STOP Automatic Updates on Windows 10 (permanently)

Discussion in 'PC' started by audiozuser76, Jan 4, 2021.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've recently tried a Windows 10 LTSC [also called Enterprise] v1809 modded [lite] version from Ghostmod. Impressive work. What does it have to do with Windows updates? Well it comes with it disabled, paused until 2050 actually. It is a really nicely tweaked W10 LTSC release that consumes about 1GB of memory on startup. I can highly recommend it for music production and those concerned about privacy. All the releases from {gen2} are also great, but you have to do all the tweaking yourself.

Add StartIsBack++ to it and you have a really nifty W10 that is actually very usable. :wink:

When my brain rots and my balls fall off I will install that version on my main computer for audio, or may Crom struck me dead. :rofl:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. bassboy303

bassboy303 Member

Thanks very much for this tutorial. It always catches me out accidentally and has caused a great amount of problems in the past

3. TryHard

TryHard Kapellmeister

@audiozuser76 ... Thank you for this :like:

@mitchel ... Please put some clothes on. It's the middle of Winter, you will catch pneumonia and will not be able to play with your new toys. Also, I am running out of clean sick buckets :unsure:

[​IMG]

4. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

Thank you for this detailed guide. I had been manually deleting the temp files for updates every time before I shut the PC down to avoid them (C: Windows/SoftwareDistribution). I had manually turned off Automatic Updates, but it seemed to continue to turn itself back on every time I connected. Now, thanks to you, we can finally be rid of this pesky annoyance.

5. waverider

waverider Rock Star

@audiozuser76
    Thank you for the information. That is good stuff man. I might consider finally getting Windows 10 at some point then.

One last question, I asked about the automatic upgrades. I don't know much about Win10 but I heard that every year or every six months there will be an upgrade (not only an update) to the next Windows 10 revision that you can't stop. It supposedly automatically downloads and installs, and you are simply confronted with it from one moment to the next. Does your tweak also prohibit this? Can I keep using one revision of Win10 without time restriction if I make the tweak that you show in your OP?

6. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

Yes, your Windows will remain all the time the same as you did install it.
    Actually I use the Version 1909 (November 2019).
    I get this DVD-Image when I bought Win 10 Pro en-US version.
    Since then there have been two new versions released:
    Version 2004 (20H1) in May 2020, and Version 20H2 in October 2020.
    I still use the 1909 version unchanged without any update.

7. matewshy

matewshy Noisemaker

Very very much guys

8. saram

saram Ultrasonic

not all heroes wear capes :wink: thanks bro !

9. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

You, my friend are an absolute hero! The fact you took all that time to write that out to help me and everyone else on here is what makes this the best music forum on the planet. I can't thank you enough. It's guys like you that make the world a better place for morons such as myself. Once again, @audiozuser76 thank you very, very much! :mates:

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Excellent guide. Despite being extremely experienced I resisted to learn how to use Group Policies but it's worth it. Because there're a lot more interesting things you can only do with it.
    @audiozuser76 , this is not the one-click tool you think it is. It's a portable non-invasive tool that I highly recommend for everyone, users or not of GPolicy. Actually, Sordum tools in general are awesome.
    Funny timing. I've been using the 20H2 (2009) Ghost spectre version myself since two weeks ago. Writing this using it. It's the best Modded/Lite Windows 10 version I've tried. Haven't checked yet what method uses to disable updates (it's based on a Pro) but very likely it's the same (2050 is kind of forever for an OS).
    That's something I always try to get people to know. It's okay with disabling Cortana if you have a powerful PC. But the default Windows 10 start menu:
    1. It's a resource hog and related to Cortana and rest of bloat-spyware.
    2. It's so tightly integrated with them you can't get rid of Cortana without breaking, at least, the start menu/taskbar search bar. Those use a second (unnecessary) search service tied to Cortana

Add StartIsBack++ if you want to max performance. The latest Windows 10 Ghost installs it automatically BTW

For most people or full Windows iso I keep agreeing, Gen2 versions are the best. Integral versions are also cool.

PS. What's the deal with this fucking H (as in 20H2) naming by Microsoft? Do they want to invent some eighteen-decimal base shit to look cool? Lamers... :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

Maybe the famous H2O Team coding for Microsoft new Windows SX 3?
    .jpg

12. saram

saram Ultrasonic

I'm going to test that version, does it work well for use in DAW and Gaming ? My question is it's stable and I will not have problems related to the audio, for example on an old Lenovo I had to go back to WIN7 due to a problem with the network card with the audio

Thanks !

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Haven't had time to test it extensively for music but so far so good. And it's created by a gamer for gamers so it should work like a charm. In fact the same author show and compare gameplays in a YT channel. No drivers removed.

It even includes a nice tweak console based application, including tweaks for gaming. Although like many others I don't recommend you to update frequently Windows 10.
    There're several versions, get the latest ones (2009 2004) for gaming. You can also choose for every version between compact and superlite installations. I would choose the compact one just in case.

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That would be epic :wink:

15. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Sorry to bother you again, could you please explain why this is happening?
    Capture.JPG

16. Lou Ulfark

Lou Ulfark Producer

17. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

unplug lancable and never be online

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

What for Windows version do you have?

19. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

My 2 cents
    First you will need a bootable linux ( puppy linux) on a usb stick and
    delete the Antimalware and the Cortana executables on the drive that has the Windows 10 Installation.

"Windows update***
    You need several tools to stop the windows updates

1. Gpedit to set the rule for delayed updates ( time based)
    2. login batch or script to set some services to disable upon login
    Windows update
    Windows update Medic Service
    Windows Insider Service
    Background Intelligent Transfer Services ( Hahahah what a name lol)

And another 32 services that have to be set to disabled from the Windows Registry itself as they can't be
    set to disable from the management window or you will get an error

The reason why you need Gpedit and still need the login script is Windows update requires these 3 services

Windows update
    Windows update Medic Service
    Background Intelligent Transfer Services

Even if you use GPedit they are still set to "Trigger Start" and they need to be set to disabled!!!

The login script will set it to disabled for that session, so that is why it needs to be ran before logon or else
    the services will be set again back to "trigger start"

Microsoft and Adobe now have a different culture by it's Indian CEO's and that culture has pushed the Windows OS to being used as a scamming tool to gather and sell as much information as possible to companies selling you off to the highest scammer center.

What do you expect when people who are not doctors are trying to vaccinate billions of people.

I suggest running Windows 10 offline like I do, I have 2 batches on the desktop that either start my real network connection or disable it.
    If you have software that requires network Mac addresses for licencing, I suggest you watch my channel there is good tutorials there on this matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Lou Ulfark

Lou Ulfark Producer