Strumming MIDI Pattern for Shreddage 2?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by abhinavjoshua, Jan 16, 2014.

1. abhinavjoshua

abhinavjoshua Noisemaker

I have recently started using Shreddage 2 from Impact Sound Works. It's really nice sounding!
    But I really don't like the sound when it comes to Power Chords. It sounds totally unnatural.
    Is there any midi strumming patterns for Shreddage 2?

3. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Well I have the answer to this but...

According to the manual these are the keyswitches needed to specify directionality. However I never thought it worked that well. But I've found a work around that can be done in 2 versions depending on the "exact" sound you want

C-2: Set stroke (picking) direction to alternating down/up.
    C#-2: Set stroke direction to downstrokes only.
    D-2: Set stroke direction to upstrokes only.

1. Set up a multi with multiple instances of shreddage in it. Set them to different midi channels with the 2nd instance set to upstroke only and one chords/notes you what upstroke specific set them to the midi channel with the upstroke only setting on. However sometimes the upstroke doesn't sound quite right and that's because it plays it in either a bad position or the tuning of the guitar just isn't ideal for the upstroked chords. In which case you move to method 2.

2. Set up 2 different shreddage 2 instances on different instruments. The first one will be your standard and will play everything in the normal up/down position depending on tempo and how the variation of the up/down is set 1/8,1/16.1/32. However on the second instrument your upstroke may not sound as well due to tuning. In this case you want to set up your chords and of course have it on upstroke only. Then mess around with the general kontakt tuning to find the best "position" for that chord and then adjust the midi accordingly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89232694/Hell%20In%20Your%20Eyes%20100per%20test.mp3

This is an example of the 2nd method I used in this song. You can tell several of the chords are specificly upstroked [wouldn't work any other way] and to get the exact upstroke sound needed the 2nd shreddage is tuned differently. So while the first instrument is general kontakt tuned to -4 the upstroke instrument is set to +2 to get the correct position to get what would be on a real instrument to sound like the proper placement.

And while you may ask why not just use the keyswitch on it, what it produced in the position on the guitar sample just sounded bad so the only way to make it natural was to pull some tricks and that is the result.

If you need any help beyond this reply and I'll see if I explain it better or make a short tutorial on it.

Oh and the thought occurred to me the other day there is another solution you can try out. When using the lower octaves for chords you can always switch up to the legato range and write out the chords in midi. If you want a specific upstroke sound then on the full legato write out add higher strings and it seems to either force it to upstroke or the added higher notes on the chord can at least give you a more natural strumming sound.

So basically just switch it up using the chords and then writing the chords out in the legato area.