Studio Headphone reviews

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by RachProko, Mar 17, 2024.

1. RachProko

RachProko Producer

This one has more low or highs, or this one has a better sound stage. The other one is more neutral for mixing?

What are really the best headphones? Does anyone really know? And does it really depend on what kind of music you listen to or mix?

I’ve made up my mind! But what about you? What are the best headphones for you?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2024
  3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

The Audeze LCD-5 is after objective standards the best headphone currently available.

4. BlossomwoodsCollection

BlossomwoodsCollection Ultrasonic

I'm a big Beyerdynamic stan. Love the 880's but the DT 990 Pro 250 has my <3 :guru:

5. RachProko

RachProko Producer

6. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

i can't believe you're actually recommending a Sharur video- dude is literally all about aggrieving other members of the headphone review community and spewing clickbait. Do better, man.

The video is incredibly dumb. Why? Because anyone who has actually looked at headphone review with measurements knows the 880 is just... bad. 770 too. 990 too. If you want good for under 200 go akg. If you want to spend more, go slate vsx. Realphones can be good too. Audiosciencereview is a great source of reviews and knowledge regarding headphones. Sharur doesn't educate, he just tell you how much smarter he is than everyone else. The very definition of toxic audio content.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  7. amintvs

amintvs Noisemaker

best headphone for what?
    mixing (flat - resolving)
    tracking (slight v shape - musical)
    mastering (flat or semi v shape - surgerical and unforgiving for correction)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I do not care about any of this, also not about his intentions.

He is reviewing after objective standards. Wasn't that the message of the first post?
    No gossip but only facts?

Because if not, the first post is kinda confusing. :dunno:

9. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

Well, since I am on a lower budget I only can look in the 120€ max range.
    And for my budget I got the best headphones.

The Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro with 250 Ohms.
    I got them for 119,-€ directly from the Beyerdynamic Outlet, available on their website.
    And they even have the same warranty time as new ones.
    And I am really happy with them. :wink:

10. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

It's one review of one 4000eur headphone against a 200eur pair that does NOT represent the best quality of its price range (sub 300. 200 even). I have no idea why you'd post that review as help for finding a pair of headphones.

11. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

Im not telling you what to enjoy or not, but every graph of the 770s shows massive peaks and troughs in the highs. You can get better with the AKG or, if you can stand IEMs, you can just get a salnotes zero or the crinacle Red. Based on measurements and Target freq curves, distortion ratings. Oh and I have tried the 770s and dont like them- i'm not just reading reviews.

Again, not bashing your choice, but advising OP against it.

12. Edna_Uebel

Edna_Uebel Member

In my opinion, there is no such thing as "the" best headphones. (If only because there is no such thing as "standard hearing". Everyone hears differently). Just the headphones that suit you best, because you like them best. In the end, the best headphones are the ones you know best. With all its pros and cons.

How do you find it? By trying as many different pairs of headphones as you can. You'll know when you've found the right one. Get it, if it is not too expensive (for you). Then use it every chance you get to get to know it.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as "the" best headphones. But there are certainly a lot of bad headphones out there. Cheap headphones tend to be bad. The smaller the headphones, the more expensive they have to be to sound good. On the other hand, headphones that cost many hundreds of euros/dollars/whatever usually sound great. But, and this is my personal opinion, none of them are worth the extra cost compared to headphones in the 150-400 euro category. None of them.

I've been using an AKG 702 for years to mix films and series. But I also use them to listen to music (from classical to soundtracks to pop). Many people think that the 702 lacks bass. I don't think so, but it's worth mentioning. I have mixed entire projects in Atmos (9.1.6) on my laptop with these headphones. And they usually sounded very good in the studio afterwards, needing only a little fine-tuning.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

You can buy a lot better than DT770, but for the same money you aren't going to get anything all that much better. There are correction profiles for the DT (anything), for Sonarworks.

A lot of people complain about the Beyerdynamic's high end being fatiguing and so on. If you have read numerous reviews of something, of course you will notice it.

14. SacyGuy

SacyGuy Ultrasonic

I truly love the DT900 pro X.
    Not only because the sonic side, but because it is confortable.

What's the point of an acoustically perfect headphone if I can't use it for hours?

I usually take a break every hour to "reset" my ears, But when things are flowing and I'm feeling inspired, it's hard to spend 4 hours using uncomfortable headphones.

For the final mix&master I only trust in my studio monitors, obviosly not because the headphones fault, but my ears, I just cant

15. Jeffriezal

Jeffriezal Producer

what do you guys think of Sundara and ATH R70x?

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

17. threshhold

threshhold Newbie

I've been using the NDH-30's for the last year and can say they are a solid neutral headphone for mixing. Not as "fun" as some other offerings but it works well for critical listening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

For more than 1000$ for their cheapest cans they had better be... Waste of $$$ obviously...

19. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

...problem with AKG anymore is that they are now owned by HarmonKardon. I was of the same mind you were 3 years ago about AKG and picked up a pair of K240's. I have used K240's in studios for decades and I knew how they sounded - at least back in the day. I had the new K240's about 6 months before the left can started buzzing and finally shit the bed. I sent them in for 5 weeks to harmon for "repairs". About 1 month after I got them back the right can simply quit working. I chucked them because I was not going thru another 5+ weeks without cans and got Beyer 880's and have been steadfast ever since. Also, the new harmon/akg K240's are very "midrangey" and plastic sounding when they work. Never again... I have since gotten another lower Z pair of ATMX50's which are proving very useful when I need a lower Z can in studio... NONE of these were anything near even 500$ and are perfectly fine for what cans should be used for - i.e. NOT for replacing studio monitors... spending more than 500$ on cans is simply a waste of $$ unless you happen to be rolling in $$....

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I have not seen this post.

But to answer this question finally: It is not worth the price in relation to some other objectively fine headphones.

21. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

Headphones ? Haha

[​IMG]