Starting to get it

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by iseeghosties, Jun 30, 2022.

1. iseeghosties

iseeghosties Kapellmeister

So I know this one at the end, ends abruptly I should have faded it out longer which I thought I did but hey everyone makes mistakes.

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

my 2 cents, take down the hh a tiny bit and, where is the low end? can hardly hear the baseline, and the kick is too thin. did you use a reference track btw?

get Tonal Balance Control, put it on your master channel, that will help you get in the ballpark.
    Nice track, keep at it

4. iseeghosties

I get so many mixed reviews on the kicks I use haha Like some people say hey thats to punchy and then others not. I will look into that tonal balance. Is it just any random tonal balance plugin?

5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

review here? from who? and what track i would like to hear a "punchy" track from you hehe
    i dear to say nobody would say this is "punchy" at least

Tonal Balance Control, i dont know if its random, but yes its a tonal balance control, shows a "ballpark" curve, its not an fx.

since you have a hard time judging what is in the neighborhood, you need to use that to avoid the biggies. and not to be a pita but again. references in the project. lol
    Cheers

6. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

The way I see it, you have basically no audio aesthetic taste by the standards many of us are used to (be it pop music, trap music, electronic music, rock music, even experimental). Nevermind production skills - if you need feedback for these songs and you can't realize yourself that they are simply weak attempts, there's no feedback in the entire world that will teach you taste. This is your fight and your fight alone.

You have basically 2 options: make at least 200 songs while you also listen to a lot of music and hopefully listening will imprint some taste in you and that taste will eventually translate into your music. Or second option: make at least 200 songs while you also listen to a lot of music and if you're still struggling with making music by the time you reach 200, just give up - make sample packs, presets or whatever. (I don't think is wise to give up before making 200 sogs, but neither to continue after this amount of failure)

7. iseeghosties

Im going to look that up. and when you say like reference track should I just pull a track and just throw it in the DAW? then check the levels.

8. iseeghosties

Lol harsh much? So your saying every song I have made has either A sucked or B you wont get better.

9. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

A sucked - objectively & sound wise, yes. If I play it at very low volume, all of them completely collapse and there's nothing coherent to listen to anymore.

B won't get better - everything can get better. Question is does it significantly getting better? Right now you're an archer that misses the entire target by 500 meters. Yes, you can get better and miss the entire target with 50 meters but is still substandard. Ask for feedback when you at least hit the target and then you'll be able to successfully usa that feedback to hit the bullseye.

As I said, the root issue comes from taste - you're basically audio deaf, having a conversation with you is like trying to explain sound to a deaf person - we'll hardly make any progress. Prove me wrong

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

the first step towards actually "getting it" is realizing the amount of shit you don't even realize you do not know yet.
    He spent a lot of time typing that post, to summarize you need to do way more work to get started.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. iseeghosties

So what is your taste in music and how should music exactly be perceived? Your the first person to say you suck completely and utterly. Now my feelings are not going to get hurt because you are just one person but Now audio deaf what do you mean? I know what melody is, I know how to make melody. I know the piano like the back of my hand. Idk what you exactly want lol like you expect someone thats just starting off making music to be perfect?? I dont understand.

12. iseeghosties

I just wrote getting it as a ramble lol I didnt know what to say. I know it takes a ton of work to be a producer and to always learn. But hey ill keep trying even if mostly everything sucks there is someone that will probably listen to it.

13. iseeghosties

Okay so point me in a direction that I could take so that things end up being better. I think the only way to get better is to practice. And with that comes with alot of mess ups but eventually you learn and develop into being a better producer. What where your first steps like what did YOU do that made you a better producer or who or where did you learn from?

14. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

exactly, find a song in the style of what you are trying to make. These "landscapes" you are making are not techno or electro so that sort of loundness and compression may not be usefull, but find something that inspired you to make your tracks, im sure you know what i mean.

Put it in a audio-track in your project and then solo it and listen carefully and try to hear what kind of balance it has, drums vs instruments and as a complete track.

15. iseeghosties

Okay gotcha! thanks for the tip! the next song I make not like the next one but after that one I will do that and see how much of a difference I can make in producing it.

16. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

your word salad-rant is kind of useless.
    every stage has its own obstacles to pass, but they are relevant obstacles for that particular development stage.

you sound like a frustrated/failed musician, or like someone at home beat the hell out of you because you couldn't tie your shoes at 2 years old.

200 songs to what? everyone gets better with time and repetition. hardly enlightening or any sort of tip really

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  17. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

for where you are at at this moment you dont a lot to make it decent enough. then new stuff will come to overcome for sure. but thats all lots of fun

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. iseeghosties

Thanks for the kind words. I know it takes time and yes I do need to practice much more but hey im just starting so I just figure it takes time like you said. No one produces perfection overnight. At least from what I have seen haha

19. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

It's not about wether it's punchy, clear or whatever, but about wether it makes sense in the song. I think i've heard the punchy one (from the first chillwave thread i think?) And yes, it was punchy, but that song specifically didn't need that much punch, specially since it's supposed to be relaxing. Sometimes it's the other way around, sometimes something in the middle, it's all about context.

The reference thing is a very good idea, not sure about using the Tonal Ballance Control plugin since i personally find it a little loose, permissive and too smooth, or maybe i'm just too dumb to use it properly. Alternatively you could just use analyzers, i think RTA's are specially useful for analyzing references, specially when it comes to see what's going on with each individual instrument, easier to translate between the reference and your song too.

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's a pretty damn useful tip when you are learning. The more projects you can push into the later production stages, the more you can see exactly what sort of murder you can get away with in mixing/post. Half the tools you need to use don't even make sense to load up until you are way along into the project.

Not many people here will give the same bad advice over and over and over. Something might not make a lot of sense at first, but the first time you stumble upon something you have heard over and over and did not listen to smacks you right in the face; it's like oh! They were telling me this for a real reason! No wonder what that thing on all those records I used to love came from, etc....

21. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

hehe, right @mk_96 i agree regarding the tonal control its just like you say.

i just feel its a good way to at least keep him within some rough limits sonically since you witness some other track where he went the total opposite extreme:hahaha:.

but sure, then we know there is the universe to explore.
    just trying not to overwhelm him with opinions that will hardly stick when starting out.