Steinberg Magneto

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Von_Steyr, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Its a tape/saturation plugin, comes with cubase pro, dont know about other versions but this thing is a beast.
    It can do wonders on bass and drums.
    I did try it a long time ago, but didn`t take enough time to really listen, plus my ears weren`t that good at listening yet.
    It can rival anything slate or waves offers, hell this thing goes even further imo.
    I started hitting the cpu/asio barrier and then when this happens i usually move to native plugins and then i re-discovered this champ.
    Wow, i couldnt believe what it did to a synth bass, it took me 5min to realize its magneto and nothing else, i was looking at other plugin fx if i mistakenly changed some parameters.
    Suddenly i was hearing this mean, deep saturated bass that i couldnt achieve with any other plugins, it added depth as well.
    I can imagine this would kill on a RAP production, on kick drum and bass.

You can use it as a standalone or on a channel strip as i do.
    Check it out if you can.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

I agree! Even the old version is stil a beast. Check out quadrafuzz as well, can't get any better distortion atm.

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Will do.
    Been neglecting cubendo plugins too much.
    Man, magneto is a pure winner.

5. vladdrac

vladdrac Kapellmeister

Couldn't agree more! I use Magneto all the time. Cubase stock plugins got a lot better, people tend to overlook them and go with Slate or Waves, but they get the job done, are super light on the cpu and well integrated in the DAW. Winner indeed!

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Yes Magneto is good they updated the plugins in version 7.5 or 8. I can not remember.

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

This thing is too good to be for free, lol.
    It adds that special "pro" layer, glue, that is hard to achieve with other plugins or it would take at least a few other plugins to achieve similar results.
    And talk about what it does to the low frequencies, polishes the mids and naturally enhances/saturates low frequencies like nothing else and it adds weight as well.
    We are talking crazy good coding/engineering.
    I would probably have to use Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter, Satin and some other plugins to achieve similar results.

8. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

"What took you so long?"

"I had to go to the Rolls Royce agency. I had to steal a spare magneto."

(Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk în "The Great Race" - 1965)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. vladdrac

vladdrac Kapellmeister

Yeah, that makes me happy to read! I usually keep quiet regarding stock plugins because you know, "if ain't expensive, it ain't good" lol I always tell my coworkers that if you can't do most jobs using Cubase alone, maybe you need to go back to the basics and rethink how you work.

If only Steinberg would bundle the Portico series... maybe Cubase 10? :mates:

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I think there is a V.R version if you havent tested them yet and i think i have to re-test them as well.

11. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

I remember it from Cubase VST 4 or 5, mid 90s
    It was good, I wonder how they developed it

12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Thanks for the tip. I haven't really spent any time messing with magneto. I do like quadrafuzz a lot. What a bad ass multi effect that is...

Maybe I can actually get some use out of the SB channel strip for a change

13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I think you can benefit massively from Magneto on your rap tracks, to get that mean deep bass and kick sounds.

14. Magneto is neato.

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Or you can use Satin...

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah unfortunately I still haven't really done any producing in Cubase. Messed around with some instruments here and there but I'm so adjusted to the Live + Push 2 workflow, anything else feels like missing a limb. But maybe when I stem everything out I'll run it on some bass and drum tracks and A/B with Satin. There's no disputing u-he, but of course Satin is a highly configurable plugin and you're counting on my expertise of tape sonics, which of course is none. The EQ curve at the bottom is a massive help tho

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Its quite different really and uses a lot less resources than Satin.