Steinberg discontinues support for VST2 plug-ins

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deceptive, Jan 20, 2022.

1. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

The only real reason is to force developers to use VST3.
    The explanation that VST2 makes Steinberg hosts unstable is nonsense. That this is not true is proven every day by the use of Cubase with VST2 plugins. It doesn't crash anything. Steinberg is welcome to stop further developing the code within the hosts. But there is no technical justification whatsoever for why backward compatibility with VST2 would have to be discontinued. (this annot be compared with the transition from 32 to 64 bit)

This is pure arbitrariness on Steinberg's part.

You are wrong. Read Steinberg's statement in OP post last line link*:
    "Moreover, within the next 24 months, Steinberg's host applications and plug-ins across macOS and Windows will offer VST 3 compatibility only."

There is also no question that developers should now immediately program their plugins against VST3.
    I always use VST3 plugins when VST2 and VST3 are offered at the same time. In this respect I am not against innovation at all.

As an end user I just refuse to be used as a weapon against the developers (* "...to contact the corresponding plug-in developers for details on supporting VST 3.").
    And against the fact that my great working but not further developed VST2 plugins are simply switched off.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

I am a cubase user. This is called constructive criticism.
    Engine/Cpu wise, nothing has changed since 2015 with Cubase but it could. All the effort was put into cosmetic and some functional changes, but not much where it really counts, performance.

3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

The problem in this discussion here is that it has not yet been properly worked out what it is really all about. That is why we are partly talking past each other.
    Maybe we can agree on the following points:

- VST3 is much better as an API than VST2 and will be more stable in the future even the stabilitxy of the host will gain.
    - Steinberg has announced early on that VST2 will not be used in the future
    - The developers have to a large extent not reacted to this and deliver still VST2 plugins, in some cases even exclusively.
    - Currently, even the developers who program against VST3 do not use the full range of the new API.
    Advantages of VST3 are therefore hardly recognizable for the end user at present.
    - This situation is not desirable for further development. Not for Steinberg, not for Endusers.

D'accord. And I find it acceptable that Steinberg doesn't want the Devs to use an outdated API any longer. They have the right to put pressure on Devs according to their Dev license of VST2.

But that is not the problem.

The problem as I see it is according to this Article * in the OP:
    - that Steinberg threatens us - the end users - to disable a part of the program we paid for - namely the compatibility to VST2 - although no technical reasons require this. The interface is defined, the interface works and no additional effort is required to keep it that way.
    - Steinberg wants us - the end users - to put pressure on the developers to program their plugins against VST3.

This way Steinbergs transfers an obligation that is theirs to us. And that is whats not ok. Steinberg has to put pressure on the Devs not on us.

I won't let that happen to me and I won't update in the future until Steinberg refrains from this policy or all plugins I use are translated to VST3.

*) https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/4409561018258

It seems that Steinberg has neglected to issue terms and conditions for VST2, so that devs do not have to adhere to them. For the newer VST3 format, however, terms & conditions are issued, which should partially also regulate the use of VST2. This is problematic to say the least. :no:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508845&start=285

4. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Welp, never upgrading again

5. Gyorgy Ligeti

Gyorgy Ligeti Platinum Record

I know it's weird to say, and I thought I'd never say that, but I'm very happy to use AAX for once hahaha.:rofl:

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

To clarify a bit, some things I know (almost) for sure. Corrections are welcome as long they don't come from ass-talking

Legally speaking:
    1. Steinberg stopped releasing the VST2 SDK several years ago (*). Developers had to ask them personally a license
    2. Now Steinberg is discontinuing VST2. It won't give VST2 SDK licenses at all. All the developers that doesn't already have one won't be able to make VST2 plugins
    3. Existing VST2 licensed developers can continue to make VST2 plugins/DAWs at will and they will
    4. Steinberg will try to force the matter making Cubase the first DAW that doesn't support VST2.

Technically speaking, from the developers POV:
    1. Since years ago (*) the VST2 SDK was just a tiny wrapper over the VST3 one.
    2. VST3 features are good
    3. VST3 implementation is bad. Overly-complicated. And I repeat the example: lot of new MIDI features added but you can't compile a single MIDI to MIDI instrument unless you patch your way out yourself
    4. Since it's so messy, adoption was extremely slow. Again, think of XP->Vista transition or Win7->Win10. That's the key of VST2 surviving that long.

