Steinberg discontinues support for VST2 plug-ins

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deceptive, Jan 20, 2022.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I understood it that way pretty much - a Software Development Kit (SDK) is fairly self-explanatory.
    As for the phasing out, that can be read many ways. If they release Cubase 13/14 around then and it will not accept vst2's, that will tell the story. I cannot see any immediate causes for concern to be honest. I estimate 2025 before any real changes across all DAW's are seen.

2. refix

refix Platinum Record

it is unfortunate that the facts do little to illuminate the intent, which seems to be most in question. the way some of these conglomerate companies are structured these days, maybe steinberg doesn't even know. might even just be corporate consultants or lawyers advising to protect IP that nobody knows if they even need anymore, or they don't want to pay anyone to restructure the licensing by just sort of rolling it over and hoping no one will notice. do the people who made this decision even know what VST is? gah! i just added further speculation. sorry about that.

3. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

How people who think this is progress view themselves ;

VST2+VST3 i suck so much, god i wish someone would make a progress because old VST2 is interfering with my VST3 plugins, so much fog in this mix, i will never make it.

VST3 only, finally, clarity, my time is here, i can now make it, thank you Steinberg this was the last step to success. This is real progress.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

My DAW still supports DX plugins which are as outdated as they can be. I see no reason why it shouldn't support VST2 for the next ten years or more.
    It would be funny* if in 2035 Steinberg are the only company that no longer supported VST2 while all others still do. [​IMG]

* of course this wouldn't be funny at all for Steinberg users, rather annoying AF and I feel with them

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

I see another wrapper coming : VST2 to VST3
    Even less stability and practical use.
    Thanks !

We already had that with x86 to x64.
    But devs don't want to loose their time with support ... so you will loose yours instead :rofl:

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Futher speculations are allowded here :yes::winker: no worries.

But I honestly have a little hard time seeing what the transition from VST2 to VST3 has to do with IP and licenses, but that's probably just me.

I can (in a completely different context) easily agree that major IT companies many hidden dubious decisions on behalf of their customers are reprehensible and should be severely punished, but that is in my opinion a completely different talk.

7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

If this happened, the music industry would be seeing a a true DAW oxymoron because they invented the fricking VST :hahaha:

EDIT: Existing Cubase 11 owners will still have a fully functional Cubase 11 with the dongle so if they keep it, even in ten years, VST's will be valid. MTC/SMPTE Slave systems are pretty easy to setup..you get my idea in line with yours... i.e. they can have one with current whatever DAW and the second a slave (Cubase 11) has all VST2's...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Laersen

Laersen Member

It's only in 24 months !!! I hope than toontrack and Native Instru will be on VST3 !! For holds plugins like B3 and B4 II of Native ????? By By ???

9. refix

refix Platinum Record

yes, i agree, the transition to VST3 was about functionality. i have no doubt about that. irregardless of how clunky the transition appears to be.

it seems like the VST2 situation could be somewhat resolved by releasing IP and going with some sort of open source agreement for the format, which they seem unwilling to do for whatever reasons. i was only speculating about that really. it would be a good will gesture by the company towards the community that supported the format for so many years. it could also smooth over the public relations optics. technical departments are sometimes notoriously bad at that sort of stuff. maybe they view the core technology as one lineage.

some companies are very touchy about releasing any internal information, which is understandable because mishandled public relations can easily turn around and bite you in the arse -- especially in this technical sphere. the larger the firm the stricter the communications policy -- everything has to be sufficiently ambiguous.

10. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

Allready exists! Link is following...

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

12. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Lol, so now we will have to resort to using wrappers because in digital, where there are endless possibilities, they tell us that a code of a few kilobytes is too much of a burden for the DAW.
    What a fucked up world.

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The old game:

Microsoft, for example, is changing the user environment to the detriment of many users. A private user writes an executable script and it gets downloaded and applied millions of times. Microsoft, in the next forced update, undoes the user's efforts by disabling it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. LoveToGig

LoveToGig Producer

Thank you.

Too bad for the dislikes, though - I only write my own experience. Perhaps somebody has better experience with VST3 :)

Cheers!

15. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

On a general level, since November 2019, more people have time on their hands than known since the 1930s. While it looked like it was going to a controlled environment in DAW's, it is almost echoing the state of affairs everywhere else - so yes I agree - no argument.

16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

That's been my experience so far as well. I can't remember any VST3 that offers better features than the VST2 version. That some VST3 do not work properly is also a fact:

I think it might be because Steinberg is pushing so hard to finally offer VST3 now. The devs then compile a not really well reworked code that is neither properly tested nor optimized just to be able to offer VST3.
    It would even be conceivable that devs internally just use a wrapper (which sometimes doesn't work so perfectly).

Maybe Steinberg should revise their SDK or better support the devs in using new features.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, that's about JUCE's own wrapper over the VST3 SDK to make way easier to use it. It's like a translator to programmers that allows them to write English instead of Chinese Mandarin. But it's still about VST3.
    About this, we have the already almost-must-have StartIsBack (Windows 8-10) new version.
    For Win11 is called StartAllBack. Even our beloved R2R team among others vaccinated it recently. This should be a 100% must-have for Windows 11.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I think it's great @Xupito that you also emphasize that we do not leave the big companies the Internet and our operating system their arbitrariness without a fight.

19. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Yes but in a way it needs to be if they are going to chuck VST2 out. One poster made note that the VST2 version worked fine but his VST3 the programmer made had issues. So I figure people are trying to work out some kind of translation/wrapper/converter or app that will facilitate others to still use VST2 if clay turns to shit.

• List
  20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

That would even make it possible to incorporate the wrapper into the VST code to make it being a VST3 with a simple Bit Switch and a rename from .DLL to VST3 :rofl:
    This kind of mimicry would, of course, run completely counter to Steinberg's intentions because the "better" VST3 functions won't never emerge.

• Like Like x 1
    • List