Steinberg promising the future is bright (Removing the dongle)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Stevie Dude, Mar 4, 2021.

1. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

The issue for me has never been dongle or no dongle I really don't care. What I don't like is when a inordinate amount of my cpu/memory/disc space is devoted to DRM. Bloat and wasted cycles add up especially when productivity costs real money per head as it does in multi-node post. This is one of the big advantages closed system proprietary and opensource Linux post muxing and rendering, meh.

Whatever they choose to do, I hope it is more efficient than what they have now.

2. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

There better not be a subscription service... cause Ill never upgrade that again.. I've been with Cubase since 2005. Subscription would be an easy way to lose its customer base....

3. oldskoolproductions

They will lose most of there loyal customers if there is a monthly subscription....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. jojofun

jojofun Ultrasonic

Ya know what... you're right, when you don't have it configured to your work tastes.
    Yes, it doesn't have a lot of sounds, and nicely designed effects.
    But what it does have is...

- Unbeatable amount of customization
    - Native x32/64 bit VST bridge
    - Unrivaled routing possibilities

But the best of all, it has an open-ended work philosophy.
    Many of the features I want from others are already being worked on in various ways
    by the Reaper community. You don't just get forced into a specific way of working in Reaper.
    You create your own workflow.

That to many is a bit too much. But when I go an mess with any other DAW just for a feature,
    I quickly feel contained in a box. The only negative feeling I get with Reaper is the guilt
    of being lazy and not designing or paying someone to make the stuff I want.

So, yeah, the other DAWs become more appealing to me every now and then. But I find myself right
    back at Reaper, where my canvas is free and my workflow goes as far as I define it.

Examples:

- I was all hyped about Ableton's new "Fold to Scale" functionality, but shux... It
    doesn't even snap existing midi notes to scale. Wow!

- Studio One, Ableton, etc.... ooh they're comping now. Well, Reaper been comping for years.

5. oldskoolproductions

I've been with them since 2005... updating every year.. But I wont pay a monthly fee....

6. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

This is what makes me laugh, given that Adobe, Nuke and most CGI programs are online auth / licence servers, but they are pretty much all defeated, I wonder why it’s so difficult for audio apps??

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. CMAudioz

CMAudioz Member

Tbh, i think they mentioned it 2 years ago that they were looking at alternative solutions. The dongle never bothered me, since it was plugged in many years ago it's not been removed, but I understand the problem for those moving about, mobile recording.
    The trend these days seems to go down the subscription road, which I really hope it doesn't happen, well, they can offer it if they want, like Reason Studios, but not force users onto it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Screw that Ass-Pirator lame title.
    You should just simply put "Steinberg to ditch the bitch, how are your dongles doing today?"

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Whynotboth.gif :rofl:

10. ArticStorm

Reaper has very weak stock plugins, the workflow i dont like it. native vst bridge i give it to you.

I hate the interface, i get nothing done with it. And i do get the feeling of an apartment in siberia with it.
    In a way, you can write as much about how good and how cheap reaper is, i just feels not like home for me, not organic to work with and a lot of people i guess feel the same.

Workflow goes like this in Ableton: drop plugin in Arrangement view, create empty 8bar midi clip, start coming up with something.
    Dunno what i want/could simplify with Reaper there? I dont need to unravel my python knowledge to create something. If wanted to code would do something else ...

Like i wrote Cubase ARA2 tech would be something very interesting for me.

That said, fine stick with Reaper and be happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Yeah, the GUI is so 90s and it is understandable people will dismiss it for that sole reason.

I finally found a skin that I totally like and stick with it.

12. anon69

anon69 Producer

can I just come into this thread to say, REAPER FANBOYS are the most obnoxious and loud fanboys ive ever heard! No one in ableton, studio one, protools, or cubase even comes CLOSE! Heres a favorite joke of mine:

How do you know someone's a reaper user? Answer: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

These dudes pop up into literally every thread NOT RELATED AT ALL to reaper. You find this shit in forums too. The thread might be about reason, pro tools, or like Cubase, and some reaper kiddo always comes up "wElP ReApEr DoEs sO anD sO". Jesus fucken christ, i've never seen an obnoxious fanbase doing things such as this. Are you guys this loud because you're compensating for something or inferiority? No one on ableton, logic, or the like does this shit.

Ya'll really pop the fuck out of nowhere on threads that have nothing to do with reaper everytime. Ok, back to thread topic. I just hope they dont fall down the slippery slope of subscription like the crap Avid pulls.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Don't know if it's available in your area, but PayPal offers PayPal Key, basically a credit card you can use online. Again, if it's available in your area.

15. Mud Jones

Mud Jones Platinum Record

I would be tempted to go back to Cubase if they get rid of the dongle, it would be cool to flesh out some sillyness on my iPhone or iPad using Cubasis and have that be able to open in Cubase. could use stock instruments and fx and swap them out on the computer. Plus I would love to get back to the best sequencer in the history of sequencers. I didn't leave because of the dongle I left for ARA when it didn't look like cubase was going to support it due to variaudio etc

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. I feel the same. I used to try and mix stems in Reaper because it handles Acustica plugins more efficiently but it became clear to me I'd have to learn a new app to get anything done.
    The moral of the story is there's only one best DAW and it's your own DAW, the one you use every day. Doesn't matter if it's Live or Cubase or Logic. Doesn't matter if it's on Mac or PC.
    Unless you're using Reason on a laptop, then I pity you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Why is that ?

18. ArticStorm

I use reason rack plugin inside Ableton :rofl:it actual works fine, i like it, but using reason standalone, its impossible for me.

yeah i agree with you.
    Ahh sasha, i guess ..., because its frustrating to handle i think - on a laptop?

19. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

My guess is always online register to steinberg cloud and then all of a sudden internet cuts down in a middle of an amazing tracking and CB shuts down beacuse you are not registered yippiee!!

20. Because at my age I'd need a magnifying glass to read the labels on the mixer that takes three minutes to scroll from bottom to top. And that's on a 27" monitor.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List