Starting from scratch: to rebuild or not to rebuild ?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by michaelv, Aug 4, 2016.

1. michaelv

michaelv Noisemaker

Further to a recent thread of mine, which was about K5 crashing, I had some very useful responses in the end , and Dupree's and plomerus' suggestion were great. I like Dupree's idea of removing all the xml's and, by elimination, discover the culprit (s).

I got K5 to work again, and having stepped back and thought about this, I now want to start from scratch and add all the libraries again, making sure there are no conflicting SNPID's to trip me up. Bunford's amazing list will help. I've already found a couple of conflicting id's in my collection, by just scrolling through his list.

Right now I have an empty SC xml folder, except for the newly installed K5 one. What I want to know is , in order to be completely fresh, am I correct in assuming that I should completely remove all library plists from both preference folders ? Given that there seemed to be plist issues in my crash log, this sounds like a must to me, but just want to confirm with those who know better.

Many thanks. Amazing forum :)

3. michaelv

michaelv Noisemaker

Thank you, Sir, for confirming my thoughts. This list of yours: is it on this site ? Does it have a name I can search for it by ,please ?

I definitely intended to put in those Powered by… libraries as a priority. I do also work with Files, but it always feels more fiddly than nice distinctive banners , ordered in logical sections. I guess it's a case of most oft used taking priority.

Edit: I guess if I type your name in it'll come up from that…...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You can categorize your Instruments and Multis in the Quickload.
    Right click and add new folder. Give it a label like 'Piano', 'Percussion', whatever, then create another folder within that with the actual library name and drag your Instruments/Multi into the second folder.

5. michaelv

michaelv Noisemaker

Many thanks for this, plumerus. A great cross reference and time -saver, to be sure.

6. michaelv

michaelv Noisemaker

:no:
    Thank you, Pinkman, I was vaguely aware of this, and will look into it further. Trouble is, I like all them pretty pictures…..:no:

7. michaelv

michaelv Noisemaker

Ps, I wish there was an app that would "automatically" scan for conflicting SNPID's and list them …...

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You're not alone. :yes:

9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@michaelv These tools are pretty old but they still work for me and I'm on 64-bit Windows 10.

Native Instruments - Homecooked Tiny Toolz 1-6

Tool #2 - the SNPIDLOCATOR will:

List any stored SNPID entry at your System \ inside any *.xml-file
    Looks if a SNPID (that you type in a text-box before, already exists, so you can get sure before adding new custom-SNPID's

It has more features too. Check the README.

Also make sure to run it as Admin.

@NYCGRIFF you might find this useful too, if you don't already have it. I know you mentioned using the LM Custom Kontakt Library Tool 3.0 and I believe this older but still a good tool to have.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  10. michaelv

michaelv Noisemaker

Many thanks, Pinkman, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately ( for me, in this case ) I'm not a Windows person. Mac, here. I'll have to use Introninja's instructions, using a text tool to check through for any doubles. Anyway, still ploughing g through the rebuild. Should have all the SNPID's checked and cross-checked for conflicts today. Tomorrow I'll start adding the libraries. Tedious, but definitely worth it, I'm sure. Then it's a matter of being careful in future….

11. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

For Mac users:

Fire up Terminal and paste in it:
    Code:
    grep -i snpid "/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Service Center/"*.xml | awk -F'[<>]' "{ print \$3 }" | sort -n
    and you'll get a sorted list of all registered libs' SNPIDs

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List