Studio gear connection help (interface and channel strip)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by MasterD, Aug 12, 2017.

1. MasterD

MasterD Member

Hi guys!

I got some new studio gear that i need to connect here in the studio,I am familiar with some of the gear and with some I’m new to. I hope someone here is familiar with the gear listed here and can help me with some of the routing.

So we got this:

1. Apogee Ensemble (firewire type) and a Dangerous D-Box connected to the Apogee for Summing. (using the ANALOG OUTPUT 1 to 8 and ANALOG INPUT 7 & 8 on the Apogee.)

2. Got the Millennia STT Origin channel strip/preamp and two tube condenser mics, Neumann u87 and Brauner tube mic with its own power supply box. I’ll be using these mics one at the time.

I would like to know what is the best routing connection from the Millennia STT Origin to the Apogee Ensemble. Simple as that:) Best routing to give the best audio output with minimum noise.

The Millennia STT Origin as 1 Mic in, 1 Lin in, 1 Direct out, 1 Main out (unbal) and 1 Main out (Dynamics link)

PLEASE do specify cable type and which cable goes where to make it as clear as possible:))

Thank you, appreciate the help!

gear.jpg gear.jpg gear.jpg

3. TW

TW Guest

I am not familliar with the gear only with the dangerous d-box. If i am correct all 8 outputs and 2 (mono) inputs of your interface are used by the d-box? So you only got 1 input availble at your interface ? For the Millennia? And no output?

If yes make a simple ballanced in and out connection.

If i had to connect that gear and there is no output left, I would get a second interface/Adda converter and connect it via adat/smux/s/pdif.

You can than use the extra outputs to connect them to the "line in" (and maybe the dynamic sidechain in) of the millenia. I am pretty sure you would love to be able to use the millennia eq and compressor as inserts in your daw.

4. MasterD

MasterD Member

The dangerous d-box is only using the ANALOG OUTPUT 1 to 8 and ANALOG INPUT 7 & 8 on the Apogee. Other connections on the Apogee are available to use.

As for the Millennia STT Origin - nothing is connected to the unit, so any Inputs or outputs are available to use.

5. MasterD

MasterD Member

Thanks, but i'm NOT asking help regarding the D-BOX.

I'm asking regarding the best connection routing of - "Millennia STT Origin to the Apogee Ensemble"

6. TW

TW Guest

The thing is you have no output on your Interface available. Or am I missing something ?

So all you can do is use the ballanced output of the millennia and connect it to the input 5 or 6 of the ensemble. With a "ballanced xlr-trs cable".

You can use this way the Millennia for tracking/recording.

If you want to be able to use the Millennia for tracking and use the Preamp/EQ/compresssion on tracks in your daw as an "insert" you need an interface output and connect it to the "line in" of the Millennia. If you have no output left on the ensemble you either have to get a patchbay (make 1 output patchable to the preamp and the d-box) or get another adda converter connected via the optical in/out of the interface. This way you can have up to 8 more in and outputs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  7. MasterD

MasterD Member

Thank you TW!

I think I can do that, since currently the Millennia STT Origin will be used only for recording vocals in the studio, using one of the tube condenser mics. just wanted to be sure as which "output" from the Millennia STT Origin to use best.

So: 1 mic goes into the Millennia "Mic in", and then an XLR Male to 1/4" TRS Male from the Millennia "BAL MAIN OUT" goes to the Apogee Ensemble "Analog Input" 5 or 6. That way the vocals can be recorded with Millennia STT Origin's EQ/Compression and other settings if chosen? This Make sense?

Thank you,

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017