squelchy/distorted bass sound

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Backtired, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

first seconds.
    i was trying to recreate this sound just to practise a little bit.
    it is an octaved-bass going up and down, pretty basic (i think the last 2 notes might be different). the filter opens at the end.
    what i'm missing is the characteristic sound. the notes are quite deep. i've tried playing around with the envelope and that's the main point to achieve the squelchiness, alright. but i can't replicate the "heavily distorted" sound quality.
    what do you think? my guess is that's just an old synth with the drive up to 11, then sampled. any ideas?

ps bangin' tune

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there's a lot of distortion. What you'd need is a sawtooth and a triangle, low cutoff, pretty high filter env amount with quite some resonance and a fast decay and of course a bit attack time for the amp.
    Even if the notes are pretty low, the low freqs are not high in level -> lowcut/low shelf.
    You can try this with free OB-Xd.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

thanks avenger, i was so obsessed with distorting the sound or using a different synth that i had completely forgotten the existence of triangle waves and it's so nice the way they blend with other types, well dumb me!
    thanks a lot