Studio Desk \ Furniture.. where to buy?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by One Reason, Feb 24, 2012.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I am currently in the market for a good, spacious studio desk, I need something 5 ft x 3ft, having a hard time finding something that size, at a decent price..

Ive looked at all the Office supply stores \ sites, with no joy.

Anyone have any good resources regarding this, hopefully under the 200$ mark ?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

3. Amour013

Amour013 Newbie

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I had looked at that earlier, how sturdy is it? Any drawbacks?

I would have to buy a separate keyboard drawer kit for underneath so add another 50-75 bucks for that.. *yes*

Hmm.. certainly looks like a decent desk at a decent price tho..

5. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

craigslist you mite get lucky

6. Amour013

Amour013 Newbie

It supports a 24" flat display and 2 Yamaha HS80m's on top... some racked gear, audio interface, keyboard, mouse, a few more miscellaneous items..... and a fresh glass of some Chimay Cinq Cents Ale to boot down below. I keep my keys on the side on their own stand, although I have used them on the main surface with my keyboard/mouse off to the right. I've not had a need to mount an underside keyboard tray.... but I can see where that may be important for some.

I feel the stability of the unit is top notch as well as the ease of assembly.
    I picked it up at my local Geetar Centa for about $175 - dunno if I would pay $200 plus shipping though. If you can get it local I highly recommend it.

7. limitemcee

limitemcee Newbie

i bought a nice studio desk for 45$ on craigslist enough for my monitors laptop or tower to fit and it came with decent size racks for my presonus eureka back when it wasn't stolen :sad:

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Well, I have an Mpk49, and Apc 40 and of course PC keyboard and mouse, also a 24' and 19' screens and a pair of behringer truth B2031A monitors (quite large), and a small mixer, all of which now reside on my fairly small glass desk..

I recently moved into a much more spacious residence, but still at the same small desk.... its driving me crazy...

That desk may work out, I just wish it had a keyboard tray...

Im also entertaining the idea of building my own desk.... some nice 3/4" oak plywood perhaps, stained very dark, and varnished to death.

That way at least.. i can build to suit.. Ive scoured the net, haven't found ANYthing 60X36 \ 5X3 ft

I dunno...

Any master furniture builders out there?? :mates:

9. limitemcee

limitemcee Newbie

I was going to refer you to build your own desk aswell its better sometimes and you save $$ sometimes lol. I am about to build a shed storage room 10x10 for my studio hopefully once I finish it don't come crashing on top of me during a session

10. distro

distro Newbie

I've built my own desk. Seen here: http://i.imgur.com/6GHsQ.jpg
    Its completely custom made for my equipment and I love it.
    However, I had a budget of $300 originally, and it ended up costing my about $700 and 150 some hours of work.
    If you must build yourself a desk, DO IT ONLY if you cannot buy exactly what you want and you must have it a certain way.
    Or otherwise, really enjoy building furniture.
    Building your own desk should not be a method of saving money. Unless you already own your own woodworking shop, it will be expensive and very tedious.
    And if that's not the case, you'll probably end up with a piece of shit product that you end up throwing away in the long run and just buying something store bought.

11. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Gonna build Myself one of these peaches some day. *yes*

Good stuff to get idea`s from and then just get Yourself a load of MDF and customize to Your own requirements.

http://www.studio-furniture.com/41.html

Best of luck with Ya choice Bro. :thumbsup:

12. limitemcee

limitemcee Newbie

right on point you must have everything in order to save money :thumbsup: nice desk looks store bought

13. sickmaniac

sickmaniac Newbie

go for it my friend you can do it you are a expert on it Lol :bleh:

14. sickmaniac

sickmaniac Newbie

amazon brother they got some good ones and cheap

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I do like the idea of building my own, and I've actually done it as well.
    Since you know exactly what has to fit on it, you could build one that perfectly matches your equipment.
    And it's fun working with wood ... hmmmm ... the smell .... ;-)
    It's not necessarily less expensive, but for sure, for the same price you get better quality and individuality :)

Get some inspiration first from ikeahackers.net (e.g. Expedit shelves re-used for a studio desk) and google image search, of course.

Other ideas to think about:
    - Mounting the speakers to the wall using adjustable speaker wall mounts (this will give you more flexibility in speaker positioning and setting the right angle and distance from the wall)
    - Putting some of your equipment on flat drawers (in a side rack) that you only pull out when needed, even a small mixing desk or your APC40, which will be more accessible this way when you're sitting, because it's placed lower than the desk.
    - Place the PC (and the sub woofer, maybe) somewhere behind the desk to gain more space in front. Usually, one rarely needs direct access to the PC, and USB ports can easily be extended by cables.
    - Try to keep the height of the keyboard drawer, including keyboard, as low as possible. Another reason to build your own.

Good luck!

16. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thx everyone for your comments...

how did your desk end up costing so much, and taking so long? I lost sleep earlier over it.

17. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

> how did your desk end up costing so much, ...
    Well, mankind tends to idealize rather than to rationalize, and is prone to not take into account the little "irrelevant" stuff like drills, screws, glue, paint, stain, fuel for the car etc etc. 8-)

> and taking so long?
    Aren't we all top-notch furniture-building experts, planning on how everything would exactly go, just to find that if we had to be honest, in reality we'd waste quite some time until what we planned *does* finally get any close. :rofl:

Which, btw, wouldn't make the whole thing less fun for me.

Just make sure you pick the right kind of wood. There's plenty of choice out there, so make sure you know them all before you start.

18. sp4zz

sp4zz Newbie

I've found that just regular old computer desks can do the job quite well if you look around for one that suits your equipment.

I'm in the process of upgrading right now, and my mother has an older computer desk that is very similar to the Studio RTA Creation Station that she is going to let me have if I move it out of her apartment myself.

It will fit 2 20+ inch LCD panels and 2 KRK Rokit monitors on the top level shelf, enough desk space for my midi controllers, mixer, audio interface, with room left over. And it has a keyboard drawer underneath the actual desk that slides out easily. It's quite sturdy and she said that it was $250 new back when she bought it several years ago.

19. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I have actually built my own... *yes* , took about a week, cost about 170$ using Oak 3/4 plywood, stained, glossed....big too, 5x3 ft....VERY happy.

:dancing:

20. Jessmile

Jessmile Newbie

Black desks are commonly used, nowadays, as home furniture. It is not surprising as they are quite suitable in every home or even in the work place. They do not only serve as functional work surfaces, they can be used decoratively to create interest in a room. A desk with multiple functions, that allows the user to do their work better, plus a color like black which symbolizes power and prestige, is the perfect mix of utility, class, and style.

When you do want to purchase a desk, you'll probably need to think beyond just choosing black as its color. You still have a few hoops to jump through to get the perfect black desk for you. You must choose wisely, so as not to end up buying an unreliable, poor quality desk for your room and end up wasting money. Different factors are to be considered, such as the size and the type of desk you need for your room.

You can buy this desk at at black desk

21. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

buy tools and make your own desk. it's not hard *yes*