Studio monitors in 300$ range,Recommendations are welcome

Discussion in 'Studio' started by BMBronson, Sep 15, 2022.

?

Available studio monitors in my country in my max budget range,please vote

1. Krk Rokit 5 G4

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. JBL 305P MKII

27 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Presonus Eris e5 XT

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Mackie MR524

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Fluid Audio FX50

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Alesis M1 Active MK3

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

On a budget I can recommend Presonus Eris E5.... perhaps too small but pretty good price wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Have 3 of the v1's. Three because I thought one got damaged by being knocked about in a moving accident and when I set up a bedroom to record in my new home, one of the pair was buzzing when playing some solo synth sounds with low frequency content. Annoyed the crap outta me. So I bought a replacement figuring it was damaged.

However, the new one buzzed too. So I looked this kind of issue up and found some speaker cabinents can resonate and wind up buzzing/rattling. In my case it apparently was the speaker frame vibrating and tightening the screws didn't help.
    What I did was buy liquid rubber from home depot, in my case, that's generally used to dip bare metal tool handles in it to provide grip and insulate. I brushed a few layers around the speaker frame and the cab hole where it sits. Worked like a charm.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Nasema

Nasema Member

Behringer B2031a? Had a set and loved them. Quite large and delivers a far bigger sound stage than Eris 5. If you enjoy jamming via monitors these are a steal, everything sounds great through them and plenty of headroom, so they really encourage you when composing.

Very reliable for mixing too due to the lower frequency range.

4. Auxiee

Auxiee Member

Whats the goal? Do you have a good audio interface? Honestly a lot of the comments are unhelpful. Get at least 5 inch speakers. I dont care what anyone says about rocket 5, yeah no shit Adam audio is better. You have the plugins to see the frequencies, you just need a decent representation of the sound. I used rocket 5's and got to a level of work where I could upgrade from making $ through the 5's. Also take in your skill and experience where top level monitors would even make a difference. Where is most music played from? Car, computer, phone. So before any kind of release test how it sounds through where the listener would. You will learn your speakers strengths and weaknesses through working and you'll calibrate your ears to it. Your audio interface in my opinion is more important than the monitors. I use a7v, could I still make the same quality if I used my rocket 5's? No question. Yamaha , Kirk, presonus? Absolutely. If you are recording vocals in any capacity, I would prioritize quality of mic. Then I would prioritize audio interface. Speakers come last. 300 will get you mid tier . Thats fine.

Also, many vendors run sales on rockets and Yamahas frequently. You could get 5's for 100 each. Its reaching holiday..

If you make a living on mastering, get the top tier. If you are one man army'ing it, adapt.

5. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Well, the sole purpose of using monitor is being able to *monitor* the sound and *judge* the quality of the sound and mix. I tried and tested at least a dozen of various active monitors and most of them had severe flaws, mostly because of having resonances and dips. Those unevennesses caused me to mix my music in a wrong way (e.g. much too quiet vocal - because *just* on my flawed setup it sounded clear).
    So ONE CANNOT GO WRONG buying the aforementioned LSR305 - they are very decent and will let you judge proportions between vital instruments.
    Of course, some *room treatment* is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I use a couple of large absorbers to tame bass resonances. My room is circa 4x4 meters in size.
    (And, of course, I also use some other - both bigger and smaller - monitors to check my mixes.)

P.S. I have successfully recommended the LSR305 to at least one of my friends, who was a cinematic composer (recording soundtracks for games).
    Also, the LSR's allow me to judge the color and *balance* of distorted guitars in genres like metal and rock. Most other monitors in that price range destroy the sound of distorted guitar because of resosnances - and you EQ your guitar in a wrong way because of this.

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

KRK Rokit RP5, from 99EUR/piece (G3 model) to ~140EUR/piece (G4), so both'd get you under 300 for a pair.

G4 has some room correction EQ added, but I dunno how that works.

Got the older (G2/classic) models at home and though the acoustic treatment is pretty lousy here and I can't go full blast on volume I'm cranking out decent mixes that translate fairly well.

7. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thanks for advice,i should test some monitors

8. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thanks,i heard a lot about rokits

9. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

i can't find jbl 305 here,According to the comments, they look better than other stuff in this price range

10. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thanks for advice,The main issues are money and time,i can wait but i can't save more money (i'm unemployed) and Due to severe inflation in my country if i wait for a year,Buying these cheap speakers will become a f...ing dream

11. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

I got stuck in deep shit

12. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thanks

13. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thanks,I take a look at it

14. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thank you,
    my audio interface is audient id4mii
    i cant afford anything more than 5(not the best 5 inches) and i think it's fine for me

15. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

thanks,
    i wish i could find a pair of them

16. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thank you for advice

17. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

JBL 305P MKII

These replaced my more expensive monitors, and I also prefer them over the Yamaha HS line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

Thank you,
    one more vote for jbl 305 (mkii)

19. Euphonic

Euphonic Member

Mix and Master? Just get Slate VSX headphone system, it's on sale for 400 right now. You are doing Orchestral music and you want to hear detail... USD300 will not get you where you want to be. You will need to treat the room properly as well.. get the headphone system and thank me later

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. BMBronson

BMBronson Member

for now,Thank you
    really,it's too much for me,
    i already have a dt 990 and a pair of speakers are necessary