Studio Desk

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Maduka, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I have a previous version by Glorious. This one...

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Glorious-Workbench-White-/art-DJE0003475-000

First thing about it (only talking about my own desk here) is that unless you modify it it's a set-it-and-leave-it where it is setup because without wheels it's just too heavy to move and will damage a floor. My own solution was to add furniture slider pads beneath the legs - I'm using it on very short-pile carpet. This works well enough to enable me to pull the desk out to access the rear but I wouldn't like to move it around the room with it full of equipment.

I eventually removed the upper shelf and bought some speaker stands that sit on the top of the desk, only because I wanted to narrow the setup because I wanted more space in my room. I also had no use for the racks. I'm using an AmazonBasic monitor clamp arm which works very well.

I really hate the middle legs because they're in the way of my legs and feet.

The height of the keyboard is a little low for me and hits my thighs (I'm 6' and the height my adjustable chair is permanently fixed using a piece of plastic plumbing pipe in place of gas cylinder - would recommend doing that if you're tired of replacing those things when the chair starts sinking, it's a simple job).

I wouldn't buy this desk again but neither am I looking for a replacement. The construction is very solid. I considered adding wheels but bear in mind that will raise the height of the keyboard and desk so you need to carefully measure that scenario.

I considered getting the producer station linked above when choosing this Glorious desk but although I liked the wheels and all the space I really didn't need the rack mounts. But it was a close call and I sometimes think maybe I should have opted for that.

This new version of the Glorious looks good but I'm wondering where exactly that piece underneath sits - if it's far enough at the rear then your legs won't hit it but it depends how deep the desk is - I have my legs and feet to the left of the centre collumn with mine.

The last thing I will say is that it's almost certainly worth paying maybe up to 30 or 40% more than you would like to spend because you will probably use it for many years and often. Also, it's nice having everything built together but a more modular system would offer better ergonomic options. Floor standing speaker stands give more desktop space and isolation for example. But aren't cheap.

2. Anubhav Ukil

Anubhav Ukil Producer

I will post my desk and trust me, it may look not so flattering, but it works to improve the sound. I get 0 reflection from the desk. This is an older Image. I will post the recent image whenever possible. The left side is a PC Cabinet box I made to contain the PC Noise. Left, I have a drawer (now it looks way different) 273573744_4712166635567494_941474639388069002_n.jpg

Now, I don't and I won't put gears on the desk.
    To do that, make low profile Rack Cabinets (What Bob Katz did and it is there in his book as well).
    In my case, the Controllers (ATOM SQ), Tab, Phone (both Tab and Phone with Lemur as a controller), keyboard and Mouse and my 43" 4K DIY Touchscreen will be on the desk, nothing else.
    Please do not put speakers on the Desk. Make dedicated Stands. 273364362_4699350320182459_1246648327754386973_n.jpg

Now, as you can see, the speaker will be inside this stand and the Sub will be on Top. Why Sub on top? Well, I had to particularly for my room, but this stand is heavy and sturdy as fuck, it acts as a Tube Trap as well as a Basic 8" deep (20"*20" Porus absorber and the bass is 6" Sand filled)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

On this one, they mounted a board across the bottom for stability. Theoretically, you could do that too.

Dimensions_Glorious Sound Desk PRO_V2021

[​IMG]

4. DonaldTwain

DonaldTwain Kapellmeister

What's the weight limit on that keyboard tray? I'd like to have a desk like this, but I have an Oxygen88 which has weighted keys so the whole keyboard weighs about 20kgs. I'm concerned it would be too heavy.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

That's too heavy for the Studio Desk - you need another solution.
    M-Audio - Oxygen 88 - Weight: 21.2 kg
    Dimensions: 140,5 cm x 35,6 cm x 14 cm (L x W x H)

[​IMG]

Popular keyboard stands tested: which one is right for me?
    https://www-e--piano--test-com.tran...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp
    Beliebte Keyboardständer im Test: Welches ist der Richtige für mich?
    www.e-piano-test.com/keyboardstaender-fuer-e-pianos/

6. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

Thanks guys for your help and time. I appreciate it :wink:

7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I have one of those Glorious desks and it has worked out well for my needs. I do have the swivel monitor attachments and can easily position my speakers to my needs. I think that I paid about 350 bucks for it and the keyboard drawer has been fine for my 61 key Novation midi controller. I haven't needed to move it yet so can't vouch for the durability of its integrity.

[​IMG]

8. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Platinum Record

A few years ago i came across a forum or website, which had blueprints for custom studio desks. People just sharing there projects that they have built and ones they were using. I cant find it now unfortunately, i used to bookmark these stuffs but nope..
    U should check that too.. I ll post it here if i find it. Or even if others come across, pls do share it here.

9. justsomerandomdude

It was something like this https://gearspace.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/886395-diy-custom-studio-workstation-desk.html

10. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

If you have a circular saw and a router, you can make it yourself, just buy the material. the lower part of the table is made of wood, such as oak, and the table top is made of marble slab. in this way, we get
    a table that doesn't create unnecessary resonances.
    Here is a video of a guy who made concrete stands on a soft substrate and shot the sound, the difference is noticeable.

11. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

I feel like I should post "Please do not do this" , because it is not the safe way to do that kind of thing. Use a table saw.

13. obi-juan

obi-juan Member

This reminded me of a video I saw a few years ago. He made a DIY video of a similar design for a desk but one made by Output (Platform). At the end of the video, he mentioned that if you like building stuff then you could save some money that way. On the other hand, he did mention that the price point for those desks are reasonable (if you opt to just purchase it online) considering the time/ resources he had to put in.

I also agree with them if in case you're not into building stuff on your own or don't have the tools/ workplace to build one. There might be some details in the video you can use as reference. Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask for quotations and see if your local furniture workshop or carpentry can offer you a better price to have the desk built/commissioned. Good luck! :bow:

14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Before going down the DIY route it's worth considering that decent wood isn't cheap, at least in the UK.

15. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

There are also hacks around the web for Ikea-based desks, well worth looking into.

16. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

you are not going to save any money paying someone to build for you; not even close. But you should end up with a nicer result!

18. justsomerandomdude

:rofl:

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Studio Desk Build
    https://imgur.com/a/gCHop#0

Building The Ultimate Studio Desk

Building A Studio desk UNDER $100 With gear racks

20. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

Thank you guys. I will check if I can find someone to built this for me. I’m checking ikea to see if I can get something cheaper. I live in NYC so nothing is cheap. This is my setup right now. I just want to upgrade my desk. Thank you guys.

Attached Files: