Steinway 1969 sustain pedal glitches [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Rhodes, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Hi everyone!

I have some problems with the 8DIO Steinway 1969 piano:

Everything works fine except when I release the sustain pedal... if I hold more than 4 keys when releasing the sus pedal, I get glitches and dropouts.

On all other libraries I have no problems on my system with a buffer of 128 on 44100.

I have tried rising the buffer, moving the library to a different drive, disabling all the effects in kontakt, resaving the library; but always the same happens.
    The CPU usage never goes above 30%... there are some slight spikes when I release the sus pedal, but never above 30%
    HD activity seems normal, like on all other libraries.

Any ideas anyone?

*OT sidenote:
    that library sounds fantastic when You disable all the effects (EQ, Delays and things...) try it if You already haven’t :wink:

3. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Have you tried changing the maximum number of voices ? Usually when notes get cut in Kontakt, that's where the problem is. (Set it to a higher number)

4. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I will try that, but the max voices are already set at 800+ ?!? I doubt that any instrument use so many voices :dunno:

The display shows an average of 200-250 voices being used with my style of playing (if the display is accurate)

5. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

just tried that several times and all is fine here I'm on Yosemite 10.2.2 Mac

6. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

1928 Steinway Legacy may contain some scripting errors i.e Change the Attack or RELEASE in some patches & u get a script warning that says "object ENV_ADHSR not found, index will be invalid.

This normally happens when the modulation envelope name not been changed correctly or sometimes as they like probably in this case write a function to declare the velocity/ADHSR e.t.c

Is a posiblity that it could be something to do with that or nothing at all & the script fine. However it could also be the case with the 1969.

Check it out move the Attack, Release on a few patches & other controls & see if you get a few script warnings.

However like I said could be nothing to do with that but is a possibility. I doubt is buffer sizes if it working fine with other libraries etc but could be. More likely a problem with something else

Would check it out myself but don't use unlocked Kontakt unless I really need/don't have the 1969 library & can't be bothered.

The 8Dio piano libraries pretty well known for horrible pedal noises & there quite a few faults with both I believe.

Not saying it is what it is but could be a posiblity.

Hope it sorts out for u *yes*

Does it do it with all patches or is there just one patch anyway lol?

7. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

no script warnings on the 1969 when fiddling with the gui Attack, Release knobs...
    Honestly, I tried only one patch (the biggest that uses the biggest amount of memory) and enabled every mic, room, keys, reverb, just to evaluate if the library is "compatible" with my machine.

then I tried to disable all the kontakt effects, but again the same issue.

When I get back home, I`ll try a few other patches, but I think there was only one If I remember correctly ?!?

8. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Hd readings sometimes do not mean anything.
    Had you tried a good drive optimization?
    I only use se and raids and it helps a lot :wink:

9. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I always defrag a drive when I put something new on it... but I do not thik it is a drive related problem; all other libs are playing fine.

Now that I`m home, I will turn the PC on and try to fiddle a bit more with that steinway...

btw.
    is there a way to disable completely the pedal noises ? in the GUI there is not an option to do that... You can just bring the volume down

10. Clandestine

Maybe write a new script to disable certain groups etc & insert it into an empty script slot!. Have no idea but can probably be done. Maybe a big job. Don't have the library but will take a look *yes*

11. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Thanks Clandestine, but my scripting skills are very basic... I can add a Reverb knob, a few EQ controls, a Chorus; but that is all.
    When We talk about enabling/disabling groups, I am lost :(

12. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Found the problem... it is the Dampers mic that causes it in my system... very strange :dunno:

anyway, it is a nice piano, but sadly a no go for my system.
    IMHO to many effects, EQs and sh*t are included in the main patch, and they actually kill the "real" tone of the piano... to bad; these are really fine recorded samples...

13. Clandestine

Glad u found the problem Rhodes *yes* I agree with all u have said. Many users turn all the effects etc off & report a great sound like u say. No need really for all the extras etc.

The 8 Dio pianos are nice but imho they rushed them & in the process created a few problems for users.

There are many articles about users with problems ranging from script errors to Midi CC issues that they didn't implement properly.

Is really sad actually coz I think they could have been fantastic pianos.

For me personally Imperfect Samples Extreme about the best on the market (Subjective of course B4 everyone goes mental lol!)

Is hard to find a good piano that u like but when u do I guess it's cool. I wouldn't buy them either as for that price I expect no mistakes etc.

I think they just released some new pianos/Bundles etc etc. Is sad to see a company just going through the motions in order to make as much profit as possible rather than create the best product they can but maybe they being forced into that with new VAT legislation etc who knows :dunno:

I think personally 8 DIO are easily capable of producing a piano of the Highest quality but that takes a lot of time & investment which maybe they don't want to believe is viable. Many other companies seem to be adopting this policy also i.e Spitfire Audio.

Is very sad really but I fear it will become more & more commonplace :sad:

Pianoteq pretty damn good now but fairly pricey.

Anyways glad u found the problem & good luck in the search for that one great piano :wink:

14. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

EDIT:
    The Dampers mic was causing problems on my system
    Not using it, solves the problem

[SOLVED]