Starting Record Labels

Discussion in 'digital labels' started by Soorena, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Soorena

Soorena Newbie

HI
    i produce music :grooves: , and im happy with it , but when its get to getting heard , i have many problems
    i searched in beatport site , SO MANY great artist start their releasing process with best LABELs! :excl:
    How does it work this way?
    WHY?
    why that label feel good with new people but does not answer my demo email!
    :break:

thanks for yor help

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Buy yourself a lottery ticket, better odds of winning :wink:

I think you are going to get some very interesting replies to your question of "why not me?" (again). Make sure you have your hard hat on.

Learn more marketing / promotion skills, and if you have talent that labels can sell and profit from, they will come knocking at your door (if you are lucky) :grooves:

By the way your webpage link is not really a good start, is it?

4. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I would recommend the last few chapters of David Byrne's book- "How Music Works" for some very good insight on this subject. He talks about the way the business used to be, the way it is now, and presents different models on how artists can approach the modern music business.

5. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

a lot of Professional Producers Mixing and Mastering engineers they are like Music artist they Have Music Managers and lawyers they are the one who are booking clients and going over contracts and fees so You can just concentrate on Making Music or Mixing and Mastering

and what you Need to do is Meet people go to the Clubs/Show's Were there are Rappers Singers Promoters DJ's of what ever type of Music you produce even if you don't do any Work with any of them be seen Get your Name out there and Don't Be full of shit just to Make your self look better don't make up things Like i'v done this and i'v done that Let your work/productions Speak for it's Self But all so it takes some Money you have herd of the saying (( IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY )) if you Have Money it is always easier to make more Money :grooves: Good Luck With all you are doing :wink:

6. gompo

gompo Ultrasonic

or just a perfect plan to make big money.

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You answered your own question: they're the best artists...or rather they're the best artists because a majority of twats listen to them. :rofl:

8. gompo

gompo Ultrasonic

they are the best artist because big artists promote them.. :)

9. T_Smart

T_Smart Newbie

Most times those artists have already put in a career using different monikers, or had an "in" I'm not saying you can't get lucky, people do. I was discovered on Soundcloud so it does happen, but not very often. What some of the other posts suggests, it really is a struggle for the majority of people to get their music onto labels. Even the smallest labels don't listen to most demos, again not saying they all don't but most don't. If your music is good and most important, if your music has something that the other millions of artists out there trying to make it aren't doing then it will speak for itself and if you keep sending it out you will eventually get a bite. I'm not trying to discourage you either, but a lost of artists can spend 10 and 20 years developing their craft to become that overnight success you see.

Cheers

10. fuad

fuad Producer

This is it right here. The problem is so many musicians think they will make it big by sitting behind their computer screens. It does NOT work that way. You have to put yourself out there and go and meet people, meet other musicians, go to the clubs, meet the dj's, and THEN go and sit behind your computer screen when you have them on sound cloud and Facebook and Skype. Start small, ask a dj to play your music, let them teach you how to dj and in exchange teach them how to produce. It's all about PR this business and you see it happening all the time, young "artists" making it huge out of nowhere, it has little to do with luck, luck comes when you put in the effort and you follow through.