Steinberg discontinues support for VST2 plug-ins

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deceptive, Jan 20, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The most popular swear words in 2021 were rank 1.) Fuck you and 2nd place) Asshole,
    unfortunately the evolution from semi-monkey to modern man is not finished yet.
    Steinberg is neither flexible nor do they keep the customers happy, they lose a lot of customers to the competition, what does the competition do better than Steinberg ? Other companies try to implement what would make users buy their products, some succeed and some don't.
    This is very naive and not true. Of course they have to update buggy products to make them work properly. Also, with operating systems, things change all the time and without updates you are at a disadvantage. Who must assert themselves against the constant competition, on the other hand they disappear from the market, must be upgedatet, but they lose your users, if The support does not work well.

Word gets around quickly on the Internet who offers poor support. Users who want to buy a DAW read the reviews and ratings before making their purchase decision.

2. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Only almost..... Why?

I totally agree @LordSin VST3 works nicely on Win10.
    It took me some time to go from Win7 to Win10 and I´ll never look back unless for nostalgia ..... Win7 WAS a great OS.

Really?..... do you have any experience with Win10 at all? If you have please let us know why it´s such a pile of shite compaired to Win7.. If not its just a silly statement as I see it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Welcome to the Windows 7 fan club, I also have one, runs great. We write the year 2077, Windows 7 runs and runs and runs...!

Windows 7 Fan Club | Fansite with photos, videos, and more >> www.fanpop.com/clubs/windows-7

4. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Move on to where? To less is more? I will pay the same money as you, do not call me obsolete or old fashioned.
    For the money i pay i want at least the same amount of options not less, even if i load one Vst2 plugin per year, i dont want no problems when i do.

5. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Yes, i know, i meant latest version.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  6. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I hear what you are saying, though in fairness, VST 2 works fine and does the job of an identical VST 3 version of itself - I did read what you said so definitely more functionality, ARA compatibility and more flexibility for adaptability to change I would agree with completely. Better? If the new version in VST 3 offers more than its predecessor (the updated version i.e.) - Then I would say definitely improved.
    Better? .... My take is that unless it does something it was already doing better than it used to - I find this word too flexible. I know, it is semantics, but unless what it was already doing is massively improved, it describes why so many people use this word annoyingly and almost misleading in advertising (you also hinted at this).

7. refix

refix Platinum Record

sure, i understand. these written languages we are attempting to communicate with are as flexible and ever evolving as C/C++.

however, it is not really what we are thinking that is the issue. it is the what the developers need for their purpose, i can only assume that it fulfills their needs/wants. there is definitely some cross-purposes between what users need and what developers need. that is what this thread explores -- we with our speculation, them with their certainty.

windows XP: GOOD

vista, 7, 10, 11, os9, os10, unix, linux, protools, reaper, studio one, bitwig, ableton, vst2/3, dx, lx, dc, me, anything other than me: BAD

it is written. let no one deny.

EDIT: apologies, i misspoke. os9: GOOD (despite it catastrophically failing quite often, and its general lack of functionality)

EDIT: no. os9: BAD.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

:rofl::rofl:
    Okayyy... so Windows XP and its breed should rule the world? -ish?

9. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

I always thought this new vs old OS, is juvenile.
    All you need is a basic daw a good idea and some mixing skills, the OS is just there working in the background, no one ever asks producers what OS was involved writing that song.
    Chromeo did four albums on a 1997 pentium II and Cakewalk from 97. Let that sink in.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  10. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

11. softice

softice Producer

lkj

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. demberto

demberto Rock Star

The good news for win7 people is that its actually very hard to break compatibility, especially when it comes to audio related apps. So, tommorow if company X says X© Y™ requires Win10, it most likely doesn't.
    Most of the runtime stuff used by Y™ is actually supported in 7, although you will need to manually install those. Look at most of the stuff MS makes these days, Teams, Edge, Visual studio, VS Code. Still works on Win7.
    However a piece of bad news for Win7 people is that Chromium and hence all its brothers, Edge, Chome etc. will not be getting updates. Even then I suspect that nothing Windows 10 specific is getting used in Chromium code that cannot be used at all in Win7. After all, chromium is plain old Win32.
    If some software doesn't run on 7, making it run can be as simple as simply bypassing OS version checks. However, I believe its not a good idea to stay on 7. Top reason - It isn't optimised for modern CPUs and driver updates won't fix it.

13. refix

refix Platinum Record

it already does. you wokes will just never understand.

*taps the sign* - "let no one deny"

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Me a woke? I'm afraid I'm just an old fuck. Wait no. A boomer fuck is called now I think :rofl:
    My avatar dates back to 2006, my nick to around 1999-2001...

15. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic

steinberg never get tired of ruin thier daw. Jesus!
    Sometimes i think they will hire a new team and no. they just try to make it the biggest peace of shit on every new update

16. refix

refix Platinum Record

uggh... the worst kind of woke. you are probably a TOS-ite or some sort of PDP-11 agnostic. the panoply of lesser os'es.

TOS, PDP-11: BAD

windows XP: TRANSCENDENTALLY SUBLIME

it is written. what the gods have given, let no one rent asunder.

17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

the fuck is that? Drugs? :rofl:

On a side note: VAMOS RAFA!! :wink::beg::drunks::metal:

18. thepie

thepie Ultrasonic

Guys you can disagree with me all you want. W10 is shit. Windows 7 is the best OS they have made since XP {better actually}. Quicker, Lighter. Better for Audio work, better for video work. Better for the entire system. It's not an opinion it's fact.

19. thepie

thepie Ultrasonic

I assure you the Juvenile bit is Newbies trying to convince the more experienced people they know better. By your statement i guess every tom dick and harry is a professional mixing engineer / producer and composer all rolled into one as long as they have a teenage engineering pocket synth and a dictaphone to record it on. Yeah some band can get famous doing that but that doesn't make them professionals in the industry. Mixing takes decades of craft so when a shit OS comes around and fucks with your process you know about it. .

20. Peter Bomhof

Peter Bomhof Noisemaker

Will this the End of cubase??:(