Strange computer slowdown and need help

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, Jun 4, 2017.

1. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Yeah, this is more like what I would do. Sorry, bad assumption on my part.

Glad I didn't put it on my production machine. Testing it on my daily driver right now with no issues yet.

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm gonna take the plunge @subGENRE. Don't you dare fuck my machine up even further! :rofl:

3. saltwater

saltwater Guest

i have some questions:

did this ever work how it should anytime before ?

are there any other slowdowns besides the transfer speed and lost internet connection?

after you transferred the files, does the system behave normally again or do you have to reboot?

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yup. All worked smoothly from April until a few days ago. And before April the exact hardware has worked with previous fresh installs for the past 2 or 3 years.

Nope. It doesn't seem like it.

It kinda performs normally, but not quite and I usually do need to reboot to get it back up to the norm.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Might work a ok with your machine. The thing is always do tweak my OS for music production so i guess it was already working alright.

6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Try tweaking.com
    I managed to fix my laptop when all other attempts failed.
    http://www.tweaking.com/

7. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Bunford If it doesn't work uninstall it. your problems are deeper than pocessor balancing

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I didn't think about that might as well try my video card driver too

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

what? really? I'm sorry. Definitely didn't intend for that to happen. Is everything back to normal now?

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, I am just wondering as I can;t find a conclusive answer via google. When you open Task Manager (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC), how many apps, how many background processes and how many Windows processes are you running?

Mine, at idle, shows up at:

Apps: 2
    Background processes: 70
    Windows processes: 77

Just trying to work out whether this is about normal.

11. diofan

diofan Newbie

If that's the case then try to downgrade it. See reply #18 for reasons why the latest and greatest isn't always as it seems.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  12. diofan

diofan Newbie

You state you're transferring files over USB 3.0....but from where, an external HDD or USB stick? Possibly the source media is to blame?

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I don't think this is any help but I'm running Windows 7 and I have it down to 42 processes total including my antivirus

14. thecow

thecow Guest

Can't be chipset driver as it doesn't content any real driver and hypothetically not needed for your computer to work, read this:
    http://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html

I do not recommend to clean the registry with Ccleaner, this is probably your mistake, it can easily break the proper functioning of the OS. If you use registry cleaner from ccleaner, I advice to untick the 4 first ones : DLL, extensions, ActiveX and Library type.

My computer at idle : Apps: 1 (Task Manager that I just opened)
    Background processes: 11
    Windows processes: 29
    I use (and recommend) Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB : No Store, no windows Aps, no Cortana, no Edge, no shit...very stable and clean.

-------------------
    my opinion/experience = not to enter in a sterile "OS war"
    What I read sometimes here and there about windows 10, stability and drivers is real bullshit, windows is built on windows 7 kernel.
    Windows 10 has some new very usefull features and is optimized for ssds and newer cpus. I personaly never had any problem with it, in fact it is (a bit, ok) faster and has much more hardware compatibility than previous OS. Example: I can change my ssd from my desktop tower to my laptop -completely different machines- it will boot without any problem, Windows installs needed drivers, so no need to reinstall all the programs on the laptop, just some missing driver and after a quick cleaning it is good to go! Try to do this with windows 7...In fact 99,9% of the time the problems are the "operator" lack of knowledge, but its easier to blame others for his own incompetence. Anyway...This doesn't help in anything to say "you shouldn't install this beta OS, this other one is more stable etc."Try to really help instead.
    -----------------

You don't need another software for handling cpu tasks either, Windows handles it perfectly (it's just a placebo effect that will bring more problems than solve). For music production and audio/video streaming it is often recommended to disable C1 and C6 State in bios (Core reducing speed when idle), and of course checking the power settings: max everything, no sleep etc.

If you didn't do yet, run some (very) basic checks:
    -Be sure to use SATA AHCI and not IDE: in device manager your ATA driver should indicate SATA AHCI (normally it is if you enabled SATA in bios)
    -verify trim is enabled on your SSD,
    -verify write caching is enabled on all your HDD,
    -check your paging configuration: if it shows a value less than windows recommend, enter manually the recommended value (your system will run faster, that's a known trick), if you have a lot of ram (more than 16go) you can disable paging.
    -to optimize your system you can disable services you don't need, check http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/ for that.
    -Run SSD optimization, memory check, disk check (chkdsk), sfc/ scannow (system file integrity),
    -Check your SSD health (S.M.A.R.T Status), normally ssd manufacturer have an utility for that.
    -Benchmark your SSD speed and compare with the manufacturer value.
    -backup your system and restore to a previous backup if you have.
    -in last resort DISM, and finally inplace upgrade/reinstall (so you don't lose your programs and files), it can be faster than finding the problem. I second advices given by Diofan on 1st page, some very good advices there. I will add, that If you tweak/update/clean often, I'd recommend to do regular backups, for example with acronis -which is very fast and safe- so you can always go back to a "working state" in a few minutes.

