struggling with high frequencies...

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by TruBlood, Aug 9, 2017.

1. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

This is an awesome tip. I found myself disabling the compressors as well so I didn't smash the track alongside of the emulated compressors I like to run on eg. vocal tracks, etc.
    It's a really good idea to look at the cuts and boosts it makes and copy them to a more musical sounding eq.
    What are your thoughts on Ozone 7's eq? (not the vintage one, the standard one) Do you find it to be harsh similar to Neutron?

2. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

from the mixing book of SOS

https://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Presents/dp/0240815807

ps. subharmonic enhancers also quite interesting topic, plugins >
    Waves LoAir and Apple Logic’s bundled SubBass

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. shon3i

shon3i Noisemaker

In mine opinion McDSP Analog Channel AC101, does what you looking for. It reduces transient harshness, but not destroy transients. It make high freqency to sound more pleasant.

4. outofnames

outofnames Newbie

try RBass from waves loAir is hard to control if you music is fast

5. YFManagement

YFManagement Kapellmeister

i used to ask myself that question all the time then through the years of experience , i notice the best way to do it is to .
    for instance -
    on the dry signal
    1. clean up the harsh or spiky frequencies but do it for every instrument down to every vox but while in mix
    Method A. EQ it out gentely (EQ Method)
    Method B. tame the harsh frequency with a Multiband compressor (Multiband Method)
    Method C. if problem is esses or high frequency i'll almost always over de-ess with a de-esser because i know i'll brighten it later (De-ess Method)
    2. Compression , tame spiky transient / leveling & Saturation
    3. once everything sounds good ( in terms of good to my taste ) i'll buss all AUX and SENDS to Mixbuss
    4. i'd assume you have everything leveled and almost good to go but its missing things that you can point out right away i'll then go address it
    either individual track or bus.
    "some compressors such as Cl1b or some emulated La-2a's do treatment to the top end as well keep that in mind ."
    whole idea is to tame everything not squash everything before you go for that shine at the top ~H.I.T.S

6. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Go deeper. Use Fletcher-Munson curve.

[​IMG]

7. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

No high end issue on this mix using 99% Nebula and Acqua's.

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I have learned over time to ensure tracks have clarity before starting a mix.

Remember that a track on it's own will sound great but loses focus as you start adding tracks. Just as with lower frequencies, you must adjust EQ and levels with mids & highs. Also choose EQ/Comp or Comp/EQ per track where needed. Sometimes a good limiter works better at the track level because you normally retain tonal balance/focus.

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Man, I remember breaking my ass recording cassette tapes with dolby B back in the day. And then in order to pay off my efforts when listening in the friend car cassette player "lower the highs! lower the highs!!!" lol