Starting Out

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GonzoBeat, Mar 12, 2024.

1. GonzoBeat

GonzoBeat Newbie

Hello,

I hope this is posted in the appropriate forum sub-category?

I've literally just installed Ableton and gone through some basic tutorials on the use of the software, and would hope to create some music as a hobby/interest :)

I have a little background musical theory knowledge (scales, keys, chords, etc), and would like to experiment with some EDM type tracks.

But as I'm new to all this, I'm not sure on what learning path I should take. I've added some 'samples' to the tracks in Ableton and experimented creating a song, but not sure if 'mixing; other peoples samples is the right approach?

By listening to other EDM style tracks, layers of instrumentals seems to be the basic formation of the songs, along with the intro/build/drop/etc.

Basically, I'm trying to work out - is it acceptable generally to build a track just based on samples, perhaps at this stage, or should I take another route to understand more of the fundamentals of creating my own loops, etc.

Sorry if my terminology is not the best, slate my if you wish - any criticism is constructive learning (hopefully) x

3. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

Hi there,

In terms of whether or not to build a track based on samples - people are going to give you widely varying opinions on this. Some producers work solely using presets and sample / loop packs while others will be quite steadfast in generating and processing their own sounds from scratch.
    The latter has a learning curve many orders of magnitude larger and how far you want to get into this is something you will have discover for yourself.

Keep in mind that a sample can be the starting point for some very radical processing - it may have started out as something you found in a loop pack, but you've ended up processing and cutting it up beyond recognition into something entirely of your own making.

Another thing to be aware of is that there are unspoken rules around sampling that may or may not be enforced depending on your audience (i.e. musical style, whatever scene you may find yourself in, fellow producers, etc). For instance: using a pre-made one-shot sample (aka a single drum hit) as part of your drum kit is a completely acceptable, daily practice. Yet on the other hand, constructing a track entirely of pre-made percussive and melodic loops can be seen as a faux pas for obvious reasons (ie, in that case you did not even craft the melody - whoever made those loops did!). Although, in some genres, you might find this to be less of an issue. And when it comes to people scoring film, using loops and presets is quite common; mainly because it is a commissioned work with a hard deadline that likely has narrow aesthetic stipulations (ie, the producers want those Hans Zimmer 'brrrrrraaaaammssss' and that's the way it's gonna be if you want to get paid).

All in all, I would say keep exploring, don't put lofty expectations on yourself. It's fine to learn by copying but depending on what you really want out of it, it will be crucial to find your own voice. Hopefully, it all becomes joyful enough to pursue that these questions settle themselves in due time.

4. GonzoBeat

GonzoBeat Newbie

mondomorte - than you for taking time to reply.

I appreciate opinions would differ in this area, and its reassuring to know that some producers solely rely on using pre-sets/loops to create tracks.

For me, as a starting off point, I'm using pre-sets/loops to experiment with my DAW, and to learn how to structure my arrangements in terms of intros/build/drop/verse/etc. But I had this niggling feeling that solely using pre-sets/loops was cheating somewhat, which prompted me to post and get a some feedback from the community.

I'll persevere until I'm more accustomed to the use of my DAWs. And, perhaps when I have found me feet with my DAW and music arrangement skills, I'll learn how to create my own sounds for the music I want to create. It seems a long way down the road, but will take/learn small steps on the way.

Thanks again, GonzoBeat!

5. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Don't let anyone dismiss your way as cheating. You're kinda limited by sticking to pre-made stuff, but wash the cheating word out of your mouth. Boom Bap (a type of rap) is completely sample-based and I really like it.

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Everything above. Everything is inspired by something else. Even that rare genius inspiration.
    Ableton lets you do crazy things with samples. Sampler is awesome but with Simpler, you can actually sector and sequence.
    If YOU feel like you're cheating, add an Audio Effect Rack to your chain. Then add another.

And then there's Foley Room

7. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

That's a good example of the unspoken rules I was referring to. Something like boom bap, where the producer might flip 4 bars off an old record and re-appropriate it into something new is, at least in my mind, somewhat different than using a 4 bar loop from a sample pack that is already specifically crafted for that genre. It's not wrong or cheating per se, but I suppose it does reduce the whole cultural experience of crate digging into something prefabricated and marketable. I think there's something to say for that.

8. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

First step or leap of faith? I'm so OCD, I barely get my shoes on. Call me coward but it's slowly happening

10. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I agree with this! :). RZA of Wu-Tang is one of many talented producers of Boom Bap. His work on the MPC really grabbed me on 36 Chambers.