Studio One 3.5 cpu spike issue

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Niruvana, May 5, 2018.

1. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Studio One has cpu spike issue and I checked performance on task manager. My laptop only uses less than half of cpu mostly, but Studio one uses more than 80 percent of cpu and spikes. What does it mean? Can I fix it?

s1-cpu.jpg

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

4. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Looks like you've got a lot of plugins loaded. Eats up your cpu. Try turning some background services off. Try switching your processor scheduling to "background services" (control panel --> advanced system settings --> advanced tab --> performance "settings" button --> advanced "tab" --> 'tick' background services.

You'll need a host of other tweaks too, and/or a Studio One power user might chime in with some more direct advice.

5. You've run out of CPU. You're maxed out. You've filled the pot to the brim.

Look into bouncing down some tracks. Look into using just one instance of Room Reverb on send-return than rather a per-track insert. Use inbuilt plugs for bread and butter tasks. And then look at bouncing down tracks again. This is reversible, and allows you "print" the plug in settings on one track, do some creatives with another track without the plugs from the first using up all your CPU.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2018
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

The first culprit is izotope nectar, their plugins can be very problematic.

The second reason, you maxed one core while others are probably not doing even 50%, work with buses, route your tracks to spread the load on different cores.

Third reason, S1 is a cpu hog.

7. You can't route to cores on Studio One 3.

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes, i meant working with multiple buses/groups spreads the load to all cores vs routing all tracks to one group/bus.

9. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I don't have advanced system setting in control panel. Are you talking about Windows 10? I am a 7 user.

10. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

The funny thing is that some plug-ins are running even though I deleted them completely as you can see in the picture. When I scrolled down, I found around more than 20 melodynes were running. However, I deleted them completely as I said. It is sort of a mysterious issue.
    How do I deactivate the inactive plug-ins?

11. Use the track context menu option to remove Melodyne. You might want to bounce first.

12. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I a have a similar issue with NI Maschine. I can only use about 50% of the system CPU resouurces before thing go wrong.

So I tried disabling Hyperthreading, which shows that 4 of the cores are maxed out.

That leads to the question, are DAW's able to deal with hyperthreading at all ?

13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Cubase performs better with HT disabled as well. Can almost hit the asio meter wall without pops and clicks. and the cpu goes even to 80-90%.
    HT favors video editing which is entirely different from audio processing, which is a more delicate/complicated process.
    Going above 6-8 cores may not be beneficial at all, daws prefer raw cpu power speed vs number of cores.

14. loCurnus

loCurnus Ultrasonic

if you got 10 cores----ableton uses 1 track to one core--- 10 tracks with it :)

15. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Awesome tips. Thx!

16. OCD

OCD Member

I second the reverb tip. Whenever possible you should be running reverbs and delays (spatial effects) as effect returns, and using sends per track for reverb and such. Its one thing if you have a few different flavors of reverb in your mix i.e. room for ambience, hall for maybe a synth to sound farther away, or a plate verb on a snare, etc. But in this instance where you have what appears to be multiple copies of the same room reverb you are wasting a lot of DSP power. Throw that verb on an FX channel, and use your sends!! That will probably help immensely right there.

Secondly.. click on a track in the track list of the arrangement window and scroll down till you see "Transform to Rendered Audio".
    Use that option whenever you have alot of processing going on individual tracks or when you have a lot going on in a session/high cpu, etc. That will enable you to essentially bounce the track in place with the option to render the audio WITH the effects, freeing up a good bit of DSP, BUT with the option to re-transform BACK to the original version and get your plugins back. And if that scares you at all (which it shouldn't lol) start saving presets to recall, or better yet, save effects chains. That way if you have a complex set of effects on a track you can recall it with one click.

Good Luck

p.s. my apologies.. I admit I skimmed over the replies and didn't fully read the one above mine, in which case I've simply reiterated what fudsey said above in detail.

17. Luka

Luka Platinum Record

Agree on all. I stopped using Nectar because for what it does, it's CPU usage is ridiculous. And Studio One is next on my list. I'm switching to Reaper. I herd it is pretty easy on CPUs

18. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

in a extremely smooth system you would be able to move around full cpu use and still not get spikes/audio crackles but, these cpu spikes are present in most systems and your real ceiling will decrease with that margin, since its enough with a single intermittent spike to "ruin" audio work.

among the clear worst offenders are graphic drivers. specially Nvidia drivers.

i assume you already disable all cpu throttle in bios and assume you have your energy settings set for max performance. if so, test uninstalling your Nvidia driver (without reboot) and let windows use its internal generic driver, then check if you have the same problem.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  19. KidPix

KidPix Producer