Studio one 3 - Can you set play & record on midi input ?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by mono, Aug 14, 2017.

1. mono

mono Audiosexual

Hi after using fl studio for many years ,ive now got fed-up with the gray and would like a change,
    iam now trying out studio one 3 and it's like looking into a rainbow :cool:
    The only thing im missing at the moment has to do with the play & record function,
    so far ive found out about the step record ,record with input quantize ,
    metronome active with eader precount or preroll .

What i'm looking for is a way to start play or record with just midi input ,
    there is a tab for this in fl studio that is very handy
    and i can't find any way of setting this up in studio 3 ?

Any help or info on this would be great :cheers:

3. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Nope, no "wait for input" recording of any kind in S1.
    What I recommend is getting some foot switches.

I have 3, one for Faderport which switches master to mono when held down. second for sustain for my Akai Advance and third plugged into my US2400 for recording.

I personally also came from FL and never liked those trigger options, for audio they would miss the transient and for midi, I'd go off tempo.

4. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

no need. you set precount 1 bar and hit star on the keypad

5. mono

mono Audiosexual

@MYCbeats
    Thanks for letting us know ,its been driving me nuts the last few days,
    ill keep a eye out for some foot switches for the meen time ill stand on my keyboard when ever i want to record or play live lol
    Best work around so far is the big toe on space bar to play on tempo and little toe on * to record on tempo,
    Even do i play piano this tick tick tick tick is no help and im always fixing the first midi notes
    i hope i can get use to it as im happy with the changes it has to offer like color.

@korte1975
    Thanks for the tip ,i like to play with two hands sometimes
    and its still a bit of a hit and miss hitting the space bar or * on the number pad to record but the toe fix will be fun.
    would be nice if they ever added these midi setting into studio 3 as there so handy or should i say footsey :rofl:

6. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

If you're controller has note repeat, turn off input quantize and record it repeating a couple times. You may find that theres a delay and in the settings under advanced > midi you can put an offset. For example with an 8ms delay all my note repeats land perfectly on the grid, therefore if something is recorded off, its me.

On a side note, under advanced you'll find one of my favourite S1 features which is the pre-record. It will always record any AUDIO (emphasis on that) track thats armed and keep a predetermined length of it. So if you're sampling and you find a good part you don't need to go back, just hit record then stop and drag the start of the event back to reveal the sample.

Now combine that with the fact that you can set instrument outputs as inputs for stereo tracks and you'll keep that improv arrangement as audio at least.

7. TW

TW Guest

2 bars 1 is to short for grabbing my isntrument :rofl:

8. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual