Studio Monitor Headphones Alternative to KRK 8400s?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Vincent Price, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

I currently have the KRK 8400S but am wanting to change them for an alternative pair of headphones

Which headphones would you recommend?

I don't particulary like wearing the KRK's mainly due to the ear pads making my ears all hot. I have looked at the Beyerdynamic DT 990's but I have been told that they require a headphone amplifier.

Any suggestions?

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

beyerdynamic - DT-990 Pro headphones (with impedance: 250 Ohm - Open design) 129 €
    https://www.thomann.de/de/beyerdynamic_dt990pro.htm
    https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-990-pro.html?nosto=6034d49960b2684c828f3a15

I have that too and I know the discussion about headphone amplifiers, I never needed one. However, my audio interface has 116 dB Dynamic Range. You can have it open for hours without feeling the headphones and there are no hot ears either.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

2nd vote for the DT-990 Pro.

These are my everyday go to and I have no issues with then.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Vincent Price

I would be using them with my Apollo Twin MKII on connected my Mac Mini and also plugged directly into my macbook pro when I am out and about...would these still work?

6. Vincent Price

I would be using them with my Apollo Twin MKII on connected my Mac Mini and also plugged directly into my macbook pro when I am out and about...would these still work?

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

When you order from thomann - you have these advantages: 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee & 3-Year Thomann Warranty

Some other users say:
    I have an Apollo 8 and it has enough juice to run that headset...just don't put it on a splitter.
    If you need to feed 2+ devices, get a headphone amp, but for just the DT990 Pro (250 Ohm), it should work just fine for you.
    Source: https://uadforum.com/apollo-arrow-interfaces/44528-apollo-twin-duo-w-dt990-250-ohm-without-amp.html

I can confirm from my own experience. I have both. 80 and 250. I also have an AKG with 320 somewhere. The difference is even more drastic. My standard interface UAD Apollo Twin can operate all of them and there is still room for improvement if I already have significantly more than enough SPL.
    Source: www.musiker-board.de/threads/studiokopfhoerer-80-oder-250-ohm-dt-770-pro-fuer-audio-interface-id-4.692619/

8. Vincent Price

So in your opinion would this be an improvement over the 8400's? In terms of comfort and sound quaality

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Best Answer
    That is a small quantum leap - in other words - it is a clear improvement. You have such a great and expensive Apollo Twin - with the Beyerdynamic you will hear a little more and a little better. Read the User Review ... !

10. Vincent Price

I have bought some DT 990'S so will let you know what I think of them

11. Vincent Price

Well, I have to say these are so comfy, way better than the KRK 8400s

the only problem is that it is boiling here in the UK at the moment so the fluffy ear pads do make my head hot, however that won't be the case all the time...

These feel a lot sturdier than the KRK's too...way sturdier

The KRKs feel cheap now :rofl:

I have tested them with my Apollo Twin MKII and my iPhone 12 and they perform on both occasions. Of course the volume isn't going to be a good on an iPhone but it is still adequate enough.

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Congratulations on your new headphones.
    If you want to close the Thread, you can either change "Solved" in the heading or select a "Best Answer".
    This solves the problem and a "Solved" appears in the heading.