Streaming music production with some pirated plugins... Will I get in trouble?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by 990, Jan 7, 2023.

1. 990

990 Ultrasonic

I dont understand why an average media composer will get a bad name for using pirated stuff. Most average people in audio use some cracked stuff. You cannot buy all the things you need. And its not our fault exactly. If you are a game developer, you can have all your software for free, and pay when you make a lot of money. Of course its easier to make money from games and not music. Thats why you have to pay everything in music. Most people are not gonna make any money from music. Also if you work you dont have time to create sounds from scratch. I usually deliver in 2-3 days. There is no time to create sounds. I need to go to the next project so I can eat.

My plan was to stream while working. But maybe its better to start with pre-recorded videos and see how that goes. I dont care about views or an income from streaming. I believe its a good way to find new clients, thats all.

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yeah, I believe it was a Future Music "The Making of..." series video where he was using a cracked version of Sylenth. Video is below, and you see at 2:31 that his Sylenth is licensed to Team VTX 2011:

[​IMG]

Martin Garrix also got caught with a cracked Sylenth licensed to Team AiR:

[​IMG]

As well as Steve Aoki using a Team ArCADE licensed version of SYlenth:

[​IMG]

You also had Savant using a Team AiR licensed version of Ohmicide too:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. demberto

demberto Rock Star

I am surprised nobody mentioned him yet. 0:47 - Sylenth1 licensed to "iDONTKNOWWHO"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. 990

990 Ultrasonic

I also believe Kanye West had an open piratebay tab with a logic plugin in one photo. Deadmau5 was tweeting about this, if I my memory serves me well.

5. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

AFAIK Mr West has to much money and status to monkey around Piratebay....
    but see guys, what happened to them? The famous ones with CRACK(ED) STUFF? Nothing. Don't worry, be happy :mates::wink:

6. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

He said nazi things and lots of bullshit. Cracked plugins are just a little part from that huge iceberg that's mr west

7. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

we all saw his Alex Jones moment, but lets not go off topic. Actually it was a great stream they had, regarding collecting and sampling his voice. Wanna get famous? Sample his voice from that podcast, add some island boys chorus voices and create a bouncy 2 minute techno song about it....release it on tiktok of course....the $$$$ will be pouring in no time. Buy me a bitcoin, at least after you get famous. You're welcome.:disco:

8. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

9. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

neva forget

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I can totally see why would artists also use cracked software.

I mean if you are to lazy to look for your login/serial, you are simply faster to go for the cracked version. Pretty sure people like Avicii changed notebooks a lot and here setup everything legit up, just takes to long. (i mean if you own legit software, but ar ejust to lazy to install it, nothing wrong with that. But not owning it and using it, is not okay.) But this is to far from the actual discussion.

I think if OP just hides the non legit plugins and only uses the legit ones. Seems to be the best solutions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

He unfortunately passed away. Avicii lived from September 8, 1989 to † April 20, 2018.

12. Droplet 2

Droplet 2 Ultrasonic

The damage done by these cracks will echo for generations.

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Priceless :rofl::rofl:
    We should invite to join this thread: good practices when using... bad practices? Wait, that sounded better in my brain...

14. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

big misconceptions here.. apples oranges and bananas

while you can end up 'looking cool' being a 'star' doing lines, crack, chicks ..even getting shot, that does not translate well to the other side of the industry, like being a studio owner, mix/master eng, film/game music composer. (I'm talking about keeping up appearances, not the reality ofc)

Also every time this Q pops up, we have to dig out poor Avicii. And then Kanye lol ..aren't there hundreds of cases from the past year, since everybody is doing it?

Mind that I personally dislike the practices of most SW companies, I am eternally grateful for the teams to balance their greediness. I usually tried things for about a year, before purchasing. My motto is simply - get the license before publishing (or going public)

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

Or spend a lot more time replacing stuff, including "samples". That Kanye thing probably sold a bunch of copies, and replacing sounds gets very easy with practice.

16. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

Maybe Avicii or Aoki was part of the team, hidden in plain sight you know.:rofl:

17. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

Honestly, mate, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I've shared a lot of videos of my band recording things and programming, but I never show any of the VSTs that are used, because that is that is the more worrying thing when it comes to pirated VSTs.

I really, really wouldn't worry too much about it. No one is going to know if what you use is pirated or paid for as long as you don't have the VST on screen.

18. 990

990 Ultrasonic

Yes but I cannot stream that way. I mean I can by using my second monitor but its not a fun thing to watch if you are into production. Another solution is to use my legit stuff plus a presonus sphere sub. Their instruments are not that great but I believe I can make them work. I do a lot of video game work and studio one instruments are more suited to edm I guess.

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

if "Fun to Watch" is your concern, I am not sure that legit plugins are going to help. Do you juggle or something?

20. 990

990 Ultrasonic

I watch music production streams and one of the "fun" part is to see what plugins other producers are using. I am trying to do something that I would enjoy as a viewer. I dont juggle unfortunately.