Spitfire uses the same samples in all of its related libraries since Christ!

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by jazzzz, Dec 29, 2018.

?

When did they record their samples?

1. Before Christ

65.4%
  2. After Christ

34.6%
  1. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

You're f***ing kidding me!
    Examining some of the strings libraries, I found out (the almost obvious) that the recorded samples are the same for every libraries. Sable, Mural, Chamber, Contemporary... But the most impressive is having used the same sample even to create Symphonic Strings which is supposed to be a larger section. Wow!
    But they're really good at this! I mean, really! You can listen to these libraries and think they are different because they sound different, thanks to different amount of reverb, different panning, altered attack and digitally increased vibrato sounds etc.

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. vector99

vector99 Kapellmeister

how did you find out ? :)

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

He used "jdupes -r -d *" on the whole Spitfire library, I wager. :wink:

To tell the truth, I wouldn't be surprised. Studio time costs a lot, and you have to pay the musicians, too. It's really expensive to make really good sounding sample libraries.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I bet ALL sample makers do the same

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Nooo.. we would never do that :winker:

I don't have any empirical proof ..but you're probably 90% right. At least on "my friend's" disk, Mural is more than twice the size of Symphonic. And that's even stated on their site under Spitfire Mural R.I.P. - Press Release..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I can believe it. There certainly is a tonal similarity between their 'fine brushes' and massive ensembles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. zpaces

zpaces Producer

VSL and EWQL do it for ages! Their samples are older than everything else on the market.
    But Spitfire has more talent in recycling.

• List
  9. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

One day, they will add a doubler on samples and say "new lib, doubled orchestra size !" :rofl:

PS : as a side note, i ALREADY use "enhancers" (ex : bbe maximizer) on small libraries (ex : Garritan Instant Orchestra) and get an amazing result.
    Symphobia like. Yes, really near.
    You can try it :wink:

• Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  10. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

yes sure if he has buy it he have the rights to complain about , but if he didnt buy it himselves he have not , i also want see crc checks and proves that really all samples are the same and not some are rerecordet .

thats true , people even dont know that you can layer some librarys together to make very good results , they dont even needs the latest and expensive Librarys to make their Music .

Yes because they are very well recorded , and enhanced to the player technique , especially VSL .

11. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I have never purchased a Taylor Swift album. I have a total lack of invoices to prove it. Yet, I feel quite at liberty to say I dislike her music.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

but they can't create new articulations. :rofl: But I hate when they include the new mic and mix to increase the size of the library.

If you or anyone knows, how can I create a room sound with the close mic?

Sometimes close mic is very wide (violins hard left, cellos hard right). Simple reverb does not work.

• List
  13. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I think it's really ok if a company recycles their samples as long as they state it.

15. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

This opens up a range of questions. But namely, can you provide steps to reproduce the findings?
    I have my own set of suspicions, and still wondering why noone implemented (legato) Intensity for Chamber, as most of these legato intervals are too loud and get in the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I also think that SF to some degree re-uses part of their sample material from library to library but I find it hard to believe that SF has got an estranged and famous studio like AIR Studios and a lot of well-known musicians to set up for a giant deception regarding their participation in large recording sessions paid by SF.
    It smells a bit of a kind of conspiracy theory if I have to say my honest opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Not even to some degree
    Think about it for a sec or two
    Every bloody library will have all this hired musicians (FREE from other job so they can be at Air studios for a long time)
    All the time it requires which is maybe 1000,s of hours and of course many many recordings not to mention re recordings of failures that MUST have happend as i bet nobody just put up a mic and let the player plays the part and it will end up just fine in ONE TAKE every time.
    Nah!! i dont think they got the money to do that and not the time as they seems to spit out new libs very often
    Remeber they also need to do the script and GUI aswell to the librarys and alot of other stuff that takes alot of time or do they have 100,s of employes?
    Also when is Air studio gonna let others use their facility..
    So yes i bet they used the same samples over and over again.

• List
  18. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

"for this particular Strings library, we've recorded 130 oboes playing the same note " :deep_facepalm:

19. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Repackaging the same samples into different products can be a consequence of most musicians not being interested in doing in-depth sound editing inside Kontakt. So SF does the job for you :winker:

20. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I actually believe that SF makes enough money to hire a full orchestra and Air Studios now and then.
    If this statement (picture) is trustworthy it should give you an idea of what kind of money SF can make:

LAB.PNG

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Luckily, you don't need an invoice to demonstrate that something is a scam.
    You are lacking of logic.
    Selling libraries as different, and at the price they sell them, when the samples are mostly the same but recycled, is not honest, and that fact have nothing to do with the fact that he would have bought it or not.

At the contrary, this will help potential consumers to decide to buy them or not based on truth.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List