Storytelling

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Dec 20, 2017.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. foster911

foster911 Guest

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

While many songs tell no story and are sustained instead by other lyrical methods, the tradition of storytelling in songs, and in epic poems, has flourished for centuries. Modern story songs are a crystallization of this ancient form. Most of these, regardless of generation or genre, share one constant: vivid, visual and specific details. It’s the same as with any storytelling, no different than telling a story to a kid. The more vivid the story, the more genuine its sense of time and place, the more compelling it will be. No kid wants a vague story they cannot envision. A good story song relies on this same understanding.

Although some contend that any lyric too personal cannot connect with an audience, in truth it’s the most specific songs which are the most universal. Though few of us grew up impoverished in Butcher’s Holler, Loretta Lynn’s “Coal Miner’s Daughter” is so realistically conveyed that the song is instantly understood. As long as the story is related in a vividly visual and compelling way, so that the listener can sense its human truth, that is all that matters.

Essentially two kinds of modern story songs exist: the multi-verse epic and the compact, succinct story song. The epics, like those ancient rhymed poems, relate a detailed story through multiple verses. It’s a tradition sustained in countless Dylan epics, such as “Tangled Up In Blue” or “Isis,” both of which are dimensional, cinematic songs that gain a power and momentum from the cascading progression of many verses. Dylan’s created many songs like a great filmmaker crafting an epic movie, using the expansion of time to provide added dimension and reality. “Isis” is a mysterious, mystical epic of life, death, greed, fraud, and ultimately love. Set to a simple but hypnotic and ever-incendiary melody, the entire song takes off like a jet and never stops.

Telling an entire linear story in long, epic songs can be much easier than in short songs. Creating an entire narrative arc in only three verses is a challenge, as it requires a real economy with language, compacting much time and detail into few words. It’s a problem solved in many ways, often by the use of a character speaking, so that what is said reveals as much about the character as about the scene itself, and what is left unsaid brings as much content as that which is stated overtly. Since a song is a form designed for repetition – to be heard, hopefully, over and over – the use of mystery, and things unsaid, is effective.

... Read the rest:
    http://americansongwriter.com/2017/10/tell-story-song/

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

In a song, a story can be told succinctly in three or four four- or six-line verses, with the chorus or refrain serving to hold a mirror to the "new sense" made with each verse, and a bridge or "middle eight" providing an illuminating aside. This can be done without coming across like Gramps recounting "the time when . . ." after someone's heard the song a few times, if the lyrics are engagingly wrought, and if the arrangement of the accompaniment commands attention and unfolds the drama in a parallel manner. But, if it's making kids wanna fuck that one is after, disregard what I've said.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

I favor this. Not to say non-story telling is bad. I find the opposite much more interesting, as listeners. Among my favorite in this genre notably Love Story (Taylor Swift), Dr. Stein (Helloween), and Stan (Eminem).

7. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

Here's an interesting story--not necessarily true, but interesting nonetheless:

Or on SoundCloud:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  8. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Yup, much like any given episode of MLP.

♪ ♫ I Joined ISIS on the fifth day of May ♪ ♫

"He reshapes the world," I whispered, belligerent. "So his name implies. He stares strange-eyed at the mindless world and turns dry sticks to gold." "The Shaper may yet improve men's minds, bring peace to the miserable Danes." But they were doomed, I knew, and I was glad. No denying it. Let them wander the fogroads of Hell." --Wikiquote

9. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

storytelling in music is essential.
    even instrumentals tell a story

what is a story?

( it is when our brain puts together a narrative from information around us)
    note. ( whether the narrative is accurate with reality or not is another issue!)

the most successful songs albums videos musicians artists performers composers arrangers
    use storytelling, and the storytelling connects with the most number of people possible.

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

Listen to how this master of dance-music production underplays the importance of lyrics and overplays the lyric-less storytelling production. I think he essentially doesn't know what the story is::bleh:

Lyrics I think are grossly overestimated as to how important they are. If you listen to the charts especially listen to the lyrics of them, a big percentage of those songs does have really shitty too no lyrics at all. So I don't think lyrics are as important as they used to be, also again this depends on the style right, in country music even though that's changing too as well, country music, lyrics tend to be more important as in folk music, hip hop used to be like that as well now it's also moving into more commercial areas where it's not as important anymore. So depends very much on the style but in general lyrics aren't as important anymore.

11. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Louie Louie, oh no
    Me gotta go
    Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
    Louie Louie, oh baby
    Me gotta go

Distilled poesy :)

12. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

"The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms."
    -
    Muriel Rukeyser

13. foster911

foster911 Guest

The modern culture leads everything to precipitancy and no one tends to be deep. I think stories in the lyrics have been emptied and shifted to the movies.:dunno:

Everyone can grasp a DAW and start to make music but movie making isn't that easy.

14. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

It therefore follows that jazzers either have no stories to tell, or suck at telling them. Resonate with very few; nowhere as successful as a random boy band :\
    "People say sometimes that Beauty is only superficial. That may be so. But at least it is not so superficial as Thought. To me, Beauty is the wonder of wonders. It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances." --WikiQuote

15. foster911

foster911 Guest

Man don't bring the Jazz into the play if you don't want this thread to be closed.:hillbilly::hahaha:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

The stories in lyrics will never die: Every Iron Maiden album proves this in a different way... and this one is simply amazing:

Further, much of today's music continues to tell stories (nowadays less contemplative and archaic due to the preference for postmodern themes/approaches): every song is a narrative of some kind... :dunno:

17. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

You should get Vegas or Premiere. More fun than you can shake a stick at.

18. black.afrika.zulu.x

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  19. black.afrika.zulu.x

20. spyfx

spyfx Guest

my friend foster here is a story that i want you to watch & listen to & tell me your thoughts/feelings about it & what you understood :yes: :bow: :

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. foster911

foster911 Guest

Was enjoyable specially the blurred masterpieces but I usually call in @famouslut to scrutinize such cases. He's the one we're hunting for.:bleh: