Steinberg HALion

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by zpaces, Apr 18, 2019.

1. zpaces

zpaces Producer

So I was discussing with a friend about software sampler, especially about HALion.
    I told him KONTAKT is the industry standard for software samplers now. He was like "Yea, using HALion is like using a BETAMAX Recorder."

This could be true. Any HALion users out there? I have no clue about any advantages of HALion towards KONTAKT.

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

try it :) I loved the previos Halion but the latest's GUI is overkill imo

4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

5. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Your friend is pretty much on the ball. Halion is a fantastic sampler, its simpler to use and is way more powerful than Kontakt, but like Betamax no one makes any serious content for it, probably because its only now its fully opening up to developers. I picked up both in half price sales over the years and I tend to use Kontakt for 3rd party sample libraries but, when I want to mess around with a sound I find it far easier to fire up a copy of Halion and play around with it than deal with Kontakt’s rather restrictive GUI. Halion also has heaps of arppegios, phrases and complex modulation options without going anywhere near a script and the basic factory content is better IMHO, but it can't compete if you buy Kontakt in a Komplete Bundle.

If the price is right and you use Cubase and enjoy messing around with sound, then Halion is a lot of fun and very, very powerful but if you want to run loads of big 3rd party sample library’s then Kontakt is streets ahead.