Steinberg UR22 > Akai EIE pro?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by spheric, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

No complaints whatsoever. I don't put it on minimum latency - never have done since it has direct monitoring anyway, but I hover around 128 samples on any project that's not enormous and it functions perfectly. If you try to run the installer on Windows 10 it will tell you that your OS is not supported and refuse to run, but if you set it up in compatibility mode it works like a dream.

I bounced back and forth from Win 7 to Win 10 a couple times. I thought I'd made my mind up that Win 10 was too much of a pain in the ass and I would stick to 7. Then I started having some buffer problems on Win 7 at pretty tame latencies (which on my i7 6700k should not happen for any reason) and I switched to 10 one last time as an experiment. Ever since, my interface and driver has been rock solid.

Edit: if you want, I can test it out on minimum latency when I get home. Obviously it's just one man's anecdotal evidence, but if you're going to amend the article, you might as well have all the relevant information you can.

2. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Cav, you are a champ and that would be awesome. I also still have the Blackjack tucked in storage but will install using your recommendations and report back.

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Just switched to minimum latency/64 samples in Live at 48khz. Loaded up a project that has u-he Bazille on every track except the drums. Izotope Trash, The Glue, Presswerk... the works. I get a crackle about once every 20-30 seconds :dunno:

At 128 samples, not a hitch.

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Steinberg know their shit,glad you like it.

5. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I think thats understandable and even forgivable. I still have to do my own testing but I'll be sure to report back with what I come up with.

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

update.. finally got sick of trying to get a guitar signal that was not too hot..even when the HiZ was engaged, and saw a post on Steinberg forum that sounded like the company was actually addressing it for customers..

or so it seemed...
    However when I contacted them.. I got this...

reply... enjoy my butthurt..

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Yes, the ur22 is shit, I found out about that 3 months ago.
    Behringer is the new way to go actually in this price segment

• List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Get a used Mr816 and enjoy the great converters and routing options. Plus if you work with cubase you can select and arm a channel via the interface.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

10. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

The best USB interfaces for tracking guitars are the Audient ones. They have dedicated instrument JFET inputs that sound miles ahead everything else in their price ranges. I have the ID22, but the ID14 and ID4 also have it and they are much cheaper.

Check them out!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Torrao... thanks.. I am :wink:

@Von_Steyr worth a look.. but have a bit of a bad taste at the mo...
    I have more than one beef about Steinberg and its policies... though I won't deny
    Cubendo is robust software...

@Olaf... cool info in the graphic.. thanks for putting it up

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  12. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Herr Durr, take a look at this:

[​IMG]

That is with a guitar with active EMG 57 pickups, which are one of the hottest around. With other interfaces the gain would be at 1/4 or even at zero to avoid clipping. The signals recorded are obviously really loud at this setting, which is great for use with ampsims and keep the noise floor down. I'd probably turn the preamp down a bit for recording clean guitar parts.

The JFET input adds its own share of harmonic distortion (3rd, musical) to the otherwise very clean preamp, it kinda acts as another gain stage. The gain range is amazing both up and downwards.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Torrao very nice.. that's what I call a convincing image... gonna give this one some serious consideration

you hit the nail on the head.. the rub came when trying to use some amp sims, and I just could not get a workable
    result with the UR22, I'm pretty much done with Shhhhhteinberg for a while... ptui

apparently @Cav Emp is pretty satisfied with his Audient as well

14. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

@Herr Durr I actually bought mine based on Cav Emp recommendation since he had the same interface as I did (Mackie Onyx Blackjack, which in fact was very nice for its price). He has the ID4, IIRC.

I bought the ID14 and liked it, but the digital volume controller made crackling noises when adjusting the volume for the headphone output. I loved its sound quality and build though, so I ordered the ID22 as it would give me no problems since it has two independent analog controllers for volume and monitors.

If you don't need two preamps, get the ID4. If you do, get the ID14. I haven't heard of other people complaining about this issue, so I may be a distant case. You can just return it if there's something wrong. The ID14 uses a power supply to use the phantom power in case that concerns you. ID4 is fully USB driven.

15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Torrao right on... I might try out the ID4 :yes: .... not a steep price to dip into the Audient world..

and really only need something convenient to slap on the desk for guitars...so one preamp is fine
    I'll keep the UR22 for other uses.. but at last I have been forced to conclude it just plain sucks for guitars...

16. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@Herr Durr
    Dont listen to them, come to the dark side, steinberg needs you , lol.

17. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah $200 for an Audient is pretty nice. Like Torao said though, it's only got one analog input and one DI, so if you need more than that, get something else.

That said, I didn't have any of the problems with the cheaper iD4 that he had with the iD14. That's a shame but I'm thinking it could be an aberration. I really like that the iD4 has two headphone jacks and a button to mute the monitors. It's basically custom suited to my needs and the preamp is very nice, on par with my ART.

18. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

it's not an aberration. Many audio interfaces have that problem with having noises when turning the volume down or up. That happens because of the pot inside that broke. It is easy to fix by changing it. I also have an Audient iD4 and it's working perfectly, but my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP has that problem.

19. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

No. This is incorrect. The pot is digital, an encoder. It's not your typical fautly pot. In fact, I didn't spread more information since I didn't want to throw shit at Audient since I think their products are a bargain for what they offer. However, I feel the need to clarify when wrong information like this is posted about my case, which you didn't have any experience with.

When I sent the unit to repair, the store tried to reproduce the issue and found out that all the ID14s they had in store had the same issue. They contacted Audient about this and didn't want to respond, until they finally came back with this reply:

"Good afternoon,

Regarding the product Audient ID-14, we wish to inform you that due to some audio codecs used and depending on the audio source, there may be some small clicks when using the gain encoder"

Best wishes"

There you have it. As you can see, Audient admits this is normal on the ID14 yet is nowhere to be found in the description of the product, manual, etc. "Some audio sources" actually meant "all of them", lol. This is completely unacceptable. That's why the store offered me an ID22 in exchange even though the return times had expired. In the end I had to spend a little more (ID22 is just 400€ here), but I have no issues with the ID22 so I don't complain.

To the OP, it seems that the ID4 doesn't have this issue so go for it. If you go for the ID14 just make sure is rock solid in your system or return it otherwise. No problems there.