Steinberg - no more 32bit support in the future!

Discussion in 'Software News' started by phloopy, Nov 4, 2017.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

No warning to customers first but just abandon the 32bit versions. I´m not impressed.

Wavelab Pro 9.5.PNG
    The same goes for a lot of their other products.

3. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

phloopy they have said it serveral times and also on product description that new products going 64bit also . congrats to find that out just from their product downloader .

tbh its time for that . and alot of other developer doing this as well .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

They have been saying it for some time now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I must have overlooked that :dunno::sad:

6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Oh man, oh god, oh man!

7. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    Look, I get that people don't always have the money to buy current technology, but you have to understand companies cannot keep supporting technology 10+ years out of date. 64 bit support is not just about addressing large amounts of ram, it's about better security - ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization), security about how drivers access the hardware, among other important features. There are many ways to streamline the current OS's (ie. remove junk processes) and most is up to the user, not the company since you fall in a particular niche that they don't sell to.

Simply put, if you want shiny new things, don't expect to run them on old hardware :_)

8. Weasel

Weasel Ultrasonic

Better security in an offline application? Security exploits happen from bad code, and 64 bit has a host of its own: https://blog.acolyer.org/2016/11/17...ies-induced-by-migrating-to-64-bit-platforms/. It doesn't matter for DAWs and audio software anyway. 64 bit apps also use more memory and cache (just because the theoretical addressing space limit is high doesn't mean your actual RAM is).

Did you know some people use 32 bit plugins and might prefer to not bridge them or would bridge the few x64 ones they use in a (older) project? Just because your OS is 64 bit doesn't mean you should run 64 bit apps. But for DAWs I find it especially more important because of plugins, people should have the right to choose whether they want to run it in 32 or 64 bit (depending on what plugins/project they want to use).

But Steinberg isn't only about 32/64, they even want you to use W10 on some of their latest apps, no choice whatsoever for the user, that's the kind of company it is. And 32 bit DAWs work just fine on 64 bit OS (just like apps made for W7 work on W10), stop assuming people must be running 64 bit software just cause their OS is x64 for crying out loud.

9. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Warning was about year ago.

10. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

11. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

Read the Original Pentium 36 bit instructions.

The computer industry is one of the most corrupted industries in the world.

12. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

What? The computer industry is one of the most corrupted industries in the world? I thought it was the president of my country!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Yup.
    The only industries more corrupt are the governmental ones.

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Steinberg is just following the elon musk AI daw compliance, making sure 32bit plugins dont take over the world. Steinberg is good people, they care for us and nature.

15. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I can't remember the last time i used 32bit plugins, what was it 9 years ago? lol