Stopping playback cuts off VSTi voices. Normal Behavior?

Discussion in 'Live' started by Cav Emp, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Just wondering because I only noticed this recently. If I'm playing on a synth and i start and stop the transport, whatever key I'm holding down is instantly cut off, sometimes so abruptly it causes clicks. Seems like reverbs and delays after the vsti will continue feeding back normally but the release phase of a synth gets killed right away. Did I enable some preference that I'm not aware of or has it always been like this?

I thought maybe it was something like reduce latency when monitoring, but it's not enabled.

edit- windows 10 btw

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Don't know about Live, but in some DAWs there's an option for 'Send MIDI EDIT Note off on stop'. Maybe you activated this by chance?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I have the same problem with FabFilter Pro-R on the Mac. I've tried turning off pre-gen, disabling MIDI for that channel, nothing works. None of my other reverbs behave like that, either, and doing a search online reveals that no one else seems to be having this problem (or are at least not talking about it if they are). As I mix down to two tracks in real time, I guess it's not that big of a problem, so long as I let the last reverb tail fade all the way out before stopping the recorder (which is what I'd do anyway, obviously), but it's tough to audition various presets, as you can't stop the track and listen to the reverb ring out. The only other plug/VI I have MIDI issues with is Papen's Blue II, which jacks up the MIDI volume during recording and playback ... but in that case, you can unlink the volume knob from receiving MIDI.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I kind of doubt it. There aren't a lot of these types of options in Live like there are in Cubase for instance. Plus I suspect that wouldn't account for how it cuts off the release stage of a synth envelope instantly

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that's correct. Besides that I wrongly wrote 'MIDI' instead of 'Note' :facepalm:, there is a command called 'All Sound Off' which indeed mutes all synths immediately, but I have no clue if Live is capable of doing so.