SSL SubGen Alternative?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Hildegard, Jul 4, 2024.

1. Hildegard

Hildegard Noisemaker

Hi Friends,
    hence the title, curious if anyone could recommend me a similar VST, more likley a cheaper alternative to SSL's SubGen? I am quite pessimistic because SubGen , even if its a one trick pony, it does the trick (adding Sub) REALLY well.
    Is there maybe a Trick for a similar result in Ozone 11?
    I also used a Plug In called Subkick by Hitshaper but it does ONLY apply Sub to the Kick while SubGen can even be used on a whole Mix.

ty in advance,

Hildegard

Links:

SubGen costs 80.- which is simply not in my Budget.
    https://store.solidstatelogic.com/plug-ins/subgen

Subkick only works with Kick (but has a humanising function which comes quite handy)
    https://hitshaper.com/plug-ins/subkick

3. Hildegard

Hildegard Noisemaker

SubgeN not SubgeB sorry for the misspelling in the header guys.

4. omiac

omiac Moderator Staff Member

@Hildegard fixed the title for you :winker:

*Q: is this a software plugin question or are you looking for general "mixing" techniques to achieve these results? If the former, this thread should be moved to the Software section.

5. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

The cheapest 3rd party method I know of is Kiloheart's Snapheap.
    You need the filter snapin with bandpass, the pitch snapin, the distortion snapin, the pitch tracker mod and the audio follower mod. You don't necessarily need everything at once, but with these components you can really cover every desired result in this specific application.

Maybe just check first if there is a pitch follower or tuner with MIDI output in your DAW. If so, you could simply add a synth after it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Many of them are both instrument and fx plugin, but this one is just an audio effect plugin. There are a bunch of them, but this is likely the best sounding and nicest features I have seen. Some others like it are ISM Kikzilla, Denise Subgenerator, bx_subsynth, Maddix Rumble, and the list continues. I'd probably take the SSL over most, if not all of them. I just use a Logic Test Oscillator and Noise Gate most of the time. The SSL has all the effects bells and whistles.

Not that I am going to pay $80 for it, either.

7. TheRiddler303

TheRiddler303 Kapellmeister

tried Mbassador by Melda or Lowender by reFuse?

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Sorry I've only just seen this. Try Nomad Factory COSMOS .. It is part of the Nomad Factory Magnetic 3 Bundle!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

I'd recommend bass mint, everything unfiltered audio does is great. even if the list price is $149 plugin alliance software is often on sale for like $30

10. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

as Clone stated, oscillator and a gate is the cheapest option. In my opinion, its also the best option. You have full control. You can use any sound, it doesnt need to just be a sinewave or whatever. You can add harmonics before or after the gate, you can control the timing via the gate, etc etc etc. Depending on what you are trying to do, it may take a little more trickery than just a gate and noise source. As Sinus Well pointed out, a pitch tracker may be needed, if you dont have the midi / chord progression to feed the oscillator

To be honest, the synth video example on the SSL product page sounds like shit. Im honestly surprised they even have it up lol. on the kick example, sure, sounds good. The synth example sounds bad.

11. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

seconding this. everything unfiltered audio is awesome. One of my all time fav dev's. bass mint is really good.

12. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Isn't this similar to Tone Projects Basslane Pro and Denise Audio's Bass XXL with Sub Generator?

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

14. Alexander Foxx

Alexander Foxx Member

Waves Submarine

15. DarkV

DarkV Member

Unfiltered Audio BassMint or Denise Audio Bass XXL

Also going to try Tone Projects Basslane Pro but can't say nothing about it but those two are good and helped me a lot

16. Katze

Katze Kapellmeister

Bruh, use Google.

All those tools mentioned here are doing a good job, you don't have to find a special low end generator, what make you think you had to?

LOVEND is basically UAD Voice of God for free, I recall Paul Third saying something like that

• List
  17. ItsFine

ItsFine Rock Star

KNOCK Plugins That Knock replaced ALL my sub generators (and YES, i tested all market)

BBE Sonic Maximizer for more subtle/balanced/whole mix work (different beast, dont work the same way)

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  18. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

RBass is still my go to plugin for that purpose. I also like what the freebie SK 10 can do to add subs to kicks. Recently used the freebie "Refire" by Outobugi, which is heavily inspired from the commercial plugin KNOCK. It has a great sub module and other features to enhance bass.

I have Bass Mint, but I didn't like it very much. All the modes sound overly synthetic, no matter how much you tune the parameters. Maybe it's suitable for electronic-sounding genres, but not so good if you want organic sounding results.

19. Mit

Mit Noisemaker

Rbass is different to SubGen, RB adds higher harmonics, SG is adding lower frequencies/harmonics.

20. ItsFine

ItsFine Rock Star

21. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

To me what matters most is the sound, not how it’s achieved. If I want more powerful sounding bass, I favour RBass over Bass Mint under any circumstances.