Stolen Dongle w Nexus 2 (need Help)

Discussion in 'Software' started by aboynamedstu, Apr 19, 2014.

1. aboynamedstu

aboynamedstu Newbie

So a few days ago some beautiful people did a smash and grab on my car, grabbed my backpack out of the back which had my elicenser dongle w nexus 2. I just picked up a new dongle and logged into my ReFX account and tried to install my license onto the new dongle and its no go.

Contacted ReFX that informs me there is absolutely NOTHING they can do, no discount on new purchase, not deactivation of old dongle, no sympathy, nothing....

does anyone know anyway around this??? I do have a friend with a working version on his dongle, can you clone a dongle to another?? Nearly ALL my work has the plug and I'm having to push clients projects...

NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.

Thanks for any responses, im very appreciative.

3. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

I am of little help i believe on this topic except for a couple things... Which you can take as moot and boot them or it could effect the future.

1. Contact Refx and if anyone tries to use the dongle you can catch it red-handed and then maybe they would help? (possibility?)
    2. Stop supporting companies who use dongles. Feeding this system allows them to keep funding that system, which obviously is flawed. Just cause someone stole my Native Instruments box (didnt actually happen) doesnt mean i cant use their programs anymore. Its foolishly designed for money hungry thieves and flawed products.
    3. Bounce your projects and start to use and learn another synth (even though nexus is a rompler which is extremely limited and near every EDM person has used every sound already.) Massive is amazing, I LOVE Z3ta, Omnisphere is king but not extremely 'synthy' for all these EDM zombies. Theres many others but those are top three for me.
    4. Go to the streets with dark glasses, a piece of gum, the equivalent 5 dollars of your local currency, and a baseball bat. Someone will answer to one of those things.
    5. Bait your car again, same spot. Wait for them and then smash their teeth in with the closest brick and get some answers.
    6. check craigslist for a dongle. Set to meet up, and then check the serial on it. If its yours report it to the cops, or take it in your own hands
    7.Give up if none of the other 6 can help, pour yourself a drink, get a good smoke and relax. Then get angry later, rinse and repeat 1-6 until your again cycle back to 7.

I know it may not be helpful, but thats what happens when companies dongle their stuff. There is little to no solving the loss.

I highly doubt cloning a dongle exists. If it did i think everyone would have nexus 2 already and no one would pay.

4. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Or you know.... claim it on the car insurance and buy a new one?
    Like it or not, leaving a bag in a car is not the best move if you want to keep it, hell, leaving anything in a car where i live pretty much means u will never see it again after you turn your back.
    Adjust expectations accordingly.

If your friend will let you use his dongle to bounce the client projects to audio, then at least you arent completely screwed.

5. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

:wink: I agree with that point!
    Dongle/iLok/PACE/Eden/Synchrosoft/e-Licenser are just a lot of useless crap. Companies who adopt these should be boycotted. I think there's no realistic way to obtain a new Dongle in a case of robbery…
    …remember that thieves could also enter your home/house when you're not there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Demon

Demon Producer

One thing that is most likely is that the thieves don't even know what it is and they just tossed it. It's claim it as insurance and get a new one as someone suggested, but I also agree that dongle systems are terrible, especially if the manufacturer is not even going to try to help you. That's proof enough for me.

7. Deathklok

Deathklok Member

What if OP made up this whole story so we would tell him how to clone his friend's dongle without sounding like a beggar? Too bad I'll never tell!

P.S. It's impossible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Just warez it and screw ReFX. you already bought the license so don't feel guilty. Or you could just be pisssed about it forever.:)

9. lukasix273

lukasix273 Ultrasonic

This is clearly just a disguised request thread! 10/10.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. muciones

muciones Kapellmeister

Is kinda hard to believe that a legit customer cannot change the dongle if is stolen/broken/destroyed/lost, and re-authorize the legit software.

11. JST

JST Ultrasonic

People are desperate for Nexus. Clearly a thinly guised request.

12. megablox

megablox Ultrasonic

this is probably steven slate

13. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Well.. im also rather sure OP is fishing here. Its no way he cant have his Nexus restored. So Not even a good try ;)

14. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

Y'all saying it's made haven't read horror stories from those who lost their dongles especially with Nexus licenses on it... ReFx just makes you buy everything again. One of my friend had this happen to him and the only thing they offered was a 10% discount on the masterkey.

Plus what's up with asserting with absolute certitude that somebody is lying when you are clearly talking from your a** ? It's a possibility and doubts are normal but also admit that you just don't know. Like nobody ever have had something stolen/lost.

15. tnc

tnc Producer

Sorry, but that is just bollocks. There several REAL cases where dongle actually got lost or stolen (or broken) where you get a new one from Steinberg.

First of all: Companies like Steinberg will transfer dongle licenses to a new one if you have reported the old Dongle stolen to the police. Send the police report to Steinberg and all is 100%. If you do the same with ReFX/Nexus, I doubt they will not co-operate with you.

Secondly: You have home insurance! (or are you living with your parents?). This will cover stolen property.

Thirdly: I think TS is bullshitting, why go to a semi-warez-forum to ask that kind of question?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. sexyman

sexyman Ultrasonic

If its true too bad.
    Smash and grab, whats your area location? So I can avoid going there.

Yep Refx is a bit of an ass when it comes to lost stolen dongle they won't give you new one.
    I read some where on web before, some one lost their dongle and refx told him they will not give free licence but he can buy a replacement nexus licence only and he would not need to re buy his expansions.
    Ask refx if you can buy a nexus licence only then you get to use your already purchased expansions with it to the same refx account.

The USB dongle serial number is coded to the master key file, so the new dongle serial would need to be updated to your refx account so it can get coded to the master key.
    Good luck

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  17. sexyman

sexyman Ultrasonic

Cloning a e-licenser dongle with nexus. can it really be done?
    Would also need to clone the dongle serial number too to get it to work with master key.

Maybe its possible to clone the chip directly eg. direct dump with some sort of AVR programmer then flash to new chips and solder in.
    Thats only if the boot loader blocks has not being fused burn to prevent dumping.
    Then again if flashing a new licenser dongle it will already have the boot loader so no need to flash the boot sector.
    The blocks which stores the licence has read and write privilege so those blocks should be able to dump directly.
    The E licenser chip is an AT90SC 25672RCT (-USB)
    Secure Microcontroller for Smart Cards
    May look into this when time is at hand.
    you have sparked an Idea

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016