SSL 4000 console emulated mixing setup in a DAW

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by korte1975, Jul 5, 2017.

1. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

so by studying the SSL4000 signal chain for some time i felt that just putting a ssl4000 channel strip plugin on the channels don't cut it. i think the whole chain must be replicated from the preamps, tapes, mixing board, tape again. i use Slate VMR , VTM and VerbSuite Classics.

so my idea is :

Recording stage:

!!! warning this cannot be undone as these plugins are on the input channels !!!
    (edit : of course these can be dropped as inserts as well, putting them on the input channels and "print" them is more risky - i like :) , and yes this way you have 2 tape plugins on the channels.

1. get a low to medium-strenght signal in.
    2. preamp plugin module
    3. tape plugin VTM

[​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------

Channel mixing:

1. drop signal by -18dB with a mixtool/gain tool or internally in vmr with the trim module (so i can drive plugins which saturate, harder).
    2. Tape plugin again ( the recorded multitrack tape was/is played back and fed into the SSL desk channels)
    3. VCC channel module (emulating the desk inputs)
    - FG-S Brit 4k EQ module
    - FG-401 compressor, or a nice 1176.

[​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------

Busses :

send everything to busses ! :)

gain tool -> vmr mixbus ->fg-s 4k eq -> fg 401 comp or 1176.

[​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------

Auxes : verbsuite classic -> vmr mixbus -> fg-s 4k eq -> fg 401 comp

[​IMG]
    --------------------------------------

Master : fg 401 -> VTM Tape.

[​IMG]

what you's think ? makes sense ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I could be terribly wrong, but running the signal twice through a tape emulation cold be overkill. Recording it through tape adds some mild compression to the signal, with an added sense of glue. It helps sit the low end of tracks and all those goodies tape is known for. Hoverver, if you overcook it, the signal could start to lose focus and get smeared, losing transient definition. Please, set me straight if I'm wrong, but I'd say once you run it through tape, it's done. Ditch the tape emulation before console in mixing.

4. TK

TK Member

The most simple way would be Slate VCC channel into SSL Duende channelstrip - into Slate VCC bus on subgroups - into Slate VCC bus
    on Master or 2bus. But whatever works works.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

this may/may not be proper, but i do a so-called ssl console emulation in just abt ever mix i do. this is mine:

1. every audio channel gets a tape emulation first (usually waves q-clone/tritone colortone/ferric TDS, or whatever works and is CPU lite), into the waves ssl 4000G strip (which i think emulates the whole channel from direct input to output). the tape emu softens the signal before it hits the channel strip. then the waves NLS (spike setting), which also emulates ssl 4000G, on the last insert of the channel.

2. on the group busses, insert the waves NLS buss (spike) in last insert

3. put another waves NLS buss on your final buss channel/submix buss/2-buss (not the unity gain master channel, unless that's your thing) in first insert.

4. route channels/group busses to VCA groups in the final buss

5. send it all to tape/eq/comp/etc (again, if that's your thing)

i try to to stick with 4000G all the way thru. i also do this with the slate VCC and VRM from time to time, just depends on how i feel.

as far as what you do, if you get the results you want with how you're doing it, keep pushing...but nothing wrong with experimenting with different configs either.

i "emulate" EMI, NEVE, and API desks using a combo of waves, acustica audio, slate, airwindows, sonimus, etc.

depend on your ears always.

and always gain stage.
    good luck! :like:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

You'll have to account for repro and rec heads on the tape. Most of the time signal is run through the dynamics and eq - not to mention outboard stuff - before signal hits tape for the first time. Make sure the tape emulation you're running has a record/repro head option... SSLs are routing matrix beasts. Emulating the matrix of a 4K can be done more than several ways....

7. TK

TK Member

It's common to use tape - console - tape. With tape emus you can also drastically undercook the signal since you can turn the hiss off.
    What's far more harmful is using too many plugins on a signal regardless of the quality of the plugin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

U can't go wrong with a good GUI :bleh:

9. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

actually it's three times. tape to record, tape for playback, and tape to print at the end
    yeah gainstaging. i always drop it between plugs and bring it back with saturators/comps.

thanks for the feedback. do you people compress the busses / auxes ? i do.

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Good effort, korte1975! Would be nice to have an A/B to see (hear) the difference.

I have access to a real SSL 4000G and I have a friend who (on that console) did a rough "Presonus Studio One + Slate plugins VS.mixing on the 4000G alone"-test. It was quite a huge difference. :) the SSL had so much cream and iron. Studio One was cold and naked.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. TW

TW Guest

Thats exactly what i do.

The only thing that is different is i often put a "preamp emulation" (slate, kush omega, acustica, redline preamp- on clean tracks that are created in the box or recorded through really clean peramps before the first tape emu. Some trakcs benefit from some preamp colour. I often even print the preamp + the first tape to the tracks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

i do that as well! i like to set the kush omega to the lowest intensity & activate the -20dB button (it gives a soft compression effect like the tape emu, making it suitable for replacement or to stack before tape). so it can replace the tape, or go before it.

13. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i try before after.

14. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

And try not to use Slate Digital as VST3, especially in Reaper (don't know about its behavior in other DAWs), because low level input/output truncates the sound. Experiment with it and you will see what I am talking about. Sometimes you say there is a lot of different between nuances, but huge difference between dirty shit and precisely clean you don't hear. Always test your plugins you work with, do not read their hyped ads.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

all my slate's are vst3 format , they never gave any troubles and they r easy to install.

16. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Console 1 and UAD Studer on each channel and Console 1 and UAD Ampex on the master. But it's not the real thing.

17. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

the real thing is 400 large

18. tooloud

tooloud Guest

19. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

anyways, this is my workflow when i'm mixing, gives me sweet sounding results. cheers everyone !

20. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star