Stopping Reverb in after midi regions?

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Highdom, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

I use reverb/delay in busses from instrument track. I'd like to hear reverb only when midi region is playing on the track source. How to put down reverb when the stream go over the midi region? Thanks!

3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

awesome question.. never considered that one... waiting for @Pinkman or @Cav Emp :winker:

4. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Hmmm... Not sure I understand the question fully. If there's nothing playing through it, wouldn't the reverb be silent anyway? Unless you're talking about a long reverb tail. If you want to silence a reverb tail when no instrument is playing you could try putting a gate on the reverb with a sidechain input from the instrument? Might want to set the attack release stages to be a little more gradual than you'd usually have with a noise gate.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Kloud

Kloud Guest

yeah not sure I do either 100 percent but what about use midi CC to modulate the parameters of the effect if you mean as in automated etc. Could see it with gate etc also like Cav Emp mentioned.
    Doesn't logic have a plugin that does just that? Can't remember the exact name

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yeah sounds like he wants the effect to to terminate just at the same time a midi sequence does...
    cutting off the tail so to speak ?

7. DKB

DKB Producer

Why don't you do a volume fade in automation at the end of the midi region to stop all sound

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Kloud

Kloud Guest

yeah Herr Durr :yes: thought the same as you but couldn't quite work out a couple of bits as in like Cav mentioned.
    Like the question tho like you said.
    Sidechain option would work I reckon & Volume fades etc like DKB etc should work, some cableguys stuff really usefull that way.
    Depends on reverb type I guess and routings etc and with it being midi & other things & I ramblin on lol :unsure:
    Could be juttery if automated etc but I not sure exacto what he mean :dunno:

9. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

That is why mix engineers sometimes use a reverb pass over a mix or track(s) controlling 'mix' knob of the reverb with a fader. Gated reverbs and ducking is also used to stop the reverb effect after certain threshold has reached. Best is to automate the reverb mix or tail parameter assigned to a slider on your controller.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Agreed, that's the obvious solution. If at all possible though I like to set things up so I don't have to draw in automation envelopes. That way if I change things around I don't have to draw new envelopes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

If you render the MIDI with reverb FX as audio you can cut the length of the audio clip down to size and align it with the end of the last MIDI note. That would, in effect, stop the reverb at the right time. This will be an abrupt cut to the reverb, though. This is also kind of a "dumb" solution.
    These guys above are being way more clever with their techniques. Especially @Cav Emp with his sidechained gate because this is uber-flexible and will adapt to changes you might end up making to your arrangement later on.

Use automation like suggested. You could also automate the wet/dry signals.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Well, you could automate the reverb bypass button (on and off, maximum and minimum value) where you want it to be on/off.
    Or automate the volume, as previously stated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Because the question is vague, ill defined, either all of the solutions are incorrect, will work only in an if/when scenerio or all will work fabulously, equally. Schrödinger is alive and well and is posting from beyond just to tease us.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I think he might just not be a native English speaker. But yeah i kinda had to guess what he was getting at

15. I know, I was just feeling wordy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I do this all the time with dubstep wubs to get that metallic sound. I use 2 different methods or a combination of both. I have a separate return for the sound I want to effect like this. I put a gate after the reverb and adjust the threshold so you only hear the verb when the sound is actually playing and the gate will cut off the tail smoothly.
    The other method is I automate the on/off button on the actual return channel or reverb shutting it off after the sounds are done playing. This is how I cut them before a breakdown and the abruptness is okay.

@Cav Emp
    I never thought to trigger it, Ill have to try that next.
    Or trigger the gate threshold with the same sound?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  17. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Sounds a bit like gated reverb

18. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

19. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Holy crap, why haven't anybody created a VST synth with built-in reverb that can do that. I'm definitely stealing the idea for a future plugin!

20. Ampersound

Ampersound Noisemaker

You can do that in every vst which allows you to use the amp adsr for the built in reverbs wetness control (e.g. Serum)

21. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Send your instrument to a bus, insert a reverb on that bus (let's say Aux 1). After reverb insert a noise gate and sidechain the gate with it's own bus (Aux 1). This way, everytime there is incoming audio on Aux 1 the gate will open and let the reverb pass through. When your instrument stops sending audio (midi region ends) the gate will close.

Alternatively, if you want to duck the reverb while the instrument is playing and get just a tail after the playback (or just between notes) you can have the same scenario but replace the gate with a compressor.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List