Now a couple of side notes of the VST3 mess. Remember, for a plugin developer:
    - JUCE devs probably threw a wild a party when they saw the mess, made them cash several times more money :rofl:
    - Long time ago whe VST3 was released the Reaper devs were pretty pissed off with the VST3 SDK. As many know, you can say a lot of things about Reaper but they're very talented coders and they support almost every format (even still DirectX plugins)

Man, that was tiring and I'm lazy. Where's my beer? And my heater..!! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Odd thing with this thread is that a lot of ppl do not pay attention to facts but respond to their emotions.

I dont see VST3 as a war against VST2 its just another step forward.

My guess is there will be/could be a solution like the Jbridge for ppl who insist using VST2.

Btw..... most major devs already release in VST3.

That´s all ;-)

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, the war is in the developers side.

There're several already.
    :lmao:

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Does Studio One support VST plugins? (not the VST2 or VST3)
    Yes. Provided that you are using 64-bit versions. And that they are vst 2.4 and above.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Is it really that?
    For example if your child or friend plays an online game and the company decides to discontinue support and other than bugs or patch fixes, saying "no support as of Date X" is that a threat?
    It is perspective how this is viewed and their wording didn't exactly win anyone over. I see it as wording that should have been better thought out. I think their intent/wish is to move forward more than anything else. They need better P.R people that is a definite.

Cosmetics aside, it can still handle shitloads of plugins without sneezing using the FLS in Win 10 and the functionality has not changed. I agree that there are more aesthetics and they actually did improve in updates post 2015 on the multi-processing usage and hyper-threading which is why it can record 128 tracks in stereo simultaneously (RAM and CPU permitting - it won't do it on 8GB RAM and an old i3).

Some good points have been made and that being while Steinberg may well cease public support for VST2 I agree that it will be years later before it is completely phased out.
    There is a 32lives for MAC and jbridge for PC for 32biit on 64bit platforms. I would be amazed if someone does not make a VST3 wrapper for VST2's after they are phased out.

11. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

The day after the announcement that VST2 is discontinued, Yamaha (who own Steinberg, remember), announced the first 'R series' audio interface which natively runs VST3-only plugins via the VST Rack Pro software.

This is likely not coincidental.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

:cheers: :drunks:

13. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

On the same day Roland and Behringer announce a revolutionary joint project, an audio interface that runs all UAD VST2 plugins for free via the the internal chip :woot:

14. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

well yea i mean obviously Steinberg themselves would discontinue it because they have the motive to do so...
    but no other DAW made an official statement regarding this, so i believe my statement stay correct:
    "i dont think this means that DAW's will stop supporting VST2"

sure maybe 1 DAW... but most DAW's so far are safe from this move AFAWK
    no need to panic just yet bois, unless you use Steinberg hosts/DAWs :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Wood never worries, it goes against it's grain.

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

VST3 SDK Tutorial: Create your own VST3 Synth plug-in

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  17. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

No, you are right. I got a bit carried away with my indignation there. :rofl:
    In particular, my concern with VEP runnability was nonsense, since VEP very well exists as VST3, but does not support VST3 itself.
    In a way... If you'd say most DAWs or DAWs other than Cubase, Nuendo... it would be perfect. :)
    ATM. Did you read the link in my second post how Steinberg tries to combine the license for VST3 with the attemt to forbid the Devs the usage of VST2. :dunno: Is that a dirty trick ... https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508845&start=285

• List
  18. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Are you referring to this: 'Any and all prior VST 3 Plug-In SDK Agreements between Steinberg and the Licensee shall be automatically terminated by signing this Agreement.'?
    This hardly won't affect DAW developers, right? Only plugin devs, at least as far as I understand it.

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You should expect the worst and be well prepared. Cakewalk's BitBridge technology allows you to use 32-bit VST effects

Cakewalk by BandLab in short test: free DAW with pro features

For older generations, Cakewalk Sonar is a common term, after all, the software was one of the important professional DAWs for Windows. Sadly, following its acquisition by Gibson, the DAW was dropped. Now BandLab, the company of a billionaire's son, has acquired the rights and, relatively surprisingly, offers the DAW in the full Platinum version completely free of charge. DAW beginners or switchers can simply download the software after registering. www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

20. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

this is more or less unreleated to the original, current "problem".

it only means that you can not publish v2 plug-is if you havent registered before 2018. you can still publish them if you are working for longer with the SDK and new people you can still build them and use them at home.

what they did now is that they make it impossible that someone who wants to use a copy of a plug-ins which only exists as VST2, can not use it any longer the latest host programs from steinberg.

total fail if you ask me, because it is basically a disadvantage for their own product.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List