Studio Gear => A New Pair of Cans

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by lysergyk, Oct 15, 2011.

1. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

sony has no headphones with srs tech. their headphones are OLD tech. good for djs though, terrible for mixing

I have 3 pairs of ultrasones now.

HFi650's closed back for the booth (kinda boomy/closed back)
    Pro2500 Open backed
    HFi2900 Open backed

I wont buy any other headphones for pro/critical listening

Ultrasone invented the srs tech. the REAL german headphone company

2. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

well you ask questions...I answer them...I'm not defensive, I just told you the headphones you are surprised no one mentioned aren't that great for mixing...and that's why they haven't been mentioned!
    and added that guitars have a specific range of frequencies that do not accommodate certain pair of cans...which you seem not to understand/know... :dunno:

I was looking for a new pair of cans to replace my 15 years old AKG k240M ..I already bought the Ultrasone and really like them...so this topic should be closed, there's nothing else to add really.

3. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

what do you think of the Slogic on the 650? is it kind of faint like on the 750 when listening to "modern" music?

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I definitely notice the srs tech more on the 2xxx/open backed cans than I do on the 650's. Maybe its the new "SRS+" in the 2xxx's as opposed to the plain old srs in the 650's? One thing I do notice, beside the metal plate/magnetic sheilding is that the driver offset in the 2xxx's is more exaggerated. Meaning, the speakers are more offset than in the 650's.
    The 2xxx series do sound noticeably better than the 650's, better separation and clarity of the sounds. The lows sound like they would listening to monitors. You can really hear the flaws in badly recorded/produced music. Hence, theses cans will make you mix better?

Now, the 650's are great for everything else non professional. Because of the bassiness of the closed back design, modern music sounds great. Now by bassiness I dont mean boominess. The lows are still well defined and clear, just more pronounced. I prefer them when Im gaming too, the srs tech is great for shooters. Even though the ultasones are stereo, I bet that theyre probably almost just as good as the turtle beach surround sound gaming phones. I can pinpoint the gunfire in MW3 everytime with em. They were my first ultrasones and turned me into a fanboy :thumbsup: But now they are the goto cans for the booth.
    --
    sG

5. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

thanks for that, pretty interesting :wink:

6. joem

joem Producer

plus another for the hd 25s i also use thease aswell there 30 quid and very very nice up there with headphones that cost 3 times the amount
    http://www.dv247.com/headphones/samson-sr850-professional-studio-reference-headphones--78973

7. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I dont quite agree with the 3 times the price (though for some brands it may be true indeed!), but they are good cans whatsoever and that's good advice, especially if you're on a budget *yes*

8. Rolma

Rolma Guest

In between one of the most interesting and instructive threads I've been following on here!!!! :wink:
    So systematic every take of it!
    Lysergyc Big Ups!

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

it's always good if it can help other people :bow:

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

11. Rolma

Rolma Guest

I had some old AKG (the same model as Lysergyc)
    So I've tried few... (open/ close...etc)
    and the last Thursday I bought the 750 Ultrasone...and I'm really impressed

12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Thats GREAT! :wink:

13. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

glad it helped you personally, choosing a new pair of headphones is never easy!
    did you get the chance to try em before you bought them, ultrasone is not always easy to find?

what I can tell you is that after a good burn in (I did 500 hours) , you really get the best out of them.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I am familiar with the long(er) burn in period for this brand. Upon my first listen (to all 3 models I own), they seem really bright and shrill. Too harsh for comfortable listening.
    Now, I always put my new ultrasones in my sock drawer hooked up to my zune for 3 or more days before i even try to use them. Seems to do the trick :wink:
    --
    sG

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

16. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I guess this review is pretty very well know...but in all honesty not very helpful in the end. All the headphones they tested are rather "old" (not that it means bad!)and they dont really criticize them...as it's more than often the case with magazines these guys just go were the wind ($$$) blows...a bit like the sort of Apple/Windows comments you read when you interview (old) blokes working in studios :phones: