Studio Monitor Static/Hiss Issue

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by torontoleech, Nov 15, 2015.

1. torontoleech

torontoleech Noisemaker

I use KRK RP6G2s through a scarlett 2i4.
    Even when my speakers arent playing music, they are constantly producing a quiet, but steady static White Noiz Hiss /crackles/ pops/ even a faint bass rumble. They are great speakers for the price i paid, and its pretty quiet. so this has been a relatively minor issue for me.

I have been having this issue as far as I can remember,and recently its been increasingly louder, so i would like to know where its stemming from and deal with it.

Ive looked into it, and heard some stuff about crowding a power supply, and so I divided all my plugs between 2 different outlets across the room, but that didnt seem to reduce the noise at all.

Check out this video at 1:10 -

this guy quickly explains what sounds like my situation. but he doesnt mention what his solution and powerbar he uses is called! something like an isolated power supply , but i couldnt find anything like it! :dunno:

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this noise for me?
    i would really appreciate any input! :bow::bow::bow:

3. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Take a laptop and soundcard and test the monitors while the laptop/interface is powered by a battery. See if that improves the situation. If it does, it's an electrical issue with PSUs. Get a power conditioner then.

4. torontoleech

torontoleech Noisemaker

Thanks for your input man, thats a wonderful idea and very helpful :bow::mates: - going to try it soon!
    i hope the static/ electricity coming through my speakers hasnt caused permanent damage to my gear

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  5. Daklaron

Daklaron Noisemaker

I have the same set-up. The problem has occurred twice. First time I solved it I used fairly expensive RCA cables out of the Scarlett, but plugged them into the balanced TRS input of the monitors using adapters. Cable had to be short, a metre in length. Second time, which was considerably more audible and annoying, and included pops etc turned out to be the USB cable. Hope this helps some.

6. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

The 'mains hum' could be from a ground / earth feedback loop.
    +1 for Daklaron - shoddy cables can be a source of noise and the balanced / unbalanced points should match.