Steinberg Built-In ASIO Driver VS Generic Lower Latency ASIO Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by Triphammer, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

Several manufacturers use rebranded Ploytech drivers. I don't remember all that I've run across
    but I recently acquired a MidiPlus AudioLink which used the Ploytech driver rebranded as
    a Midi-Plus driver. And you've got it a bit backwards. Yes, the Ploytech driver works with
    specific chipsets such as Burr-Brown. Manufacturers that want to make and sell cheap junk
    interfaces use these chipsets so that they can then license, use and rebrand the Ploytech driver.
    Thus giving unwary consumers the illusion that they are coding their own drivers. It's a cheap
    trick to make a fast buck. Personally, I've found the Ploytech driver to be inferior to any and
    all other ASIO drivers except, perhaps, ASIO4All and ASIOWASAPI. But, hey, if it works for you
    I'm happy for you.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Thanks for the explanation.
    For inferior you mean higher latency?
    And summing up, in your opinion, generic ASIO drivers are all the same?

3. Utada Hikaru

Utada Hikaru Producer

From my experience they perform the same, Steinberg being a little bit better for their automatic rate setting and more device compatibility.
    However, ASIO4ALL still is better in term of latency, but it works in exclusive mode only (you can't play any other sound than the audio of your DAW).
    If you ever get a dedicated audio card interface then you will be able to use its own ASIO driver that you can then also use in conjunction with Voicemeeter for example, so then you will be able to use an ASIO driver for all your PC programs (that's how I am currently working).

4. Bobbarya

Bobbarya Noisemaker

5. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

I did not say that nor mean to infer it. There are often differences to be found in both generic
    and dedicated drivers. A lot of it often comes down to the driver's control panel...if they even
    have one. The more aspects that can be tweaked from the driver's cpl....bit rate, buffer size
    etc.....the more flexable that driver is and, therefore, more able to adapt to different scenarios.

I prefer not to use generics at all unless absolutely necessary. That beind said, I find that FlexASIO,
    (combined with it's GUI app), lives up to its name.

https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO/releases

https://github.com/flipswitchingmonkey/FlexASIO_GUI/releases/tag/v0.35

6. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Well I used Vmeeter in past but I replaced it with the older Asio Link Pro router, that has lower latency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List