Studio one 3 getting huge cpu spikes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by robbieeparker14, Dec 16, 2016.

1. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

Can anyone explain this?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. badformat

badformat Ultrasonic

Nope, i've got huge CPU spikes only when my audio files caching after time-stretching. There are many posts about CPU problems with Studio One on a KVR forum.

4. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

@Von_Steyr your expertise required, your newly found love :hillbilly:

Welcome to Studio Spikes mate. Can't be of any help as I have ditch my beloved Studio Spikes after using it since version one due to this very reason and some other. Disable each plugin (vst and vsti) to find out which one causing Studio to be in continuous orgasmic state. These spikes happen in every DAW depending on the plugin; some can handle them efficiently other can't. Studio One takes pleasure being one of them, may be number one. Try Arturia plugins and see how they turn S1 on. Only solution is to bounce in place alongwith any fx that has been used.

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Try disabling CPU Power Management options in your BIOS?
    Disable Speedstep, CPU C States, Turbo Mode or other comparable features.
    Then restart.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

This is mostly like you play only one wave file in DP9 on Windows :) their CPU meter dance in a fashion of rock'n'roll

7. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Studio One is not optimized...
    If you are using CPU/RAM intensive plugins, get a better DAW.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

This happened to me the cause was a dodgy mouse. Download DPC Latency checker & see if it spikes when you move your mouse. Also there is a power managment profile on the Presonus site which helps a lot.

9. Master Q

Master Q Producer

did this actually work for you or are you just making suggestions? because other daws seem to handle this without having to do these steps.... The most effieicnt daw I know of that handle cpu the best ! and i have tried all of them extensively is Sonar! that thing does not know what CPU is ....it just works with 1000000 plugins but lets be honest its a shit program compare to studio one

Drea daw would be ... abletons creativity and versitility.... pro tools harware integration clip gain and dual pan......the clean look of logic pro X....the cpu of SONAR(hands down the best)......the devices and channel layout of reason...the ummmm reascalability of cubase and midi capabilities and finally the ease of use and imagination and forward thinking of studio one !!! = BEST DAW EVER

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yea, im getting fonder of S1 but this is probably the only thing that really bothers me.
    Hit the cpu performance button on the left low side and see which plugins are causing it.
    I had to remove one of the voxengo plugins because i was getting a 20% hit.

11. TinCanMix

TinCanMix Member

I swapped from S1 to Reaper because of these spiking problems, Diva especially would just crap the DAW. But I read on this forum about a little free book called Glitch Free by Brad Robinson. I used it and S1 (and Diva) became useable! Just follow the steps and go back to your favourite DAW (whatever it is) and notice the difference. I certainly did. I'm now back with S1. Thankyou Brad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  12. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

if you watch the video it shows my vsts not using any of my cpu one instance of nexus going from 1 to 0% here and there. so its not that for those of you who mentioned that as an issue.

13. TW

TW Guest

I really love studio one. But its not optimized. Welcome to the darkside of Studio one - CPU spikes.
    Compared to other DAWs S1 is a real CPU hog. Reaper is the way to go if you want efficient cpu usage.

And reaper beats sonar by far in cpu usage. I tried it. Sonar is good but reaper is the most efficient daw there is. Sadly i dont like the gui in reaper (even with skins) and its really not intuitive to use. Comapred to S1 or sonar.

14. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

disable Speedstep and all power-managing features in bios.

then check if you have that problem, i bet you wont.

15. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

What else you got running? and how much ram? why is it at 30%? Mine is always 0% not matter what I'm doing.

16. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

I don't even have the ram meter. I'm using S1 V3.3.2

17. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Reading all this horror CPU-spikes stories about S1 I decided to test sort of "worst case scenario":

- 6 or 7 years old shitty hp laptop (you can see specs in cpu-z..), currently don't have access to my main comp. But the test is even better like this - with current machine I could mask the sw problems /w comp power
    - win 7 64 (in fact still my fav sys)
    - S1 (love it, ..khm, hate some stuff) + 3 divas (cause they are always an example of CPU hog, and I agree..)

So tell me, is this an expected behavior of a DAW considering all above?? I think it IS!

Of course I'd prob be fukked /w 7 instances of a vst like this, but nobody uses such a comp for serious work. My point is: if there is just one configuration on which S1 works like supposed, you should be looking at flaws in your config, not at S1..

18. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I don't want to turn this into another Studio One vs [Insert DAW] thread but this is why I jumped ship from S1. Everything's great until a feature update introduces new problems and your favorite plugins are consuming 20-30% cpu... as inserts on audio tracks.

That said, I realize this is probably because they're adding a bunch of cool features. S1 is just having some growing pains, but I wasn't willing to stick it out with them.

Anyway, to the above post about the configuration... mine is an i7 6700k and a dedicated PC with a clean Windows install that was built specifically to handle stuff like this. Brought down by mixing plugins. Sometimes DAW's just shit the bed.

19. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Try booting into safe mode then see if the problem goes away.

I fixed my CPU spikes by disabling a background app called "SmartRAM" by IObit, it was pinging my ram every 10 seconds causing a spike.

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

There's no dodgy mouse, only dodgy mouse software, and you don't really need any software [drivers] for a mouse. The best is always to use stock Microsoft driver with any mouse. 3rd party mouse drivers can be really bad. Yes, even Logitech and Microsoft ones. Just use the stock driver. Only install a mouse driver if you really really really really *really must*. :winker:

This problem with CPU spikes, or maybe "CPU spikes" can be related to CPU power management as your CPU is changing its working frequency and that makes for erratic CPU meter reading. Turn off CPU power management in BIOS and then see what happens. :wink: Or try playing a more demanding project that uses more CPU and the CPU meter should stabilise.

Turning of CPU power management can also help utilising those last 10-20% of CPU without getting crackles in audio. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

Without going any further on why S1 has specific problems and is denied ever since,
    a known workaround is to jbridge from your system to your system.
    For example a native 64bit plugin to a 64bit jbridged plugin.

While jbridge was meant to be a bridge from one system to another system,
    i.e. 32bit to 64bit, users discovered it also works as described above.

I have all cpu hogs in S1 jbridged running flawless.

You may want to test Omnisphere and see the instant difference
    and then decide what else to add.

I must repeat, it is a workaround, not a permanent solution.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List