Studio Monitor upgrade (sub or monitors?)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by HackMe, Jul 28, 2015.

1. HackMe

HackMe Newbie

Hi there,
    I've a dilemma to resolve.
    I want to upgrade my setup in my home studio almost definitely and have last expenses about monitors.
    Well,now I'm using the Kr Rp6 but I found difficult to mix low end freq with them because I cant hear them well.
    So here's the dilemma:
    I thought of adding a krk sub for the low freq and in a near future (when i can afford because now i'm using all money earned with music itself) buy vxt monitors (4 or 6); or give up about the sub now( and maybe for ever) and buy the HS8 Yamaha that everyone speak about the flatness they have and the good response on MID-HIGH freq.

So, add a sub is good,but risky because i can't tell if the room is very well treated (it's a small room with few basstrap).
    Add the monitors should be the better strategy,but I'm afraid to have issues to mix low freq (and yes I can in the future a yamaha sub for them) and another thing is the fact that the monitors are near the wall and the HS series have in the back the hole.

In the end, what you recommend ? Buy the monitors and in the future, if need, add a sub, or buy the sub?

3. toothpick

toothpick Member

If you produce bass heavy music I would recommend a sub. I added one to my setup. The one thing to keep in mind is usability. If you live in an apartment complex or somewhere with neighbors near by it might become an issue. Bass will slay though just about anything.. I got a sub with the main intent on improving my low end mixing. It has done just that and I'm more conscious about certain decisions that I make while tweaking my low end. If getting a sub is not feasible and you have the budget, I would recommend Audeze headphones paired with a subpac for epic results.

4. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I have the KRK Rokit 10/3's----even with the larger cabinets, ten inch woofers, 3 way system, they still won't handle a lot of really low end. A sub would remove some burden from them and compensate. That's the way I'm going, since I already have the KRK's. I think that may be your best way to go also.

5. dondada

dondada Rock Star

here is a tip, get yourself some "hifi sub" ala Yamaha or Canton (not bose) but with manual crosover freqency
    this way you don´t break the piggy bank and you get a feel for how it is with a sub.
    it is really worth it, there are some smarter people on some forums who figured:
    fill the cabinet 75-85% with absorbant material and you get quite the "linear" sound

6. HackMe

HackMe Newbie

Thanks to all!
    I'll go for the sub then,seem the best choice