Step sequencer with polyphony and on the fly transposition

Discussion in 'Software' started by jennyblack, Apr 23, 2023.

1. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

PS: changed title and description of what I am looking for
    Hi folks, hope you are all doing well.
    So, long story short: I program some sequences to play live in my daw piano roll (Ableton), but I would like to be able to transpose some of these sequences (midi clips in Ableton) using the keys in my midi controller in a live performance (play a note in the controller, and the sequence/midi clip transposes to that key on the fly). They have melodies mixed with chords. Thought about using a polyphonic step sequencer vst with transpose function to do this, but the ones I tried either are monophonic (HY sequencers) or do not respond to midi transposition using the keyboard of a midi controller (Stochas, for instance). Do you know of any that do these two things (along the lines of Xils synths sequencers, in which you can mix melody lines and chords and transpose everything by just hitting a key in your midi controller keyboard?)
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Bump.
    I found a free max4live device (TransposerRT) that does the job (it transposes midi clips on the fly, to the key you are playing), but it sometimes makes the daw lag/hiccup for some seconds - not reliable to use in a live situation).

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  4. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Ok folks, I found what I was looking for: you can transpose midi clips in Ableton on the fly using a midi controller keyboard (I just did not know it was possible). You can atributte a key range to your midi controller, and the clip you choose will transpose to any key you press inside that key range. Just in case anyone needs it, here is how to do it:
    1 - enter midi map mode
    2 - select the clip you want
    3 - press a key to be the root note AND KEEP IT PRESSED (do not release it!!!!)
    4 - While still pressing the key you chose to be the root note (do not release it!!!), press another key to be the lowest range key and one more key to be the highest range key. All the three notes will have to appear written in the clip (example: c - 1 c - 0 c-3) (root, lowest and highest). All these assignments have to be done while holding the very first key you pressed to be the root one.
    5 - leave midi map mode and DONE. Press any key in the range you chose in you midi controller and the assigned midi clip will transpose to that key.

https://ask.audio/articles/ableton-...-live-transposing-clips-using-a-midi-keyboard

5. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Hope it is useful :wink: