Stay away from Dropbox

Discussion in 'PC' started by Hazen, May 31, 2021.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks @GabsIT for the insights. My question to you, what do you think of "Cyber Polygon 2021"? https://www.weforum.org/platforms/the-centre-for-cybersecurity https://www.weforum.org/projects/cyber-polygon

2. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

A simple trick to protect my own music that I've been using for years is to put '...by <my real name>' after each song and nobody wants anything to do with them.

3. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Also for safety it's best to use unique passwords or just unique only for important things and of course have something as backup to store the passwords and only remember one really good one, keypass, an encrypted excel or a plain text encrypted in a rar or zip, I will never store important passwords in online apps, to me that is kind of a fake sense of security.

About Password Security this is a example of what I used in the past, so there is a basic algorithm that uses email, domain or user in combinations with hashes, so devops had something similar to this format with a set of different protocols so when we needed to share a password over a probably insecure service we just pass the user with the password protocol for example G1 will be a password that will start with the 2 first chars from the email/user, then all the hash1 then just 1 symbol of the hash2 and then the 2 first chars of the domain and finally the number of the protocol itself, now this is a quite dynamic example depending of the situation we used other less complex formats but also others even complex, specially for IaaS or domains access, but it's the idea. We also changed passwords regularly and a tight control of who had access.

I included the excel file with the same content and formulas of the screenshot
    just 7kb clean... https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...b298030e08544a31f0c6844ebb5b4c45519/detection
    upload_2021-7-25_22-41-34.png

@BEAT16 no idea, why do you ask?, I worked in security but my interest was more from the hacking/practical side, it seems to me that is basic training for business people with no idea of cybersecurity?

@rollerball yes, it's pointing out how hard will be to guess for crackers just with 3 chars and a random repeated one 21 times, anyway its 95^24, or near a 2.9 followed of 47 zeros of times to match the real password (2.91989024338773e+47)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021

Attached Files:

4. WHMedia

WHMedia Guest

Yea, I fucked up by telling dropbox to backup my desktop, but didn't realize how much that would constantly be uploading and lagging things, so I went into the settings and undid that. It was my mistake, and sure, it did a number on some things, but nothing I couldn't just laugh off. I should have been paying more attention. Don't back up your c: drive. It's not like Carbonite where it silently and slowly backs up in the background. Nope, it bogs things down. You have to be very meticulous about what you want to put into dropbox or tell it to back up.

User error. Through and through. Dropbox has been an amazing service for me throughout the years, and I'm not going to blast them for a time when I was an idiot and told it to back up a folder that was constantly having files move in and out, copied, deleted, etc. Lesson learned, hahaha, oops. That was a bad idea.

Not. FUCK DROPBOX.

It's a tool. Only a bad engineer blames his tools.

5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Very understandable

That's the key sentence for me and we should behave like that. But it makes life more complicated from day to day for the average people.

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

You'd be surprised. MD5 rainbow tables are still a thing unfortunately.

7. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

I can't imagine where?, old small companies? salted hash it's a standard for any open source project from at least 10 years, who will develop from scratch a login system using well known unsecured methods? fiverr? indian guys?

Also I just checked and Dropbox doesn't store plain text passwords and it uses salted hashes probably from the beginning, today most people get hacked for using cracks or dumb click-baits with executable or fake logins, Also I guess 20% of people here already had some sort of backdoor or virtual machine running when idle. nexus 3, vstcrack, 4download ?? I saw so many times qemu miners in installation or cracked files, not from audioz or magesy, but it's hard to say as people with good intention could copy and paste released and infected stuff and so easy to hide between so many gb of data.

It's easy to blame anyone else to avoid responsibility, as many people pointed out this post is more about a problem between the keyboard and the monitor.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. tiffanwalkers

tiffanwalkers Newbie

For Windows, I didn't use any software, I don't know what to suggest, but on Mac I recently started using Commander One, with its help you can connect dropbox ftp and generally use many different functions.

9. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

upload_2024-3-5_13-2-32.png

I hate this company so much.

10. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

Never trust the man. and remember anybody but you could be the man. Hard drives are cheap.
    backup your shit to your other shit, that way your shit, stays your shit and it never becomes the man's shit.

14tb seagate external drive 150$ december 2022 - thats where my backups go.. and it doesn't burn a single byte of internet bandwidth, to backup or restore anything.

11. Garamondo Furbish

online backup is like storing your clothes in a bus station locker, instead of your closet.
    yeah you can do it, but why would anyone want to share their personal items in a public place, and from my exploration, the internet is a rather filthy public place with really nice wallpaper to make it look homey and charming to bring in the suckers...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

My mind's not 100% at rest unless I have two off-site backups I can access at any time in addition to local backups.

13. Garamondo Furbish

get a safe deposit box at a local bank. When I did corporate IT work, the daily backups went off site to the bank. we ran nightly backups and weekly. if you run weekly and just run the difference daily, the worst you lose is a weeks work.

you can also get a fire safe or gun safe if you have a lot of stuff to store, and put your backups in there. Physical possession of your data is important. you can do both, the bank and the home safe. in case of war, the 1st thing that goes down is the internet, even if the war isn't in your country - once they start cutting cables and blowing up relay stations, reliability will disappear, even half a world away.

The only thing in the world secure, is things you control. I doubt you control the internet, its a fools errand to place you data in the hands of others and expect it to be as safe as in your own hands.

Remember businesses fail, assets are powered down and sold. Shit catches on fire, floods earthquakes. Some new kid accidentally formats all the servers...

Store you stuff closer to you, not on a server in India..

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Ichos

Ichos Producer

20240305_192312-COLLAGE.jpg

15. Garamondo Furbish

16. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Thanks man I really share your mentality,
    Just sent all of my savings to that Nigerian Prince that promised me 250 Bugatti's and a golden Tower to live in.
    People tried to warn me but obviously they are just jealous and don't got these 150 IQ Math skills.
    Sometimes you just gotta trust the process.
    See you later Brokie's:goodpost:

17. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

This is why people so often advise not to use Cloud storage as sole back-up. It's half the reason why I quit using Cloud storage as secondary or tertiary back-up.

Myself, I have a primary HDD and a HDD cloned from that, plus another HDD clone in my safe deposit box, which I retrieve, update and put back there once a month. I use HDD because (with Disk Drill, anyway), the data are almost 100% recuperable, whereas SSD is difficult if not impossible to recover.

I also clone my system drive periodically, especially after a lot of software updating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

:goodpost:

Egg-Zaktly! I'm right there with ya brother... I use almost the exact same backup process..

I have never used "cloudy" storage and never will. I must have total control over my own data at all times. Maybe it's the anal retentive tendencies rearing their ugly snout, but cloud storage never made sense to me. Especially since every other day you hear/read about some new data breach or hacked storage account... :thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List