Studio Dynamic Microphone?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mercurysoto, Feb 17, 2016.

1. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

SM7B is a great vocal mic. It is also rarely used on other things, not because it doesn't sound good, I think, but because it is so unwieldy, heavy, and big. Difficult to place sometimes. I have heard/seen it used on grand piano. Make sure you have an industrial grade boom stand for that mic. RE-20 is also an industry standard. Great for lows because of the very large wide diameter of the coil assembly. Great off axis rejection and humbucking wiring. Built in wind and 'splosive filter. Slightly prone to loose parts. Also difficult to place. Has a very "broadcast, voice-over friendly" type of sound.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

This is a hyper bargain for $80! Have you checked N/D468 too? What do you think about it?

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Have not, but got nothin' but love for EV. They were there "in the beginning", with Shure and Altec-Lansing. (JBL) On the other end of the transducer thing, I like Electro-Voice PA speakers, too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  4. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Electro-Voice's loud speakers are very good indeed be they for PA, Bass cab or guitar cab. I know the guitar loudspeaker market thesedays is just over flowing with options but before all that EV was where it was at for a 12" driver that pairs well with a good clean amp, I put one of their models (EVM12L Classic) into my Fender Hotrod Deluxe combo as I bought the amp off of a friend in brand new condition for less than half its lowest street price, Specifically for the sound it creates clean along with being able to use any of my pre-amp collection into it's power amp (It's gain/drive channel is of absolutely no use to me or what I like, Still other player's that I've tracked find good uses for it, So it was a good purchase). Now I've always been a guitar player first, A bass player second and audio engineer/tech third even though the lines get blurred and crossed/merge constantly these days with one or two people doing multiple tasks which not that long ago had a dedicated person to take care of, I'm sure you know exactly what I mean & it is the only means of making abit of money these days wearing many hats. So I'm extremely picky and quite anal about every area that I have control over and options to switch/swap (I dislike using the modifying, Unless I have or I have had someone else go right inside a piece of gear to change things on a component basis, It's alot like this term 'producer' in a way, Used freely by nearly everyone thesedays and it doesn't entail any aspect of what the role by definition involves haha) from whatever is provided as factory default/stock. I also have some older friend's over in America whom play more classic and vintage stuff than I do, I know a few that still have, love and swear by Altec-Lansing drivers for their guitar cabinets and combos. Anyway before going off topic too much, A decent Crown power amp along with EV loaded subs and tops will always deliver a great live sound system in a fair sized venue and I'm sure their array designs are great too for spaces needing such rigs.

I've also got in the mic cupboard an RE-20, RE27N/D, RE-320 and PL-33, All very dependable and designed well.
    Senny MD421 is one of my goto mics for guitar cabs and also toms (I always use more than one mic on guitar cabinets),
    Do not have a MD441 myself but I've used them on a number of occasions to know that I would definately like to add one to the collection. A real gem I get tons of mileage from is Audio-Technica's AE2500 which is a dual, phase alligned capsule design (dynamic and back electret condenser) that is great for kick drums and bass cabinets as advertised but does see use in other areas.

My current trip is boundry layer or PZM microphones, So much fun and getting them at their sweet spot gets some excellent results, Also getting them at spots where the pressure zone is not giving up it's inherant 6db low frequency boost is also very handy I find, Especially inside of a Kick drum to get a really "clicky" attack heavy sound (but anemic in the lower mids and low-end on it's own). Getting or making the time to really explore what one can acheive by using microphones on sources they are not typically assosiated with is some of the most fun I have, Pushing things to their
    limits and also under using the potential of some mic's can deliver just what might work even if expected or not

All the best Gents, Take it easy and hopefully catch up again soon :)

Dean