Steinberg reports OSX Yosemite installation issues

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Evorax, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

[​IMG]

Software tool required if you want to install Cubase

Software incompatibilities with new operating systems are depressingly common, but it's rare for a developer to release a warning statement well before the OS has actually been released.

That's what Steinberg has done, though, announcing that, out of the box, none of its software products can be installed on the Apple's forthcoming OS X Yosemite. There is a workaround - and you shouldn't have any problems if your software is already installed and you then upgrade to Yosemite - but it's still an issue worth keeping in mind.

Steinberg official statement

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH today have released an official statement by marketing director Frank Simmerlein addressing an issue when installing Steinberg software on the forthcoming operating system by Apple

"As an industry leader, Steinberg Media Technologies strive to provide the best customer experience when purchasing and using our products. We therefore have chosen to communicate relevant results that have come to our attention directly with you, results that may be of your concern in the next months.

"In light of the forthcoming operating system OS X Yosemite recently announced by Apple we have unfortunately identified an issue with our software.

"The issue is owing to our current installer as implemented through the entire range of our software products. If you are planning to update to Yosemite this fall or to take part in the Yosemite beta-testing program, please be aware that our software products as are cannot be installed on this operating system. Current Steinberg software installed before updating to OS X Yosemite is not affected.

"The solution we offer is a small software tool currently available as downloadable pre-release version from our website which will enable a seamless installation of our existing software range on the OS X Yosemite operating system.

"Again, we recognize this issue may cause some confusion. I want to emphasize that the issue has duly been addressed and you can continue to use our software products with confidence on the upcoming operating system announced by Apple."

(Source:MusicRadar)

3. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Yeah, can't understand why they're addressing this bug that early.
    It's like "encouraging" users to try their stuff on a dev preview (which standard users "should not" have access to).
    And the waste of time to code a tool to fix installers? Wait the final release or a later dev preview,
    and rebuild the friggin installers to spec. Should be noted that if an installer doesn't work is probably cause
    they use something different from the standard .pkg and .mpkg formats (only pkg format to be sure an installer works on Mac, ViSE and all other is just crap).

Would be ok if they distributed this tool to VST developers for tries looking forward for Yosemite,
    but making available to the public seem a nonsense to me.

4. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I agree with Copy. It's not out yet, so to put out a statement of something we'd figure to be apparent is weird. A couple more months to its release and I know they have to forewarn users prior to the release, but at least wait a little longer.

BTW, Yosemite looks great. Just have to play the waiting game for everything to be compatible.

5. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Maybe Steinberg wanted to alert dumb people who are smart enough to join beta-testing but stupid enough to intend to use their regular "tools" on a beta operating system. :rofl:

6. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I can't disagree with this. Now it makes sense.

7. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

That's exactly it. I used to work as a programmer/tech consultant and people would complained about our software not working when a beta-testing OSes. So whenever there was a new OS around the corner, we would have to spend all day trashing peoples email support tickets and telling them "WE KNOW!!! Please stop emailing us!" Thinking about brings back all the anger and stress. :snuffy:

8. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

And they are probably burned (like almost all soft companies making Apple products) by the previous Mavericks episod : a bunch of ppl jumped JUST when it was just released...because it was free :rofl:

Almost none of them cared about the fact it was an early release, and so a bunch of bugs. I'm jumping NOW on Mavericks, just because i got some specific troubles with Mountain Lion (and i use an hackintosh new build :rofl:). But if not, i would even still run Mountain Lion.

ppl jumping on Yosemite 1.0 for REAL work will get what they ask for : troubles :thumbsup:

We are going to see the usual : "rolling back from yosemite to ..." everywhere on the net :wink:
    And now Apple is going to output a new OSX version every year (instead of 2 years back to Moutian Lion)...it is going to be funny every year :rofl:

I can understand this attitude from younger ppl, but not from older ppl using computers for a long time...it is always the same scheme :dunno: There is no surprise.

9. copylefter

copylefter Producer

You're right Pipotron3000,
    at least you find it funny :rofl:
    I just find it a pita *yes*
    I'm happy (almost) with my ML, I'd hate to be forced again to upgrade to something I just don't need. Who gives a heck if it's free.
    I would pay to use SnowLeo again on my new machine :(