Studio Monitors up to 7" that translate well.

Discussion in 'Studio' started by fnord23, May 29, 2023.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I would buy the "Neumann KH 120 A".
    Order 2 x Neumann KH 120 A from thomann - there you can return them within 30 days if you don't like them.
    Then you can listen in peace over a few days whether you like the sound.

2. boingy99

boingy99 Ultrasonic

If, as you state, the monitors are going to be close to the wall then definitely go for something with front porting. Rear ports near a wall are bad with a capital B. Rear ports need at least a clear two or three feet behind them.

3. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

Check this out too. Speaker placement

4. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Supposedly EVE's are less reliable, many people had problems with them dying in 1-2 years.

18 pages of complaints at gearspace, I would stay away from this brand even if they look aesthetically nice

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  5. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Yeah, caught that on GS, but I had one Adam dying on me in matter of days, luckily local distributor was kind enough to give me replacement (well, replacement was rattling madness someone else returned I guess), so I don't have to wait until they are serviced in Germany and shipped back. No, I kept that rattling one and sold them anyways later on, 55% discount, that was dumb move, they really kept their second hand prices, which is most bizarre thing, folks selling 10 years old Adam's with 30% retail discount, studio legend and all that hype.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  6. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

I ruled out ADAM because of their attitude (deceiving with their stats, aggressive Marketing and so on). Also I think they look horrible.

HEDD 07 MK2 looks amazing but unfortunately it's a lot too expensive.

APS Klasik 2020 it must be then. The reviews are insane, the price is around 1100€ here also, quite low. Usually all the other models that are mentioned to be "in the same price bracket" are at least 500€ more, maybe it's because we are close to Poland here?

They are back ported/vented but I'm willing to give it a try anyways. From what I'm reading a few inches off the wall should be fine?

7. Melodic Reality

Sincerely, APS would be my personal choice too, think I mentioned that in some other thread.

8. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

I'll just buy them new since I don't want to take a risk.

Honestly, my music sounds more like the HEDDs look like but at almost double the price I can't justify the expense.

9. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

Do you have a source for that with measurements to back it up? Genelec for example explicitly advises to have them closer to the wall and they are back ported. I thought consensus is to have them closer to the wall except in a proper studio of course. Will minimize interference, bass is omnidirectional anyways. But I'm happy to learn more, I'm not a professional.

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

From the reviews I read it seems that the APS hits way above it's price and then some. I'm tempted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

I am not tempted, they look like 1500 euro online for classic design without something special going on.

12. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Neumann KH has tighter bass, but also a bit less bass (because of the sealed enclosures). They are very precise though.

Genelec's are usually ported, so they have a bit more low-frequency extension while still being very precise (and with great detail and imaging)!

Event Opal monitors are highly praised, but can be difficult to get a hold of. I've yet to hear them for myself, but you can ask @Olymoon for his opinion.

HEDD/EVE/Adam monitors are all similar in the high-frequencies because of their Air Motion Transformers, but HEDD's are probably the best in the lows (I've only heard Adam AX-series and EVE SC-series monitors myself tho).

I've also heard good things about the new IK Multimedia iLoud MTM monitors, but don't take my word for it. They seem quite compact (2x5" woofers) and comes with IK's own room correction software + mic. I'm just not sure if I would pay $1500 per monitor for an IK product :rofl:

13. Qiloo

Qiloo Ultrasonic

I'm thinking about getting pair of Neumann KH 120 II but I'm not sure since they're 5 inch and I make house/techno. Maybe the bass won't translate that well. What do you guys think? Or should I wait to have the money for Barefoot Footprint 02s instead?

14. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Barefoots are 6'5 inches... I would trust more a 10" KRK rokit than this in the bass department in terms of realism in the lows. Marketing hype can't beat physics of sounds. Anyway, Barefoots' gimmick seems to be higher quality parts+frequency profile switch between different popular speakers from the past, so don't buy anything like this, if you don't REALLY need it.

15. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

Did you check out the Klasik 2020 already? They go down below 40Hz and are highly praised. (Haven't ordered yet so that's just the reviews I read). I decided against the KH120 because I realized if I do techno I need to hear those frequencies. If you go with the KH120 you might need a sub and the Neumann subs are expensive!

16. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

Luckily they are more around 1100€ here. But reviews testify so far they are closer to 2k or 3k speakers performance wise.

They don't have a waveguide though, I wonder how that affects the size of the sweet spot(??)

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  17. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

I checked the specs - the amp is good, but no way this thing produce as good bass as dedicated 2.1 system or bigger monitors with its 7" woofer.
    There is a reason why even super expensive midfield speakers like Barefoot have corresponding subwoofers (that also can cost as much as a kidney for a pair...)

18. virusg

virusg Rock Star

19. Melodic Reality

@virusg Do they even sell those somewhere, do you have them? Was really interested in them, but they got discontinued, coaxial AMT is very interesting concept.

20. virusg

virusg Rock Star

I have them and they sound and translate very well, the only bad thing with these is that when you mix, the range from where they are placed, is very limited and out of that it could drastically alter your decisions ...other than that I cannot say bad things, these are not meant to be used in large studios

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List