and much easier to focus on elements on mixer.
    Also, search plugins field in insert section is fixed and not jumping out anymore when you stop typing.
    Macro parameters are now possible to automate even when you have multiple parameters assigned to one knob but it actually automates parameters directly itself on automation lane - not perfect but very usable with Touch/Latch recording of automation (unlike V3 where it was impossible).
    So far, so good. It feels and flows better than expected, honestly.
    Only thing I am missing is capture record MIDI but there is workaround in OSX for that, and missing fullscreen option in Windows only, (OSX has it natively).
    Oh yes, also, they didn't improved waveform graphics, it's still 90s style blocky, shame :/
    But ... I must say I am positively surprised overall :).

EDIT: Waveform GUI

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

thx for responce LFO.
    I'm also suggest everyone to watch this stream. It turned out that there are a lot of "little new hidden things" in the update.

12. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

2.7 => 3.0 was a big update. But this one is more like 3.7. Updated devices is cool, but it's not enough to call this "our next big version". Disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Just load Mixtool at the beginning of your fx chain... it has been available since long time ago.

14. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Yes,pre-fader metering and some feature like Cubase for the stereo width.
    These things can be done with plugins but it would be easier.

15. Spacely

Spacely Producer

I like that they focused more on the creative side of things this time around. I'm gonna have to get the demo and test it all out.

16. LFO

LFO Kapellmeister

I know that's possible, and that is what I was mentioning before, it's workaround not implementation and it's major PITA to load level meter (I don't need Mixtool to control gain, I can use audio handles) as I need/would like metering information before it hits fader.

Please understand that I am aware of all possible solutions and workarounds with extra plugins, but it would be much easier if they had just implement metering options on right click to chose pre or post fader metering info, like Logic/Pro Tools/Reaper/Mixbus/Samplitude and others already has.

Also, instead of wasting plugin slot on Mixtool, they could put a little knob which can be prefader gain, like Cubase/Reaper already has.
    Also, they could add dry/wet control for every plugin slot for easy parallel processing but that's another story and I guess some other version.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. nedagg

nedagg Newbie

Just a question for you guys , the MASTERS OF STUDIO ONE : I would like to have a LIVE SAMPLER , that records live audio , and automatically splits the record into pads , to play it with pads ( mpd24) chunk by chunk . Does this version allow me to do it ? never used Studio One !!! I see it says "integration" between the sampler XT and the drumm pad IMPACT XT , is that posible ????

Furthermore , can I edit the pads with the SAME midicontrollers mapping , so everytime I hit a pad , the midicontroller is automatically mapped to edit this very pad ???? so I can easily edit every pitch , stretch , etc from any of this chunks ?!?!?!?

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  18. Boujwa

Boujwa Ultrasonic

That's the best way to make Cubase go cheap. :)

19. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

cant wait to test this out

20. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Can someone playing with the 4 ver. do me a favor and check if they changed anything about tempo track. A request with ~300 registered (user) upvotes..!
    Feature Request for Tempo Automation to function the same as Track Automations

If they didn't get this right by v4, they probably never will.. seems like something fcked up from the beginning. It's inaccurate, it's painful if you have e.g. a lot of accelerando and ritardando passages, or you targeting a movie frame.. aso. Till now, Ableton (and other DAWs) were paradoxically better for (movie) scoring and similar. :sad: (fingers crossed..)

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List