Tweaking windows repair is very good, but only if some windows functionalities are broken, there it can save you.

For the drivers, I recommend to check the good http://www.win-raid.com/forum.php forum : newest drivers are not necessarily the best for your configuration (cpu/motherboard). Especially true for SATA/Raid drivers, and Intel management engine driver/firmware. I do not recommend third party programs for drivers either, as it will not always show the good driver for your hardware. Using driverscloud.com is safe though, and as program Dumo is the less bad imho (be sure to download zip version without adware).

Finally, for internet optimization, TCP optimizer is very good https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php . Normally you don't really need but if something went broken/changed by a third party program it can be usefull. Again as said Diofan, you could compare the speed with another computer on the same network, to ensure it's computer related and not your network.

PS: If you want you can upgrade from Windows Pro to Windows Enterprise LTSB, that's what I did and worked perfectly, you just need to edit a value in registry and do inplace upgrade. Link https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/upgrade-win-10-pro-to-win-10-ltsb-2016-help.72620/

hope you get it sorted, good luck!

PS2: last thoughts, it could be a heat problem, or the usb Hub drivers (use windows ones don't force install Intel ones), also see if power management is unticked in device manager for usb hubs

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. saltwater

saltwater Guest

the cow is absolutely right, this is the way to go for a stable system.

Enterprise LTSB is a long-term support version of Windows 10 Enterprise released every 2 to 3 years. They are supported with security updates for 10 years after their release, and intentionally receive no feature updates, and it doesn't have all that shitloads of garbage bloatware included in normal versions.

"never touch a running system" is a golden rule meaning do NOT go the "i always use the latest driver" way.

the latest driver isn't always the best, do not update any driver if you don't have issues.
    windows does not need any performance tweak software really, since it handles everything properly on its own.
    i especially find this process prioritize tools critical which could result in the problem we have here.
    most tweaks can be done manually anyway without any bloatware.

i found a lot of people with this strange 355 KB/s cap in all kinds of transfers, even Internet downloads.

the various solutions where:

-reinstalled windows :)
    -not using Chrome
    -backup software in the background
    -re enabling Page file
    -not enough free space on one disk
    -Onedrive
    -un- and reinstall network and various other drivers
    -disabled windows defender, which did a real time scan resulting in this throttled speed
    -changed external cable
    -changed internal cable from the front ports to the mainboard, (one had the internal cable on the wrong spot).
    -changed port
    -defective hard drive
    -AV, malware scanners, mostly the realtime stuff seems to cause this
    -unplugging everything possible, boot up, shutdown, replug
    -Hubs, switches, and the power adapters of them causing earthing issues
    -chipset heat issues because lack of air flow.

your system should be able to handle everything simultaneously at high speed since your cpu can handle 40 lanes.

there has to be something in the last days that caused this issue

did you do any hardware changes recently? from a new gpu to just a different cable, everything could matter.
    did you change the connection order of your usb cables? (un and reinstall network/usb driver could solve that issue)

did you had any results in safe mode/another windows installation?
    i would try another fresh windows installation on a small partition just with the basic drivers needed to do a test-transfer
    if it works there, update that system and see if it still works.

you could also install the free version of Sandra, analyzing your system with it an see what it finds. afterwards uninstall it.

http://www.sisoftware.eu

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  16. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Before you use any type of software... you could use Ubuntu Live cd to test your system.
    It's free. It's fast. It's safe.

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Seems its working ok now.

18. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

@SineWave I've had moar probs w/ fucking win7 in the last week than win10 since install. But that's just me. All OS have quirks...

Wait, u don't have a gfx card? Let alone anything ASIO or anything bluetooth or anything MIDI? :/

19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

ASIO? Every body uses tape here? Mandella happened, shit has changed around here.
    Im about to go to cinema now, E.T is premiering.

20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

E.T.? Dafuq. Next you'll be telling me they'll be making a film about some dinosaurs being re-made using some genetically modified bullpap!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List