Studio Headphone reviews

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by RachProko, Mar 17, 2024.

1. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

I noticed it before I looked at reviews. then actually looking at a response graph confirmed my suspicion. The best headphone is always the headphone you can use, whatever that is. But can we agree that frequency responses actually matter lol

2. Neponset

Neponset Ultrasonic

Frequency response graphs are flawed as a way of reviewing headphones, from the way they're made, to what they actually represent (the response of a single sine wave played across the spectrum, and not the way a headphone represents multiple harmonics at the same time). I understand it's hard to talk about headphones without actually being able to listen to them, but people get so into obsessing over graphs they can even convince themselves that iems sound better than over-ear headphones.

3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I would get these, or the HD490 Pro (similar drivers, but cheaper).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  4. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

No offense taken. :mates:

It was just my personal preference, as I think OP has a way bigger budget.
    And yes, I am well aware of the peaks in the highs, but with some eq correction, it's way better.
    Normally I used to use a combination of Sonarworks Reference and DSoniq Realphones, but after the upgrade to V2, I found out that I really just need Realphones and tweak the eq correction in there a bit, it gives quite pleasing results.

As for my headphone choice, I had a close decision between the DT 770 Pro and the ATH M40x because of my budget of max 120€.
    Went to a music store to try them both out (in comfortability and Sound) and liked the 770 Pro more, also as an asthetical bonus the 770 have a spiral cable which I really love on headphones.
    And shortly after that I found the Outlet store on their website and the 250 Ohms for that unbeatable price. (Normally about 140-150€ here)

Also, I tried IEMs , but they hurt my ears after a certain amount of time, no matter which I tried.

But, as always, to each their own.
    :mates:

5. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

my brother in christ the very same thing you claim there are no graphs for (harmonics) exists in a measured, verifiable form. I know it hurts our egos as artists or creatives, but there is such a thing as an objective measurement of a headphone- there are of course ear canal shape differences etc but these are also gettin measured more and more efficiently. I wouldnt be surprised if this would be widely available in the next 5 years.

6. Euphonic

Euphonic Member

Slate VSX that's all

7. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

There are no great headphones because it all depends on how they fit our heads, and everyone's head is different. Hair, glasses and even where the ear meets the jawline will all dictate the response of the headphones. A 3mm air leak will result in a loss of all frequencies below 50Hz alongside a significant boost of 10dB or more at 400Hz. Not to mention the pressure differential created in your ear canal from a partial or sealed system and the resonance buildups that occur, all depending on the size of your ear canal.